• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
I boarded a 755 last week and it smelt pretty strongly inside like an old bus does. Diesel I presume? It never drifted away during the entire journey and i wasn't that close to the middle engine bay. I'm used to electric trains to it was quite noticeable - though i don't recall it being so bad on a 170 or even pacers when i've been on one.
755s are all set to run around with internal doors of the power pack open to save unnecessarily use of touching buttons so is probably the reason. The open nature of the saloons may add to this. The guards used to get fed up stopping to open Them on 170s so would isolate them which did let in diesel smells & of course draughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
755s are all set to run around with internal doors of the power pack open to save unnecessarily use of touching buttons so is probably the reason. The open nature of the saloons may add to this. The guards used to get fed up stopping to open Them on 170s so would isolate them which did let in diesel smells & of course draughts.
To be fair, i noted the power pack doors open and assumed they were stuck / inoperable. No diesel smells noted on any of the units, and i have been aboard quite a few - mainly in diesel mode.

In terms of noise/ fumes etc - these must be about the cleanest and quietest diesel trains i have ever seen. Barely a whiff of smoke on startup. The fans on the 3-car units seem noisier than the fours, but assume that is cos they have to run full power for almost double the time to reach 60mph. And even longer to reach 75/90mph. Love the sound of those V8's starting up. They have a distinct slightly offbeat thrum.

170TurboFan

To be fair, i noted the power pack doors open and assumed they were stuck / inoperable. No diesel smells noted on any of the units, and i have been aboard quite a few - mainly in diesel mode.

In terms of noise/ fumes etc - these must be about the cleanest and quietest diesel trains i have ever seen. Barely a whiff of smoke on startup. The fans on the 3-car units seem noisier than the fours, but assume that is cos they have to run full power for almost double the time to reach 60mph. And even longer to reach 75/90mph. Love the sound of those V8's starting up. They have a distinct slightly offbeat thrum.
I like the sound of them both on startup and at full thrash, especially a 3 car. Haven’t ever seen any pollution smoke from the exhausts.

trebor79

Established Member
755s are all set to run around with internal doors of the power pack open to save unnecessarily use of touching buttons so is probably the reason.
I thought it was so we could all enjoy the thrash!

PG

Established Member
I like the sound of them both on startup and at full thrash, especially a 3 car. Haven’t ever seen any pollution smoke from the exhausts.
Did the Sprinters have much noticeable exhaust smoke when they were new? My memory is that they were way less than the first generation DMU's which were 20+ years old by then.

Revisit the situation in 5+ years time and see what the 755's are like then.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Did the Sprinters have much noticeable exhaust smoke when they were new? My memory is that they were way less than the first generation DMU's which were 20+ years old by then.

Revisit the situation in 5+ years time and see what the 755's are like then.
They still were in their old age. Looking at old footage of Mk1 DMUs, I think perhaps we forget how bad they actually were!

dk1

Veteran Member
ASDO has gone live on 745s along the length of the GEML from today. Hopefully 755s will now get permission to operate in passenger service south of Mark's Tey although until multiple operation gets the green light their usefulness here will be very limited.

Railperf

Established Member
ASDO has gone live on 745s along the length of the GEML from today. Hopefully 755s will now get permission to operate in passenger service south of Mark's Tey although until multiple operation gets the green light their usefulness here will be very limited.
Cheers for the update.

Railperf

Established Member
Not sure really. It does seem to be dragging on. Not even allowed with ECS to the depot.
I hear GA have rolled out a new version of DAS. Is that train or tablet based? How are you getting on with it?

RailWonderer

Established Member
I hear GA have rolled out a new version of DAS. Is that train or tablet based? How are you getting on with it?
Driver Assisted Steering?

They could run a single 755/3 on the quietest ones, like the Norwich in 90 (although it isn't running these days). But due to distancing measures they wont want to be short forming if not necessary.

dk1

Veteran Member
Tablet based at the moment but going onto the TMS screen in the next few weeks. Not used it as didn't like it first time round. Only thing that interests me is the clock. We don't yet have one on the desk.

dk1

Veteran Member
Driver Assisted Steering?

They could run a single 755/3 on the quietest ones, like the Norwich in 90 (although it isn't running these days). But due to distancing measures they wont want to be short forming if not necessary.
Passengers are returning in quite significant numbers. That would be a recipe for disaster. I hear a Stansted service was short-formed this morning with several passengers unable to board through distancing issues.

Railperf

Established Member
Passengers are returning in quite significant numbers. That would be a recipe for disaster. I hear a Stansted service was short-formed this morning with several passengers unable to board through distancing issues.
You mean a 3-car instead of a 4-car?

racyrich

Some problems being reported by lineside neighbours.

Families whose homes back on to a seaside railway station have complained that their lives are being constantly disrupted by faulty new trains that sound “like a jumbo jet taking off”.

The bi-mode trains, which were introduced on the Bittern Line between Norwich and Sheringham by rail operator Greater Anglia last year, were hailed as a faster, more reliable and better equipped alternative to their diesel predecessors.

However, residents in New Street, Sheringham, said the trains, which run hourly between 6am and 11.45pm, with a later train at weekends, were making their lives a misery.

Lauren Fincher, who has lived in New Street with her husband WIlliam and their two children since 2017, said she and her family were regularly woken up by the sound of the trains, and that, even in hot weather, she was forced to keep her windows closed to shut out the noise.

“During the day, it‘s not as bad, but, sometimes, you’ll get a train coming in at 6am and leaving its engine running for up to 30 minutes, then another coming along 15 minutes after that one leaves, so it’s more or less continuous noise, and all before 7am,” she said.

Mrs Fincher, who regularly travels by train to commute to work and visit family in London, has written a string of emails to Greater Anglia to complain about the noise – and the environmental impact of leaving trains running for long periods.

But she said, while she had received numerous promises that the matter would be looked into, the company has yet to take action.

She said: “I must have asked 10 times over the past year and they’ve done nothing.”

Thelma Hill, who lives opposite Mrs Fincher, said she had also complained, and was told the excessive noise was due to a fault.

“It’s horrendous, we can’t sit in the garden or hear the television,” she added. “I complained to one of the drivers, but it was so loud he could hardly hear me. We are just sick of it and I don’t think we should have to put up with it.”

A Greater Anglia spokesperson said engineers were working to resolve the issue, which was caused by a problem with the fans of a small number of bi-mode trains, adding that drivers’ managers would be asked to speak to their staff about turning train engines off when standing at stations for long periods.

Energy

Established Member
Hasn't loud cooling fans been an issue for a while and is being fixed in a software update? Why did these people only bring it up now?

trebor79

Established Member
Shutting down the engines might make it worse. They do blow very loudly for a few minutes after shutdown.

dk1

Veteran Member
Shutting down the engines might make it worse. They do blow very loudly for a few minutes after shutdown.
They make such noise when going from diesel to electric. Just shutting them down like here at Sheringham when laying over for 20-25 minutes makes sense & is something I've always done early mornings with all DMUs here. Just need to keep a key in with 755s to stop them completely shutting down.

trebor79

Established Member
They make such noise when going from diesel to electric. Just shutting them down like here at Sheringham when laying over for 20-25 minutes makes sense & is something I've always done early mornings with all DMUs here. Just need to keep a key in with 755s to stop them completely shutting down.
Ah OK. Yes in that case as you say common sense and good manners to shut down in that case.

ashkeba

Established Member
Hasn't loud cooling fans been an issue for a while and is being fixed in a software update? Why did these people only bring it up now?
Because they contacted GA ten times before contacting the newspapers? If they had gone straight to the newspapers then I am sure someone would say they should have gone to GA first.

Energy

Established Member
Because they contacted GA ten times before contacting the newspapers? If they had gone straight to the newspapers then I am sure someone would say they should have gone to GA first.
It was a while between I read the article (I saw it much earlier today) and posted the message so I forgot that :) Still hasn't it been fixed in a software update?

Mikey C

Established Member
Interesting that it's the fan which is the issue, as that was the problem with Volvo B7TL buses in London, their fans made a terrible noise

Last edited:

Roast Veg

Established Member
Fan noise is a particularly complex issue - providing large quantities of non-turbulent air into a tight space is no mean feat.

LowLevel

Established Member
I've spent quite a lot of time standing around near Stadlers during dwell time or doing station duties but I recently had to stand next to a 755/3 at Peterborough and the racket coming from it would be quite accurately described as sounding like a jet engined aircraft, it was ridiculous. I'm not surprised people have been complaining.