• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
The non-prm loo is way too small. You can barely move in there. There is hardly room to shut the door behind you.
Yes if I was a much bigger bloke I'd have problems getting in and out. Given the proportion of that coach taken up with toilets as it is, I can understand the necessity to keep it as small as possible. Chunkier folk can use the mega bog I suppose.

Energy

Established Member
I'm impressed with the acceleration, wonder what the 720s will be like on acceleration.

Railperf

Established Member
I'm impressed with the acceleration, wonder what the 720s will be like on acceleration.
The 345s do 0 to 80mph in around 60 seconds..so i am hoping the 720s accelerate at a similar rate.
The Anglia network is hamstrung by the relatively poor acceleration of the older Class 317s and 321s.
Diagrams for 379a and 360s can be filled by the older stock and the timetables have some padding to allow for that.
The interiors of the 360s and 379s now look so dreary compared to the 755s.

Railperf

Established Member
Well we will now see how well the 755/3 goes on diesel!! From a Stowmarket start!
0 to 60mph in 78s
0 to 90mph in 196s
0 to 100mph in 278s

To be fair..that is almost as good as a 2+9 HST!!

Railperf

Established Member
Oh dear. I am on 755 328 just come coasting to a halt between Bury St Edmunds and Ely - engine issues. No restart so far. The lights will apparently last for 30 mins.
Engine coolant faults. Drivers attempting to reset the system.
EDIT..after a phone call from driver to find out what reset buttons to press..the engines have restarted and we are on the move. Phew! But strange and annoying that this same type of fault keeps recurring.
EDIT 2. we got to Ely with just a 10 minute delay. The unit appears to have carried on to Peterboro and returned to Colchester without any further hiccups! As drivers say - these suffer a hissy fit - warning lights and alarms start - and then the engines simply shut down. And there does not seem to be a system where a single engine will shut down leaving the remaining good ones running. It seems if one goes down - they all go down together!

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
I’m not sure if this is 755-related but the 21:47 CBG to IPS is cancelled. Is there a continuing rolling stock shortage?
Could be. Looks like they borrowed a unit off the Cambridge line to provide an evening Felixstowe service which had been bus replacement since this morning.

Railperf

Established Member
Norwich in 80?
Not tomorrow at least. The 0740 has booked calls to Ipswich. And too many trains ahead from Ipswich for a clear run..unless they start looping trains and potentially delaying other services...

gingertom

Established Member
Not ever. The PR people will have something up their sleeves for some sort of record breaking run to mark the introduction of the new stock.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Good few cancellations today

07:44 Cambridge to Ipswich due 09:03
07:49 Peterborough to Ipswich due 09:26
08:09 Norwich to Great Yarmouth due 08:42
08:25 Ipswich to Felixstowe due 08:51
08:47 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 09:19
08:54 Felixstowe to Ipswich due 09:24
10:01 Ipswich to Peterborough due 11:39
10:36 Norwich to Great Yarmouth due 11:09
11:17 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 11:51
11:50 Peterborough to Ipswich due 13:28
12:36 Norwich to Great Yarmouth due 13:09
13:17 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 13:50
13:58 Ipswich to Peterborough due 15:39
15:50 Peterborough to Ipswich due 17:28

Abbo

Good few cancellations today

07:44 Cambridge to Ipswich due 09:03
07:49 Peterborough to Ipswich due 09:26
08:09 Norwich to Great Yarmouth due 08:42
08:25 Ipswich to Felixstowe due 08:51
08:47 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 09:19
08:54 Felixstowe to Ipswich due 09:24
10:01 Ipswich to Peterborough due 11:39
10:36 Norwich to Great Yarmouth due 11:09
11:17 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 11:51
11:50 Peterborough to Ipswich due 13:28
12:36 Norwich to Great Yarmouth due 13:09
13:17 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 13:50
13:58 Ipswich to Peterborough due 15:39
15:50 Peterborough to Ipswich due 17:28
What really concerns me is the number of YARMOUTH services that continue to be cancelled to a destination with a frequent and free foe pensioners bus service. Will these folk ever return to the rail. Sheringham seems have been similarly hit and loadings look down on what was previous.

All cancellations are bad but.....................

dk1

Veteran Member
What really concerns me is the number of YARMOUTH services that continue to be cancelled to a destination with a frequent and free foe pensioners bus service. Will these folk ever return to the rail. Sheringham seems have been similarly hit and loadings look down on what was previous.

All cancellations are bad but.....................
The Yarmouth route is the most logical. Loadings on them vary greatly but cancellations have been ongoing for years now and the current situation is nothing new. Gets horrendous local press too. There where early plans to make it half hourly but not sure if that will happen now.

eastdyke

Established Member
Going to go East Suffolk instead. Was all running fine as I left Norwich. Oh well!!
I have an affinity with the Felixstowe line as I was brought up bang next to it. But I now enjoy the East Suffolk rather more.
Have a good day :)

dk1

Veteran Member
I have an affinity with the Felixstowe line as I was brought up bang next to it. But I now enjoy the East Suffolk rather more.
Have a good day :)
Yeah you too. Just the Felixstowe is more beneficial to ,y trainee as hes done so much across the ES. Felixstowe still no closer to having a Spoon :frown:

dk1

Veteran Member
Felixstowe route all back up and running earlier this afternoon but far too late for us.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Seen quite a few cancellations due to faults with the signalling system again today.

How are we doing for unit numbers for the local services? I overhead people speaking today saying there are a good few more trains in the local fleet approved for service than there were in the legacy fleet and the fault with the signalling system is the only thing holding them back. Do we have any idea when this fault will be fixed?

Abbo

So the 0705 NRW - LST was 25 late start' perhaps THAT was the train that was late off the depot.

Bittern line suffering cancellations again today so yesterday's full service was a one day wonder.

I wonder what the management structure of Greater Anglia is. The MD appears to have a purely commercial background and spokespersons wheeled out to defend the organisation seem to come from the PR school ; is there a Chief Operating officer and if not should there be ?
In the absence of a reply re AGA management structure from members of this august group I have done some digging elsewhere and find that last in the pecking order after Commercial, Finance, Engineering and HR directors there one Jay Thompson as Train Service Delivery Director. This might be nearest to a Chief Operating Officer that they have. I have not heard of him before so he keeps a low profile.

GB

Established Member
Seen quite a few cancellations due to faults with the signalling system again today.

How are we doing for unit numbers for the local services? I overhead people speaking today saying there are a good few more trains in the local fleet approved for service than there were in the legacy fleet and the fault with the signalling system is the only thing holding them back. Do we have any idea when this fault will be fixed?

Do we actually know what this "signalling fault" is?...a fault that doesn't appear to affect any other type of train. GA have been blaming a signalling problem for pretty much everything so I honestly don't know whats what anymore.

gingerheid

Established Member
Has the mysterious signalling fault returned? I thought they were blaming knock on effects from previous signalling faults for a while?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Has the mysterious signalling fault returned? I thought they were blaming knock on effects from previous signalling faults for a while?

Seen these two when I looked at JourneyCheck a short while ago, saw some yesterday too

21:40 Norwich to Great Yarmouth will be cancelled
This is due to a fault with the signalling system.

22:17 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 22:50 will be cancelled.
This is due to a fault with the signalling system.

Earlier in the evening there was a trip in each direction cancelled due to a train fault, not sure if it was the same diagram though, don't know much about the Yarmouths, so can't say if it's the same diagram.
In a word....'No' ! and it is wearing a bit thin with many

Abellio are just unlucky rather than it being their fault from what I've read and heard.

For all those people who are complaining about the signalling faults not being real and train faults, I'm sure they will be watching the MTIN figures when they come out to see if this proves their point about the so called unreliability of the trains.

Out of curiosity, what is defined as an incident? I assume this only includes those incidents that are described and attributed as train faults in their delay attribution reason, or is this completely separate?

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
I'm told that at least one 755/4 is running round with an engine out at the moment. Not sure which one.