• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
Fleet roll out seems to have stalled a bit. Only 5? 755/4 passed for traffic. 755/3 not authorised yet (which is starting to look a bit odd) and sounds like the 755s continue to be 4 to 8 weeks away.
Obviously not going to plan for some reason, probably several reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adrian1980uk

Fleet roll out seems to have stalled a bit. Only 5? 755/4 passed for traffic. 755/3 not authorised yet (which is starting to look a bit odd) and sounds like the 755s continue to be 4 to 8 weeks away.

Looks like trying too much too quickly.. focus 755/4 to the point 10 - 15 in traffic then move on..

Established Member

One reason could be that some simply don’t have the detailed knowledge of precisely what is required to introduce a completely new fleet that is radically different to anything that has gone before, and therefore have unrealistic expectations. Not surprising unless you have actually been there, seen it and done it.

The volume of training necessary is huge for maintenance staff and traincrew, and indeed management too. And that’s before you get to all the regulatory paperwork required.

Patience is a virtue.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
One reason could be that some simply don’t have the detailed knowledge of precisely what is required to introduce a completely new fleet that is radically different to anything that has gone before, and therefore have unrealistic expectations. Not surprising unless you have actually been there, seen it and done it.

Indeed, but at the end of the day that statement could be directed at the bid managers as well as posters here.

trebor79

Established Member
T'was just an observation. I don't doubt there's tonnes of paperwork and lots of training to do. Just seems odd to have got as far as a few units in service for it to stutter at that point. I'd expect the first units into revenue service to represent the peak of the mountain.

Bikeman78

Established Member
No first class advance fares are available for these services next week.

It gives them the flexibility to use the 755s even if it ends up being a hauled set.
If a hauled set in used then presumably people will be able to sit in the first class with a standard ticket? Unless it's locked out of use.

AlexNL

Established Member
Just seems odd to have got as far as a few units in service for it to stutter at that point. I'd expect the first units into revenue service to represent the peak of the mountain.
I'm gonna guess the introduction of the bimodes was a franchise commitment which they had to meet, although operationally they're still preparing for a wider rollout.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'm gonna guess the introduction of the bimodes was a franchise commitment which they had to meet, although operationally they're still preparing for a wider rollout.
They didn't meet the franchise obligations anyway, even the 755/4s were a few months late, though not as late as the rest of the new fleets.

ashkeba

Established Member
I thought some of them had failed in service?
A few but all of them have come back into service at some point, haven't they? It might only have been the camera system now reported as disabled on https://www.railforums.co.uk/posts/4200109 with the guards closing doors, which is what happened when I last travelled on one. I don't think any other failure reasons have been disclosed yet, have they?

Grumbler

A few but all of them have come back into service at some point, haven't they? It might only have been the camera system now reported as disabled on https://www.railforums.co.uk/posts/4200109 with the guards closing doors, which is what happened when I last travelled on one. I don't think any other failure reasons have been disclosed yet, have they?
I don't know, I've seen several posts stating that new units could not be used but without reasons.

James James

I don't know, I've seen several posts stating that new units could not be used but without reasons.
Stadler themselves have stated they are potentially due for penalties due to delivery delays caused issues with a subcontractor-supplied component on these units. That along with the reports of camera issues strongly suggests that the camera's are indeed the issue causing delays in acceptance/"delivery".

No one in the know has actually confirmed that that's the case though.

Wivenswold

Established Member
All part and parcel of introducing a brand new design of rolling stock. So far none have showered water on passengers, had to be withdrawn because drivers can't see out, burst into flames, caused drunk journalists to be sick, had software blackouts due to uneven OHL power, had to go back because the frames were cracking or can't couple to each other. So their introduction has been relatively uneventful.

The British-built Class 720s however.......

hooverboy

On Moderation
Indeed, that's what operational types told the bid managers, but did they listen......
look, it's always the way with sales guys! certainly not indigenous to the rail industry!

they get all the commission while we get the long shifts trying to make it all work!

samuelmorris

Established Member
All part and parcel of introducing a brand new design of rolling stock. So far none have showered water on passengers, had to be withdrawn because drivers can't see out, burst into flames, caused drunk journalists to be sick, had software blackouts due to uneven OHL power, had to go back because the frames were cracking or can't couple to each other. So their introduction has been relatively uneventful.

Not all of those calamities have befallen the 720s though, let's be fair!

Indeed, that's what operational types told the bid managers, but did they listen......
Yes, but you do have to order some new stock at some point. Would you have rather the 317s and 321s be kept forever?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Yes, but you do have to order some new stock at some point. Would you have rather the 317s and 321s be kept forever?

Of course not, but I'd rather that the bid managers actually listened to what the operations team had to say and seeked out the advice of people who actually have managed big rolling stock projects rather than putting their fingers in their ears and just going ahead with what looked good on paper.

It would help if they had senior engineering management at the start of the franchise that had previously worked in the rail industry too, rather than people who were new to the railway industry.

Grumbler

Of course not, but I'd rather that the bid managers actually listened to what the operations team had to say and seeked out the advice of people who actually have managed big rolling stock projects rather than putting their fingers in their ears and just going ahead with what looked good on paper.

It would help if they had senior engineering management at the start of the franchise that had previously worked in the rail industry too, rather than people who were new to the railway industry.
What would you have done for the same budget?

Carlisle

Established Member
in a revolutionary turn, they actually have fuel guages!
Hasn’t diesel traction always had fuel gauges or sight glasses, just that previously they’ve been on the fuel tanks themselves ?,although lack of maintenance meant in practice a sizeable number probably didn’t work correctly anyway.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
How many 755s out today? If the short set is being taken OOU this weekend, that assumes they are confident of having more 755s available next week - more than 3? Or are we going to see more unit shortages and cancellations next week?

Af317

755418 is on 10:10 Cambridge - Norwich, which I'm on. 755417 is working the 11:10. Passed another 755 near Thetford working the 10:40 from Norwich to Cambridge.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
How many 755s out today? If the short set is being taken OOU this weekend, that assumes they are confident of having more 755s available next week - more than 3? Or are we going to see more unit shortages and cancellations next week?
Think there where 4 although one was in trouble earlier & a couple of Yarmouths caped as no Stadler trained driver or alternative unit available. Ironically there are now x2 170s spare in the Jubillee.

RealTrains07

Established Member

Which new trains were they? Thought the water problem was on 156s?

wouldnt be surprised if the 755 or 720 end up with cracked frames due their cheap quality :lol:

just think. Couple of years time 755s will be fine. All in service with issues ironed out

trebor79

Established Member
I think it was the 800s leaked water from the air conditioning on the press launch day or something.
I highly doubt there will be any cracked frames with the 755s. They are a proven design and having had the pleasure of a few journeys on them appear to be exceptionally well designed and put together.