• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A4s without Casings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucan

Established Member
In another (non-railway) forum someone made the comment that some A4s would run in service in later years without the streamlined casing. I have never heard of this happening. Of course he may have been confusing it with the LMS Coronation class, or the SR Merchant Navy class. Does anyone know the truth of this?

I have seen a photo of an A4 being overhauled in the works with some casing off, and AFAIR there was an ugly mass of pipes etc exposed. I cannot imagine running in service like that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In another (non-railway) forum someone made the comment that some A4s would run in service in later years without the streamlined casing. I have never heard of this happening. Of course he may have been confusing it with the LMS Coronation class, or the SR Merchant Navy class. Does anyone know the truth of this?

I have seen a photo of an A4 being overhauled in the works with some casing off, and AFAIR there was an ugly mass of pipes etc exposed. I cannot imagine running in service like that.

I assume they mean the wheel valances? These were removed during the war to make maintenance easier, and weren't refitted by BR.

Bittern regained it's wheel valances for when it made its 90mph runs some years back.

I don't think the actual nose casing would be removed given the A4s retained this under BR but the LMS Coronations were de-streamlined.

nlogax

Established Member
A4s don't look -that- ugly under the skin :smile: Only the panel frames mar their 'naked' appearance. There's a great pic by Alan Burkwood of Mallard being returned to steam in 1985. Panel-free and yet still looks pretty good to these (non-expert) eyes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66202473@N04/31012637448

29.9.1985. LNER Gresley A4 Pacific 4-6-2 No 4468 'Mallard', minus its cladding , is steamed for the first time since being withdrawn from BR.

randyrippley

Established Member

I suspect someone got confused with the P2s, which were rebuilt as unstreamlined Pacifics - the A2/2

Enthusiast

I was an ardent follower of the ECML either side of the years that steam was replaced. I saw A4s almost daily between Kings Cross and Stevenage and down to Peterborough occasionally. I never, ever, saw a naked Streak.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was an ardent follower of the ECML either side of the years that steam was replaced. I saw A4s almost daily between Kings Cross and Stevenage and down to Peterborough occasionally. I never, ever, saw a naked Streak.
Or put another way, ‘A Streak doing a streak’...

Status
Not open for further replies.