• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

East74

It seems almost certain that by the new year some lines (Felixstowe and Sudbury) will have no service at all while the FLIRTS that have so far been brought into service will be struggling to run a skeleton service on other lines, supplemented by rail replacement buses. The new trains are not going to come into service fast enough to replace the 156s that are leaving this month, and those that do are still suffering technical issues which are not, I fear, going to be resolved quickly.

I was planning a trip from Thetford to Cambridge today for some Christmas shopping but the lack of trains (the 755s were part of the reason for the trip) and the horrible weather have convinced me to stay in my nice warm home catching up on stuff. I hope for better on both counts on Monday! At least my family trip from Sudbury to Chelmsford on Sunday shouldn't be disrupted by troublesome 755s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
I know but even with those they have it can hardly be called a service. The basic truth is that the local services are not usable today.

What is special about today? OK it is wet but surely that has happened in testing? These trains also run in the Netherlands where I am assured they have trees and leaves.

We are going to need divine intervention when it snows.

As I understand it 2 x 156 leave this weekend and a further 3 x 156 the following weekend with the remaining 4 x 156 over Xmas.
So to confirm all 153s have left?

Tug

That single 170 is suddenly looking so desirable!

Gus. Just a reminder that we had 2 short sets at one stage.

387star

On Moderation
Yes.

The 156s start going this weekend with all gone by end of the month with some going every week.

There's a single 170 left which stays until end of January.
156s to EMR? Surely this can be delayed or is this because EMR are getting rid of 153s as well?

Tug

Is it only 156's and the 170 that are running the branch line services today?

hwl

Established Member
Just heard from a good source there are issues with wheelslip protection systems and braking along with track circuit issues effecting the 755s on a number of lines.

This is clearly a train issue with the new fleet. I'm sick of constant face saving from Greater Anglia being put ahead of everything else. They are now starting to reach National Express levels of self rather than customer focus.

A winter of serious discontent is ahead as this has the potential to create major issues with 156s to depart shortly.
Sounds like Stadler need to ring up Unipart and ask for a very large box of track circuit actuators for Christmas!

hwl

Established Member
Seems strange that the track circuit problem has appeared now, with leaf fall almost over.
Some species are much much worse than others e.g. London Plane.

Traffic levels may also have dropped with 153, 156 and 170s departing so the rails are getting less normal operational cleaning.

Tug

I do hope that GA are held to account for this. I know that someone suggested that if they were then it might stop bidders for future contracts but if they are not then anything can be promised, very little/nothing delivered and with no contingency provision.

This is no way to run a rail system.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I do hope that GA are held to account for this. I know that someone suggested that if they were then it might stop bidders for future contracts but if they are not then anything can be promised, very little/nothing delivered and with no contingency provision.

This is no way to run a rail system.

Now the official reason for the lack of service is because the signalling problems are blocking the lines.

I guess that other operators trains are able to jump over the blockage?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
RMT: Drivers don't feel safe operating new trains:
https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/the-trains-are-safe-greater-anglia-boss-reassures-1-6412422

Union claims its drivers didn't feel safe operating new trains being introduced by Greater Anglia have added to mounting pressure on the train operator where services have been severely disrupted in recent weeks as new rolling stock is introduced.

Steve Smart, a regional spokesman for the RMT union, appeared on BBC Radio Suffolk to discuss the situation this morning.

He said: "Drivers they don't feel safe driving the new fleet. There's been reports of this week complaining about the braking, engines shutting down, problems with the cameras, the train information system is failing, they are constantly late coming out of the depot.

"There are issues being experienced with the preparation and the chaos caused to the service."

However, head or corporate affairs for Greater Anglia, Jonathon Denby, refuted the claim and reassured passengers about the new trains and said: "The trains are safe, they cannot go out into traffic unless they are safe.

"They are tested many times over a course of many weeks. There are stringent safety tests and they continue to be tested whilst in use."

I'd be curious if the RMT are considering any action.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The walls seem to be caving in on GA management. All 153s withdrawn and the 156s about to leave, mass cancellations have started and will continue until the rurals are all bustituted bar the sole 170 left, and 755s are running into more than just ASDO, now we’re heading of pantograph issues, braking under leaf fall and other problems.
Senior management has been the most incompetent and unable to run a railway properly if that wasn’t obvious already. They seemingly haven’t heard of a transitionary period, which is what almost every ToC does when gradually phasing out an old fleet for a new fleet, they refused to renew leases when they had the chance to do so.

RailWonderer

Established Member
There was no DfT directive they had to contend with like other ToCs had to, GA could do what they wanted with the legacy stock, the ROSCOS signed them to other ToCs when GA didnt bother with signing a new short lease for them.

An experienced operations team with some sense would have known you don’t introduce new stock over such a short period given the large majority of GAs fleet predates 1990 - the cascade would have been planned as a long one. When SWT phased out their slam door stock (over 100 1st/2nd gen EMUs) it lasted a good three years, they started in 2002 and only by about 2005-06 the majority of services were operated by new stock, the last slammer not leaving until 07.
I know there were 26 DMUs in comparison but when GA gets to replacing the 317s, 321s, about 144 EMUs, pandemonium will begin.

Meerkat

Established Member
There was no DfT directive they had to contend with like other ToCs had to, GA could do what they wanted with the legacy stock, the ROSCOS signed them to other ToCs when GA didnt bother with signing a new short lease for them.

Big assumption that the ROSCO would offer a short lease extension when they had longer term leases lined up elsewhere.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Big assumption that the ROSCO would offer a short lease extension when they had longer term leases lined up elsewhere.

Nobody said that the ROSCO would pick a short least over a long term lease. But that's not even relevant because from what I have heard from good sources, it was never a question of that.

But with the 153s and 170s there was no talk of any of it having other, longer offers on the table until a considerable time after Abelio had already agreed their fleet strategy for the franchise. Other operators jumped at the chance of leasing the stock because Greater Anglia made it clear they didn't want it after this time.

The argument is also null and void about the 156s because of the fact that they're going to another Abellio company who only won such franchise 6 months ago so that was totally under Abellio's control.

LAX54

Established Member
Understood and I believe totally that it is a track signalling problem and nothing to do with GA or its new trains. :rolleyes:
Wrong, which is proved by 156's / 170 running as normal.

daveshah

Approaching this as an electronic engineer from a totally different non-railway field; I'm well aware there will be a certain amount of black magic as to whether track circuit activation will be reliable enough in all conditions. But ultimately I would expect there to be some standards that rolling stock must follow, and NR would have at least equal responsibility if it does emerge the 755s do meet those standards. There could well be some tricky three-way discussions between Abelio, Stadler and NR right now.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I hope not. EMR need them and have a contract in place to have them. Although the can send the 153s the other way.
Internal talk is that Abellio are favouring EMR over GA and the 156s will head to EMR come what may, as the reputation for EMR isn't tarnished unlike that for GA.

trebor79

Established Member
Crikey. What a mess.
Real shame this latest issue, just when it seemed to be turning a corner. I know GA planned poorly, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the trains are desperately needed and are a step change in quality.

Do we think this is an inspect and return to service job or a more prolonged hiatus?

I thought the EDP article was a bit hyperbolus. How is an engine shutting down a safety issue? Same with the cameras, in fact one driver on here said he prefers it when the guard shuts the doors.