• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abelio scotrail interview help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullen3219

Hi i have an upcoming interview for a gateline position within the company and i have done a bit of studying for the interview. I want to make sure i give the best impression i can so i am just wondering if anyone can share any extra tips or information i could use at interview to increase my chances. Any past experiences or such. I have previously had interviews for similiar role but not since franchise changed hands.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrailguard

Hi Mullen,
My advice is to start with the basics. Turn up early, ironed shirt and tie, get a hair cut etc. Be presentable.

Look at the companies visions and values, this page should help: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail
Have a look down the side tabs. The more you know and the more you can tell them limits the amount of questions they have to ask.

Know the job your going for, It's advantageous if you can shadow a member of staff doing that role, So get on the phone to the person interviewing you and ask to shadow for an hour or so giving your more opportunities to ask staff questions. This also shows them you're not mucking about.

If they ask you a question and you don't know the answer, Don't bull sh*t. They'll know you have no idea. They might ask you a few competency based questions like "Give me a time when..."

Mention that you want to progress through the company with your career. This shows them you're serious and you're not going to quit at the first chance.

At the end of the interview thank them for their time and if they say "Have you got any questions" Make sure you ask about career progression(even if you already know the answer, it reiterates to them you're serious), Ask when it is likely you will be contacted regarding your progress to the next stage.

Little extra info would be railcards on offer, basic ticket info (Cheap Day, Standard Day, Open Returns etc), What promotions ScotRail are running, Delay-Repay, Club 50.

Hope this helps.

Coming from a person who has had an interview for Customer Service and a Conductor Interview. Currently a Conductor for ScotRail.

Clansman

Established Member
Hi Mullen,
My advice is to start with the basics. Turn up early, ironed shirt and tie, get a hair cut etc. Be presentable.

Look at the companies visions and values, this page should help: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail
Have a look down the side tabs. The more you know and the more you can tell them limits the amount of questions they have to ask.

Know the job your going for, It's advantageous if you can shadow a member of staff doing that role, So get on the phone to the person interviewing you and ask to shadow for an hour or so giving your more opportunities to ask staff questions. This also shows them you're not mucking about.

If they ask you a question and you don't know the answer, Don't bull sh*t. They'll know you have no idea. They might ask you a few competency based questions like "Give me a time when..."

Mention that you want to progress through the company with your career. This shows them you're serious and you're not going to quit at the first chance.

At the end of the interview thank them for their time and if they say "Have you got any questions" Make sure you ask about career progression(even if you already know the answer, it reiterates to them you're serious), Ask when it is likely you will be contacted regarding your progress to the next stage.

Little extra info would be railcards on offer, basic ticket info (Cheap Day, Standard Day, Open Returns etc), What promotions ScotRail are running, Delay-Repay, Club 50.

Hope this helps.

Coming from a person who has had an interview for Customer Service and a Conductor Interview. Currently a Conductor for ScotRail.

This. Also, watch out for trick questions such as: "How much do you expect to earn per annum"? This has came up a good couple of times before, and is there to test the applicant's mentality (ie "Only in it for the money" type thing). Best answer to this question would be: "I would like to think I'd earn what the post was listed with". Beware that if you only mention money, you are killing yourself stone dead. Best to expand and use the example above as an opening statement to say what you'd like to get out of your service such as valuable experience, a foundation to progress, social skills etc

I wish you the best of luck :)

Last edited:

Mullen3219

Thanks for advice i am going to spend next few hours trying to soak everything up and learn what i can.

scotrailguard

Don't get too bogged down with it. They're not expecting you to know everything but are hoping you've done some research into the job and the company!

You'll do great. Hope to see you around the stations soon when I pass soon!

Mullen3219

Delighted to say subject to medical and reference checks i got the job so needless to say i am thrilled cheers for help and advice.

Quick question since being taken over by abelio what services do scotrail staff still get free travel on?

scotrailguard

Delighted to say subject to medical and reference checks i got the job so needless to say i am thrilled cheers for help and advice.

Quick question since being taken over by abelio what services do scotrail staff still get free travel on?

Glad to hear it Mullen! What station will you be working out of?

Free travel on all ScotRail services. Free travel on Serco Caledonian Sleeper, Mersey Rail and any Abellio Rail Companies. Plus the ATOC 75% discount railcard for all rail services in the UK excluding London Underground.

JohnChuchu

What appeals to you in a train driver role?
What do you about Abelio ScotRail?
Challenges which a train driver faces
Tell us a time produced work to high standard
A time you worked as part of a team to achieve something
A time you provided excellent customer service
A time your manager told you to change the way you work
Work shift work. Odd hours, weekends and bank holiday
Lone working
Persevere to achieve or learn something
Delivered bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.