• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Railperf

Established Member
What would make life a lot easier for all, would be trap points at the L/E of P4 at Ipswich, so you can run into P4 in the Up direction, and down into P3 at the same time :) was looked at when they had the 'Tunnel Block' but was deemed to costly for the actual benefits, so nothing done, I imagine that maybe a regretted decision these days !
Yes. Plus the Cambridge service usually terminates into Ipswich P4 which is quite often occupied at the London End by an Ipswich to London service - so a much slower movement into the platform than if it were clear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes. Plus the Cambridge service usually terminates into Ipswich P4 which is quite often occupied at the London End by an Ipswich to London service - so a much slower movement into the platform than if it were clear.

But, by being a permissive move, removes the overlap issue in the first place (you don't need an overlap for a calling on move)

And it isn't clear at how efficient and dynamic the signalling system is at both Cambridge and Ipswich to reacting to train movements. There are times you are sitting waiting for a path where there do not appear to be any conflicting movements ahead , and platforms are free - especially if the train is slightly early. Maybe automatic route setting to blame here. Seems the computer won't recognise a train is running early and give it the path.

No ARS at Cambridge as far as I'm aware. Signallers don't usually send the 2Wxx early if there is an overlap conflict on P4, and usually prioritise the departure of the 1Txx towards King's Lynn.

Class 170101

Established Member
No ARS at Cambridge as far as I'm aware. Signallers don't usually send the 2Wxx early if there is an overlap conflict on P4, and usually prioritise the departure of the 1Txx towards King's Lynn.

No ARS at Cambridge but something like ARS at Ipswich I believe.

TheEdge

Established Member
No, nothing but human fingers and an NX panel at Ipswich, MCS system (with SARS) is from Chitts Hill to Bentley AHB's and to Thorpe-leSoken and Mistley.

One driver told me Ipswich is one of the busiest panels in the UK (by movements) that doesn't have any sort of assistance system.

I still won't forgive you during leafall when you forget about us measly East Suffolks coming down the bank though ;)

LAX54

Established Member
One driver told me Ipswich is one of the busiest panels in the UK (by movements) that doesn't have any sort of assistance system.

I still won't forgive you during leafall when you forget about us measly East Suffolks coming down the bank though ;)

From 1999 to March 2020, it was without a doubt one of the, if not the busiest manual worked panel, however it has lost Westerfield to Felixstowe this year, so a little quieter, however it is still darn busy, at 3 in the morning if you check CCF, Ipswich seems to be the busiest in the whole of the UK !
Signaller controls from Ips side of Bentley AHB;s to Stowmarket Stn, and just beyond, and as far as Westerfield side of Boss Hall Junction inc Bacon Factory

Whether the new FL fuel point will make life easier, has yet to be seen !

Dave1987

On Moderation

And there was me thinking the 1Yxx were the measly services that were forgotten about :p

LAX54

Established Member
And there was me thinking the 1Yxx were the measly services that were forgotten about :p

We don't forget anyone....well not a lot ! 1Yxx can get caught with the 2Wxx leaving, normally if it goes late ! :) the Up 1Yxx are of course a mere 2 or 3 mins behind an FL, who is reliant on the 1Pxx to be bang on time, otherwise it's a snowball effect

LAX54

Established Member
what's CCF, please

Control Centre of the Future, why it called that I have no idea, it's not in the future, it's not really at the centre, and 'controls' nothing ! It does however show where all the trains are, what their booked route is, and how late (or early) it is, you can also do replays, to see where a train was delayed by a red signal, or regulating delay :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
From 1999 to March 2020, it was without a doubt one of the, if not the busiest manual worked panel,

Busy, yes, but I don’t think the busiest. Some of the panels in London Bridge, Victoria (Southern) and Three Bridges ASC were busier. Albeit the busiest panel I ever saw on night turn was indeed Ipswich, although that was because the 650v supply had gone and it was TBW Mannigntree to Colchester!

Dave1987

On Moderation
We don't forget anyone....well not a lot ! 1Yxx can get caught with the 2Wxx leaving, normally if it goes late ! :) the Up 1Yxx are of course a mere 2 or 3 mins behind an FL, who is reliant on the 1Pxx to be bang on time, otherwise it's a snowball effect

Before the Stadlers arrived the number of times the FL was delayed by the 1Pxx being late which resulted in the 1Yxx being over 10 late by Colchester. Thankfully those days are behind us and the Stadlers are usually waiting time everywhere.

LAX54

Established Member
Busy, yes, but I don’t think the busiest. Some of the panels in London Bridge, Victoria (Southern) and Three Bridges ASC were busier. Albeit the busiest panel I ever saw on night turn was indeed Ipswich, although that was because the 650v supply had gone and it was TBW Mannigntree to Colchester!
Maybe LB and Vic were busier, and they were a grade higher, but even staff who visited from those boxes in the past, said they would not be able to manage Ipswich, citing that they 'mainly' did up /down passenger, the odd freight and stuff to and from the c.sdgs, they did not have to think about trying to path a loco from one side to another for a loco swap, or trying to thread a late FL in between close running passengers, and they did not control such a big area (for one person)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Maybe LB and Vic were busier, and they were a grade higher, but even staff who visited from those boxes in the past, said they would not be able to manage Ipswich, citing that they 'mainly' did up /down passenger, the odd freight and stuff to and from the c.sdgs, they did not have to think about trying to path a loco from one side to another for a loco swap, or trying to thread a late FL in between close running passengers, and they did not control such a big area (for one person)

Well that is true.

bspahh

Established Member
https://twitter.com/BlackCatMini/status/1314647610481807360 has this picture of a brake disc from a 755
Ej6Q-rYXcAk9yP9

Railperf

Established Member
Anyone know why the 20:38 LST to Colchester Town is routed via P2 at Colchester instead of P1? Seems to impede the 21:00 LST to IPS getting a clear run into Colchester.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
With south of Cambridge being blocked this weekend, GA's Cambridge North-Cambridge shuttle employed a 755/3, at least on the Sunday: Picture attached of unit at Cambridge North.

Attachments

• 20201025_114557.jpg
    20201025_114557.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93

LAX54

Established Member
Anyone know why the 20:38 LST to Colchester Town is routed via P2 at Colchester instead of P1? Seems to impede the 21:00 LST to IPS getting a clear run into Colchester.

5F93 is departing P1 to the c/sdgs at 2136 (off the Harwich) so that takes time to clear, 1F02 is P2 2139 to 2141, and 1P66 arrives at 2146, so all should be OK, of course the 745's tend to get to Colchester some 3 or 4 early, hence the slow down on approach.

agnott

I saw 5P96 running North through Stowmarket yesterday afterrnoon and it was 2x755/4 (didn't catch the numbers sorry). I must have missed the memo because I didn't think multiple running was allowed yet?

ashkeba

Established Member
I saw 5P96 running North through Stowmarket yesterday afterrnoon and it was 2x755/4 (didn't catch the numbers sorry). I must have missed the memo because I didn't think multiple running was allowed yet?
5 headcode is empty? Maybe it is only not allowed in service yet.