• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
Aren't the steps a standard part of the FLIRT design? Surely any flimsiness will have been addressed years ago?
They seem pretty robust to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James James

I had a chance to get a more close up look at the 755 in Norwich platform 1 today, and I was a bit surprised at the rickety look of the extending door step. What looks like a thin piece of aluminium under the step which if it ever gets hit, I reckon could render the whole step inoperable (and maybe the train?).
I'm pretty sure those things are designed to detect platform edges, and they also fold up/in when the steps retract. These steps have had plenty of testing in environments where platforms are either level, higher, and lower than the step.

TheEdge

Established Member
Dropping something dense on it while boarding.

Well we better watch our for those passengers wandering around with duffle bags full of lead. Maybe some physics professors going to Cambridge with a pocket full of neutron star material.

dk1

Veteran Member
Cameras are not being used at present due to ongoing unreliability thus the conventional dispatch controlled by the guard. It's causing quite a bit of annoyance from passengers at the likes of Brundall Gardens who have had their service basically reduced by half. Peak times the 16:38, 17:36 & 18:04 no longer call leaving only the 17:06 & 18:40 from Norwich for commuters.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Cameras are not being used at present due to ongoing unreliability thus the conventional dispatch controlled by the guard. It's causing quite a bit of annoyance from passengers at the likes of Brundall Gardens who have had their service basically reduced by half. Peak times the 16:38, 17:36 & 18:04 no longer call leaving only the 17:06 & 18:40 from Norwich for commuters.
As a temporary measure could the guard not pull an egress and then reset it, effectively local door operation but using emergency equipment?

dk1

Veteran Member
As a temporary measure could the guard not pull an egress and then reset it, effectively local door operation but using emergency equipment?
That was rejected as over use of emergency door equipment. Driver not allowed to use cameras & still wouldn't allow ASDO.

_toommm_

Established Member
That was rejected as over use of emergency door equipment. Driver not allowed to use cameras & still wouldn't allow ASDO.

Apologies for the stupidity, but I'm presuming due to the intended DOO operation of these trains, do they not have door control panels with which the guard can release their local door?

samuelmorris

Established Member
This does seem to have been going on a while, are they actually making any progress on resolving this?

Railperf

Established Member
The 755 for the 1638 Norwich to Cambridge has not appeared from Crown Point!

dk1

Veteran Member
Apologies for the stupidity, but I'm presuming due to the intended DOO operation of these trains, do they not have door control panels with which the guard can release their local door?
They will be DCO operated at all times on regional routes. Currently however guards close doors (they do not have the facility to open them) but drivers will do this when permission is given to start using the cameras again. One problem identified is that should a disabled passenger be getting off needing guard assistance, the driver will be unaware. To overcome this a plan to use the passcom was hatched but it didn't go down too well.

dk1

Veteran Member
This does seem to have been going on a while, are they actually making any progress on resolving this?
It's all down to the software. Rumours of two to four more weeks but as more 755s take over the problem will be increase at local stations. Hopefully when the 3-car units enter service it will diminish even if the software problem hasn't.

Railperf

Established Member
That appeared..but it's not a 755. Try a 170!!
Oh really? After the grand launch this week...i (wrongly) assumed it would be all 755's now on the Cambridge run. What is booked for the 1838 NRW to CAM?

I see there were a number of rural cancellations Saturday, loads Sunday and 2 Yarmouths / 1 Lowestoft (one diagram) this AM. Not very impressive. Why not keep a short set if they cannot resource the service without it?

trebor79

Established Member
I see there were a number of rural cancellations Saturday, loads Sunday and 2 Yarmouths / 1 Lowestoft (one diagram) this AM. Not very impressive. Why not keep a short set if they cannot resource the service without it?
Maybe DRS were unable to extend the lease on the locos and coaches? Someone mentioned the locos in particular were required elsewhere.
I guess DRS made provision for the initial expected lease end date and were only able to extend so far.
Mind, there as couple of mainline certified Deltics aren't there? :smile:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
May I please enquire as to how many 755 units are diagrammed to be used on a weekday now please?

LAX54

Established Member
Maybe DRS were unable to extend the lease on the locos and coaches? Someone mentioned the locos in particular were required elsewhere.
I guess DRS made provision for the initial expected lease end date and were only able to extend so far.
Mind, there as couple of mainline certified Deltics aren't there? :smile:

Who recalls when ANGLIA RAILWAYS could lay their hands on a Deltic, Class 50 and the Hastings DEMU :) pretty sure it was about the only time Norwich commuters were hoping their train would break down so that they could have the Deltic or '50' TBird on the train !

Carlgoss

Nice to see two platforms at Norwich with 755, and another making jittery movements backwards and forwards in one of the sidings. Disturbing though to see at least one Stadler Hi-Vis jacket buzzing around every 755 in service it seems. It really feels this fleet change isn't 'happening' at quite the rate anticipated. I wonder if GA might pack the bunting away soon. Looking forward to the NiN services being the first 745s in service. Mind you I hope I make it on one before I retire. Just had a flashback to the early 80's and having to stand in a packed 105 DMU with plywood in the window openings sprayed on the outside with the word 'COND'!! It's always been tough in East Anglia.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
Who recalls when ANGLIA RAILWAYS could lay their hands on a Deltic, Class 50 and the Hastings DEMU :) pretty sure it was about the only time Norwich commuters were hoping their train would break down so that they could have the Deltic or '50' TBird on the train !
Wow! I knew they'd used the Hastings DEMU, but not that they'd had a 50 or a Deltic! That would have been epic. If only!
Closest I've come to a Deltic is seeing one one a railtour speed past the steam railtour I was on and gawping at one at Newcastle Central after it had an exhaust fire.
I also had a sit in the cab of 55002 when it was displayed at the railway I volunteered at for a number of years. Alas I wasn't present the day one of the staff was alleged to have fired it up and taken it for a trundle down the line and back...

Carlgoss

Wow! I knew they'd used the Hastings DEMU, but not that they'd had a 50 or a Deltic! That would have been epic. If only!
Closest I've come to a Deltic is seeing one one a railtour speed past the steam railtour I was on and gawping at one at Newcastle Central after it had an exhaust fire.
I also had a sit in the cab of 55002 when it was displayed at the railway I volunteered at for a number of years. Alas I wasn't present the day one of the staff was alleged to have fired it up and taken it for a trundle down the line and back...

Oh wow memories of as a lad of a shaking Huntingdon station footbridge at 100MPH.

Fincra5

Established Member
They will be DCO operated at all times on regional routes. Currently however guards close doors (they do not have the facility to open them) but drivers will do this when permission is given to start using the cameras again. One problem identified is that should a disabled passenger be getting off needing guard assistance, the driver will be unaware. To overcome this a plan to use the passcom was hatched but it didn't go down too well.

Surely a system used like the OBS on Southern, where the OBS will leave a "Key-on" to stop the local door closing until the passenger is assisted on/ off the train. Or they Guard or OBS, whatever they'll be called, could inform the driver over the Cab-to-Cab of a passenger needing assistance.

Surely a system used like the OBS on Southern, where the OBS will leave a "Key-on" to stop the local door closing until the passenger is assisted on/ off the train. Or they Guard or OBS, whatever they'll be called, could inform the driver over the Cab-to-Cab of a passenger needing assistance.

Guards key in does not override a door close instruction from the driver on a Stadler.

well that’s a pretty poor design specification then. Surely wouldn’t cost a huge amount to alter the software to prevent this?

Quite simply they were designed for full DOO. The original offer from GA to the RMT was to roster a guard only on the weekly roster, they were to run anywhere and everywhere DOO if needed. Obviously and rightly the dispute came up with a much improved situation.