• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abandoned wagons and rolling stock on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas

I was passing through Cleland en route to Edinburgh Waverley today for the first time since electrification. At Cleland I kept an eye out for the abandoned wagon I used to see in the disused sidings that was trapped by trees only to find that it has been removed. Probably as part of the electrification program.

Are there any other examples of wagons or coaches etc in full view of the mainline around the UK? I'm not referring to stored stock, I mean well and truly forgotten about former assets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
The Shenfield Shark is going to be hard to beat here. According to flickr it was still in its usual place last month:

A comment on this picture taken in 2009 says that, at that time, it had already been there at least 20 years.

The Shenfield Shark is definitely not forgotten. I think that a few years ago there was an attempt to move it that ended in defeat.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There are 2 x GUV type vehicles, a drop sided wagon and an HAA wagon that have been at Bletchley for over a decade. They must have been there at least 20 years

fkofilee

Haywards Heath has one towards the south of the Station that I have never seen used in 7 years of travelling down to Brighton

driver9000

Established Member
There's a TOPE wagon at Ince Moss Junction which has been resident for around 25 years.

D6130

Established Member
There are - or were until recently - a couple of EWS-liveried TEA 100 tonne bogie oil tankers entwined amonst the silver birch trees in what's left of Healey Mills yard.

DannyMich2018

There used to be an abandoned brake van at Ancaster (on the Skegness line, east of Grantham) back in the mid 2000s not sure if it's still there now?

fgwrich

Established Member
There are 2 x GUV type vehicles, a drop sided wagon and an HAA wagon that have been at Bletchley for over a decade. They must have been there at least 20 years
1 is a GUV, the other a rather burnt out Mk1 BG.

Tavistock Junction also has a small collection of long stored stock - a few years ago it also had a Shark and a former Royal Mail van.

meepmeep

There used to be what I believe was a Motorail wagon on the left as you came out of Euston, just before you enter Primrose Hill Tunnel.

It was there all the years I commuted into London. It even survived Railtrack's remodel of the Euston throat. Maybe HS2 works has finally gotten rid? Not sure as I am a long way North now

Efini92

Established Member
There’s a wagon in the sidings at Helsby. Not sure how long it’s been there, at least 30 years if not more.

TheBigD

Established Member
There an abandoned brake van at Manea on the former (long disconnected) down siding.

If my memory is correct, it was removed from the back of the Chesterton Junction to Whitemoor engineers train on Christmas eve 1989.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any number of abandoned wagons and old rolling stock in the near vicinity of Carnforth station. ;)

gc4946

There an abandoned brake van at Manea on the former (long disconnected) down siding.

If my memory is correct, it was removed from the back of the Chesterton Junction to Whitemoor engineers train on Christmas eve 1989.

Vintage Carriages' Trust Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey Project identifies this wagon as ex-Southern Railway 25T brake van S55945 http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=16184
I searched the database under "Present location" and brought up this result

DBS92042

Established Member
I don't know if the National Wagon Preservation Group is aware of the HAA there, they've been acquiring them now for several years http://www.nwpg.co.uk/
Its a HEA rather HAA, and I believe its now acting as the bufferstop and has a tree growing from it.
There's also the collection of wagons and RES Mk1s outside Willesden PRDC/Willesden Brent that have been there a good while now (20 years?)

alf

On Moderation
There used to be what I believe was a Motorail wagon on the left as you came out of Euston, just before you enter Primrose Hill Tunnel.

It was there all the years I commuted into London. It even survived Railtrack's remodel of the Euston throat. Maybe HS2 works has finally gotten rid? Not sure as I am a long way North now
Cut up on site when they turned the short cripple siding it squatted on at Primrose Hill into a full length electrified 11 car Pendolino siding before Covid.

I am told the 11 car pendolino berth was put in to replace a siding removed on the up side close to Euston.
Apparently the new siding has never been used.

DustyBin

Established Member
There are some (at least two) long abandoned wagons on the Catford Loop near Ravensbourne. They’ve been there for as long as I can remember. I thought they may be “Warwells” but somebody once told me that they are actually “Flatrols”. They’re very overgrown and to be honest I don’t know that much about wagons so I’d be interested to know for sure myself. Why they’re abandoned there I have no idea!

ExRes

Established Member
There are some (at least two) long abandoned wagons on the Catford Loop near Ravensbourne. They’ve been there for as long as I can remember. I thought they may be “Warwells” but somebody once told me that they are actually “Flatrols”. They’re very overgrown and to be honest I don’t know that much about wagons so I’d be interested to know for sure myself. Why they’re abandoned there I have no idea!

They were there 25 years ago that I know of, I was told they were the leftovers of a derailment, true story or railway story I don't know, I'm pretty certain they were vacuum pipe only so probably well over the 25 years

Towers

Established Member
The Shenfield Shark is going to be hard to beat here. According to flickr it was still in its usual place last month:

A comment on this picture taken in 2009 says that, at that time, it had already been there at least 20 years.

The Shenfield Shark is definitely not forgotten. I think that a few years ago there was an attempt to move it that ended in defeat.
I wonder if there's still a bloke out there somewhere who shunted it in there? :)

Dave W

Not as long as some other examples but somewhere on the Brighton Main Line (possibly directly north of Balcombe Tunnel?) there’s a ballast wagon which has been dumped in a siding ever since I started travelling that way for work in mid 2016.

gg1

Established Member

If that's correct it would have been dumped not log after it was repainted into it's mid/late 80s 'Dutch' civil engineers livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.