• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abandoned wagons and rolling stock on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irascible

Established Member
I had forgotten about the Reading ones and it was me that started the thread about them!, I will go and have a look for them soonm
They - or something in that position - are still there in the latest google earth imagery I can provoke it into showing, from 7/2021. I wonder when they were left there...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

karlos

There was a brake van that lived on the Shotton Paper sidings on the Borderlands line that I remember seeing in the early 90s. Google Earth suggests it wasn't removed until around 2018/19.

jj1314

There used to be a bogie tanker wagon in a siding between Long Rock and Penzance. Looking on Google Earth it appears to still be there.
Not anymore! They've been removed within the past 3 months, presumably as part of the work to build new sidings for 9-car IETs. Quite a stark change if you know the area well.

Spartacus

Established Member

Shimbleshanks

There was a well wagon for years in an siding on the up side at New Cross Gate; it only disappeared when they built the London Overground depot and tidied the whole area up. And I remember a bogie wagon abandoned on an aggregates depot siding at Godstone - on the Redhill-Tonbridge line - in the early 2000s that was there for many years.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They were recently offered for sale by Network Rail (tenders closed in late January I think), so they may well be on the move soon.

On site scrapping of these vehicles is under way. The carriages have had thier body work removed and a mechanical muncher is setting about the rest

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
There appears to be some steam era wagons ( small 4 wheel tankers and wooden sided trucks of some type) abandoned on the old railway sidings just outside Shettlestone on the Airdrie to Bathgate line. Probably the oldest items I've seeing laying about on the national network personally.

Drsatan

Established Member
I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a ballast hopper and a guards van parked in a siding near Ryde St Johns station on the Isle of Wight.

I think they've been there since the early 1990s.

gc4946

There appears to be some steam era wagons ( small 4 wheel tankers and wooden sided trucks of some type) abandoned on the old railway sidings just outside Shettlestone on the Airdrie to Bathgate line. Probably the oldest items I've seeing laying about on the national network personally.

From the Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey Project's database, present location Shettlestone OTP [On-Track Plant] Depot
PO 45158 tank http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=14983
B 954479 brake van http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=13559
B 783686 goods van http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=14985
BR 460951 plate wagon http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=14984

route101

Established Member

route101

Established Member
There some wagons abandoned at Micheldever, looks like the car freight wagons.

beano900

There’s an old motor rail wagon in the sidings at Longsight - on the western side of the main line. it’s been there for years - maybe they use it as a shed or something

Western Sunset

Established Member
There's a bogie open box wagon by the stops at the end of the Tytherington branch. Not sure whether it's been abandoned, or to provide some protection to the buffer stops there.

E27007

There are some (at least two) long abandoned wagons on the Catford Loop near Ravensbourne. They’ve been there for as long as I can remember. I thought they may be “Warwells” but somebody once told me that they are actually “Flatrols”. They’re very overgrown and to be honest I don’t know that much about wagons so I’d be interested to know for sure myself. Why they’re abandoned there I have no idea!
The wagons were used to transport P-Way Diggers, "Bulldozers" The incident was during an Engineer's Possession, the line was closed to normal traffic, the wagons were stabled on the line, and an Engineering Train movement by a Class 37 collided with the wagons, they were removed and abandoned in the cess, that was at least 25 years ago

DustyBin

Established Member
The wagons were used to transport P-Way Diggers, "Bulldozers" The incident was during an Engineer's Possession, the line was closed to normal traffic, the wagons were stabled on the line, and an Engineering Train movement by a Class 37 collided with the wagons, they were removed and abandoned in the cess, that was at least 25 years ago

Interesting, thanks. I can remember them being there (and overgrown!) in the late 90s so they must have been there for at least 25 years as you say.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I went past Micheldever over the weekend and saw lots of activity. The wagons gone and the track lifted. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on? I assume the wagons were removed by road?

Oxfordblues

This is excellent news. The three WIAs were a poor advertisement for rail-freight, being totally woebegone and covered in unsightly graffiti. I had thought they were unfit for movement by rail, too long for removal by road and at a location unlicensed for scrapping activity. Anyway, the end at last of a sorry saga after many years. Now let's see action on the WIAs cluttering-up Didcot Yard, Newport AD Junc, Hinksey Yard (one) and elsewhere.

Malaxa

I went past Micheldever over the weekend and saw lots of activity. The wagons gone and the track lifted. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on? I assume the wagons were removed by road?
Recent proposals for a wate recycling site there were turned down, but I'd guess the clearance is related to the ?ongoing? matter

Pacef8

The brake van on the shotton siding was set fire to earlier this year . Not much left of it now.

mikeg

Established Member
There's an abandoned coach in a rather sorry state near what used to be Otterington station between Thirsk and Northallerton. I'll try to photograph it sometime.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There's an abandoned coach in a rather sorry state near what used to be Otterington station between Thirsk and Northallerton. I'll try to photograph it sometime.
Is this the one...

(Link to Geograph website showing pic from 2008 of former Otterington railway station site and abandoned railway carriage).

Status
Not open for further replies.