Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by swt class 450, 15 Jun 2017.

1. trebor79

trebor79 Established Member

I guess any increase in fuel consumption will be more than offset by the ability to use OHL where it exists.
    Plus are the fuel consumption figures for the sprinters in "as new" condition? Some of them are pretty knackered and barely get to line speed even with pretty much constant full throttle.

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Is it that shocking? I'm sure I recall heritage DMUs doing something like that per engine.

3. Speed43125

Speed43125 Member

Given the huge performance increase and presumably much tighter schedules that will result in, I'm sure it's worth it. And these are new trains, they'll definitely have known just how much fuel they use, not going to be like scotrail who are rumored to have not factored in HSTs having 2 power cars when running the figures....

4. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

Not 100% they are...based on amount of units removed due to being low in fuel ! :)

5. Carlgoss

Carlgoss Member

My word the power of the Felixstowe branch line! GA website from an hour ago..
    'Due to a train fault between Ipswich and Felixstowe the line is blocked.
    Impact
    Train services running across the whole Greater Anglia network may be cancelled, delayed or suspended. Disruption is expected until the end of the day'

6. Maltazer

Maltazer Member

Well there are also signalling problems between Cambridge and Newmarket - the Ipswich-Cambridge service turned up in Ely a short while ago, and got shunted to the sidings before heading back to Ipswich the same way.

7. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

Indeed, not like the have a parent company in common or anything is it...

8. eastdyke

eastdyke Established Member

I think that we always new, or at least very very strongly suspected, that units away from the wires would be needing to refuel intra-day. Despite the fuel situation the only way to get fuel seems to be to scoot back to Crown Point.
    What happened to rumoured facilities at Colchester and any possibility of using the Freightliner point at Ipswich?
    Or is it a matter that Stadler want, for the time being at least, to see exacly what goes in?

9. F Great Eastern

A fault with the signalling system, hey?

Is this the kind of signalling fault that has happened in the last couple of months, or it it the kind that used to happen from time to time before that?

10. Maltazer

Maltazer Member

Sounds like a bog standard one, rather than a fakey GA special.

11. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Established Member

Surprised they didn't blame OHL problems at Bury St.Edmunds

12. hooverboy

hooverboy Member

didn't DfT specify the fuel tank size had to be reduced?

I have no idea what it's been reduced to, but it ought to have been a couple of days between fills at least.
    A sprinter is about 400 gallons isn't it?..that would be about 2 days work on a rural diagram
    seems a bit daft having a unit only capable of half a days service between top-ups.

13. MikePJ

MikePJ Member

I happened to see an ROG 37 at Cambridge at lunchtime today, coupling up to a 755/3. RTT shows the loco arriving from Norwich, and I assume it was due to go back there with the Stadler, but nothing’s shown in RTT. The obvious path was this one, but it appears not to have actually run: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F45867/2020-01-14/detailed

14. F Great Eastern

You'd have thought that operational people with experience on these things, might have pointed that out, since surely they were asked....

15. DannyMich2018

DannyMich2018 Member

Going by my Platform 5 2018 stock book A Greater Anglia Class 156 has 136 seats, Class 153 72 seats, also 3 car 170, 173 seats, 2 car 170 only 110 (with 7 and 9 first class seats respectively )
    A 755/3 has 167 seats so only 6 less than three 3 car 170s. So a big uplift in capacity. If you go from a single 153 to 755/3 that's an amazing 132% increase in capacity.

16. Rick1984

Rick1984 Member

What's the % increase of a 755/4 and a153?

17. dk1

dk1 Established Member

755327 today, standing start at a red north of Diss, 98mph crossing over Audley End AHB. More fun than Blackpool Pleasure Beach :p

18. DannyMich2018

DannyMich2018 Member

219% which is fantastic increase. That's a non PRM 72 seat ex Geater Anglia 153. Hopefully I'm right but the Platform 5 book says that.

19. PG

PG Member

DfT's questions are rhetorical...
    No response required ;)

20. Tim Regester

Tim Regester Member

The Class 755s are EURO 5 or better emissions compliant whereas none of the older dmus were. The payoff of reducing NOX and PM emissions from diesel engines is a massive reduction in miles per gallon. So you can have a really dirty diesel engine with high levels of mpg but is dirty as hell and contributes to peoples deaths, or as a compromise you can have lower mpg but much lower levels of emissions. There is no technical way of doing both.

21. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

What sort of distance is that? And is that on diesel or leccy?

22. supervc-10

supervc-10 Member

Well, there have been advances in fuel efficiency with diesel engines. A while back (before he started commuting by train) my dad had an old '98 Golf TDI. Proper old-school dirty diesel, got 45mpg day in day out, but plenty of nasties out the back. He then got a new job and it came with a company BMW 320d. This was a 2012 model, much cleaner Euro 5 standard, in a bigger heavier car, much more power (165 hp vs 90 in the Golf), yet the BMW was averaging over 50 mpg. The two jobs were both on the same site, commuting in the same traffic, driven by the same person.

I doubt that the specific fuel consumption of those new engines is worse than the specific fuel consumption of the lump under a Sprinter. What's more likely is that the Stadlers are suffering due to the comparative weights. I can't imagine that the 755s come in weighing less than an equivalent Sprinter given the increased demands for crash safety, the improved passenger environment, and the electrical gubbins for being a BMU. Comparing it to a car again- think how much heavier a hybrid is than a conventionally powered car.

Edit: originally wrote 745s, but it's the 755s that are the bi-modes!

Last edited: 15 Jan 2020
  23. hexagon789

On another forum it was stated that Ipswich Plat. 1 and Colchester Plat. 6 would be used for re-fuelling once risk assessments had been made.

It was reduced so that the weight was lowered to enable the units to utilise SP differential speeds.

24. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Bear in mind the 755s aren't hybrids, there's no traction battery in there, only the AC power equipment (which is admittedly quite weighty).

25. hexagon789

The 755s are the bi-modes. According to the data plate, the 4-car version weighs 163.4 tonnes. A 156 weighs in at 71.6 tonnes.

26. supervc-10

supervc-10 Member

@hexagon789 sorry I'm getting my Stadlers mixed up! Thanks, I'll correct my post. And this proves my point regarding weight- according to those weights and the Stadler datasheet, a 4-car weighs 0.81 tonnes/seat (202 seats). A 156 weighs 0.53 tonnes/seat, going by the seating numbers further up this thread.

@samuelmorris I was getting at having all the electrical gubbins- like transformers etc, which as you say, is quite weighty.

27. LAX54

LAX54 Established Member

Need to he fuelled every night, with some diagrams in the middle of the day.

28. hexagon789

No problem, easily done. I quite agree that they are a bit heavier than what they replace, but the performance is much better than.

29. PG

PG Member

For once it seems like DfT have reached a good compromise with that decision. Makes the scheduling more critical though, cue a future journey check entry - this service has been cancelled due to the train needing fuel...