• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Aureol Colin

IMG_20191204_222707.jpg

well ok then

So has anything emerged as to why this occurred and how it can be prevented in the future

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Hearing that there are no 755's on the Norwich to Ely/Cambridge services Friday morning, so I assume they will all be 156's ?

apinnard

Looks like there are no 755s at all this morning. Currently 96 cancellations and counting. Mostly attributed to signalling, however I think that's a smoke screen.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Apparently signalling problems in many different locations but only effects areas where 755s run and electric and non diesel stock is fine.

The spin is laughable. Action must be taken. Passengers must become the priority. Not self preservation.

Paulie558

I think you may be right!
Major signalling problems affecting all rural routes,yet the east Midlands train is unaffected!

smsm1

What's running on the Ipswich-Cambridge line? Are there signalling issues there, as that seems to be ok, with no short forms mentioned on journey check.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Ipswich to Peterborough running services with 156s same with sudbury line.

Also very telling they won't give any details on this major fault like where it is.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Well EMR are still running Norwich-Ely
Different rolling stock. Reminds me of the 158 introduction in 1990/91 when the first leafall season was an interesting one for track circuits as much as adhesion.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Different rolling stock. Reminds me of the 158 introduction in 1990/91 when the first leafall season was an interesting one for track circuits as much as adhesion.

Are you implying that the 755s are causing WSFs?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Just heard from a good source there are issues with wheelslip protection systems and braking along with track circuit issues effecting the 755s on a number of lines.

This is clearly a train issue with the new fleet. I'm sick of constant face saving from Greater Anglia being put ahead of everything else. They are now starting to reach National Express levels of self rather than customer focus.

A winter of serious discontent is ahead as this has the potential to create major issues with 156s to depart shortly.

Last edited:

Tug

I am not sure about "the potential to create major issues". How much more major can this get. There are effectively virtually no trains running North of Ipswich except Norwich - London.

It really is time that GA was held to account for this mess.

Perhaps we are lucky that no 745's are in service as presumably they will have the same problems.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I am not sure about "the potential to create major issues". How much more major can this get. There are effectively virtually no trains running North of Ipswich except Norwich - London.

There are still 9x 156s now - two are leaving this weekend and they'll all be gone by end of the month with the last 170 departing in January.

Tug

There are still 156s now - two are leaving this weekend and they'll all be gone by end of the month.

I know but even with those they have it can hardly be called a service. The basic truth is that the local services are not usable today.

What is special about today? OK it is wet but surely that has happened in testing? These trains also run in the Netherlands where I am assured they have trees and leaves.

We are going to need divine intervention when it snows.

As I understand it 2 x 156 leave this weekend and a further 3 x 156 the following weekend with the remaining 4 x 156 over Xmas.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Indeed. But local services out of Ipswich have been dreadful for weeks. Short formed. Unreliable. Dirty if they do run.

The worst thing is the constant spin and deflection from Greater Anglia. They're more concerned about their image than any passenger

LAX54

Established Member
Just been told Felixstowe is out for the rest of the day. If it was really signalling they'd not be saying
It so quick
Yes, they were cancelled at about 0400 or so, I suppose indirectly you could say it was signalling problems, albeit ones that do not affect, 156's , I won't count 158's tho ! Maybe the Short set, will be making a come back at this rate !

saxsux

Hot off the press from the RAIB, a possible explanation for the disruption:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/near-miss-at-norwich-road-level-crossing

Appears to suggest that rail head contamination, and some aspect of the 755's design, can affect the safe operation of level crossing predictors.

Our investigation will identify the sequence of events which led to the incident. It will also consider:
  • the design, implementation and operation of the predictor system, including any effects of rail head contamination due to fallen leaves
  • the design of relevant elements of the class 755 train and the process for accepting it for use on this route
  • any underlying factors.

Tug

Appears to suggest that rail head contamination, and some aspect of the 755's design, can affect the safe operation of level crossing predictors.

This may well be a symptom of the problem but all the crossings on the Norwich- Great Yarmouth line (& I think Norwich - Lowestoft) are manned so automatic crossing concerns do not apply yet we have cancellations.

An investigation like this could take months to resolve (???????????????).

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Well that's really great isn't it if we're having issues with 755s and level crossings, the future looks very bleak for the local lines now with an investigation like that which certainly won't be quick.

Want to make the most of the next few weeks whilst the 156s are still here, after that it's going to get much worse. The rolling stock transition strategy by Greater Anglia looked suspect from day one and is now coming ack to haunt them big time.

There was always a danger of signifcant issues on Stadler's first UK rolling stock, the bid team really have go it spectacuarly wrong and it's difficult to know where they can turn to resolve it as all of their stock is departing week by week as a consequence of them heavily underestimating the size of the task. I wonder what the operations team who apparently had little input think?

Greater Anglia's bid was always high stakes with a lot of risk involved and now it seems the wheels are well and truly sliding off the tracks. There's a reason nobody has tried such a massive transformation at once. To do it properly is expensive to have enough contingency to cover all of the risk you're taking on and to do it without proper contigency leaves you where GA are today.

Meerkat

Established Member
Remember how buying Swiss trains was an ace idea and would be bound to work?
Merseyrail must be a little concerned

F Great Eastern

Established Member

Some of us old hands never believed such a thing and were skeptical from day one.

There needed to be a far greater transitional period between old and new stock taking into account this was a new train type for the UK by a new manufacturer. They probably didn't do that as the cost would be too much, which should then lead them to thinking that maybe they shouldn't try and do too much at once. Instead it seems they decided to go ahead with it anyway and hope that there would only be minor problems.

We're almost half way through their new trains program, and they've entered less than 100 carriages into service. There's only another 950 or so to go and the ones that are in service are nowhere near settled.

gingerheid

Established Member

It's strange. Estonia woke up one morning and started running Flirts instead of all their other trains. It went pretty much ok and continues to do so.

Next week I go back to driving.

Tug

755s stopped due to not activating track circuits.

Are we saying that all 755's have been stopped until a resolution to the track circuit problem is found and tested which could take???????????????

I hope not!

I wonder if Estonia had purchased all its rail equipment from somewhere where the Flirts were already tested and running.