Abandoned freight train

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Old Yard Dog, 14 Feb 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

An abandoned freight train caused mayhem today after the driver dumped his 36 wagon set outside Nottingham station. The eastern approach was blocked for over an hour while a replament driver wasferried in from Toton. The 1227 to Lincoln was cancelled while the 1245 to Skegness left 50 mins late & terminated at Boston having done the Grantham avoider.

2. Juniper Driver

Juniper Driver Established Member

If that's correct that's total madness.

Link?

3. GB

GB Established Member

It wasn't abandoned and it wasn't dumped. The driver didn't have the required route knowledge and no forward driver had been booked on in error.

4. Juniper Driver

Juniper Driver Established Member

Fair enough...we don't actually know what happened.

5. PaxVobiscum

PaxVobiscum Established Member

Are you practising writing for the tabloid press or what? :)
    Don't forget the driver's age and any similarly irrelevant personal details (tattoos, hairstyle, enthic origin, orientation etc.)

6. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

And if its it the Daily Mail how much his house is worth

7. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Presumably the Ratcliffe train, 36 wagons on a coal service doesn't sound right or is Ratcliffe biomass now?

8. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

and HS2 and ticket prices! :D

9. TB93

TB93 Member

23 coal sets go into Ratcliffe,30/32 oil tanks for Kingsbury so I don't know what would be 36 wagons as someone else said DM all over this.lol

10. Bertie the bus

Bertie the bus Member

36 HAAs. Not that power station coal trains have consisted of HAAs for a number of years.

11. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Well the 1245 to Skegness from Nottingham ran 15 minutes late and ran right through to Skegness....

12. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

If that is true, couldnt they find some siding, loop or freight line to stick the thing in? I didnt count the wagons but there were loads of them and they were covered. DRS? The trsin still fouled the junction aftrr moving forard into the station

13. Legzr1

Legzr1 Member

I'm not familiar with the area but I'd take a stab in the dark and say if there was a loop or siding that could have been used perhaps that's the first thing they'd have done!

Or perhaps it really was an ignorant driver prepared to risk his career and refuse to move without good reason just to annoy a few passengers ;)

I know in other parts of the country, signallers will require contact with the relieving driver before allowing a train booked for relief to get close to the point of no return/no loop etc (especially if they've been stung before...)
    Having said that, FOC controls have been know to arrange out of course relief without actually telling NR, the relieving driver or even the current driver - they're human, they're fallible.

14. CallySleeper

CallySleeper Established Member

No, if I'm understanding the OP correctly I'm surprised that the driver's route knowledge stopped at Eastcroft and didn't include the station.

15. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Not the first and certainly will not be the last.

When I have acted as an ES or PICOP in the past I have had numerous occasions when I have gone up to the driver of a Ballast train and asked him to move within the worksite / possession and even to get rid of him off possession and had the disgruntled mutter of "Don't know the road mate"
    Phone call to control and threat of delay minutes sometimes got results from the train company.

16. Tomnick

Tomnick Established Member

This one? As an educated guess, it was possibly held short of the station awaiting the forward driver, as running it into the station (with the back end now fouling the whole of the east end) really would stuff the job up if the driver signed no further. The new layout does seem very much lacking in this respect - as they could be run through and beyond platform 6 (as was) to the relieving point on the Up Slow. I seem to remember a sectional appendix instruction that trains were to be taken forward onto the Up Goods towards Beeston if relief wasn't immediately available though - did the route knowledge previously guarantee that this would be an option?

17. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

God bless the OP for the report...despite its inaccuracies...:roll:

Crossover is correct. It was the previous Skegvegas that was affected (11:45 ex Nott'm). Likewise the 12:27 ran ECS to Lincoln to commence its next working.

For the record Tomnick is spot on with the train, and his theory. The train was loaded to 23 HTA wagons.

18. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

If you don't sign the route, you don't go any further. It's really as simple as that. It looks like the roster clerk is going to get a size 9 planted firmly .................!

19. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

I think a Liverpool Norwich may also have been split and half sent back
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    ... after dumping all the passengers off the train and back on to Platform 1. I'm guessing that the conductor must have been marooned in the queue of trains east of the station.

There is nothing more frustrating than being turfed off a train and then see it depart empty stock to its intended destination.

20. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

To be honest I am not sure the Nottingham rebuild has turned out to be very succesful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.