• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Alfie1014

Rail Technology Magazine say new images of the 745/755s have been released but only show a couple of new photos with a slightly different front-end design and yellow first class stripe.

Thanks for the tip off Wivenswold they look quite smart, though had to chuckle at the one pic at Ipswich with the Central Trains livered class 156 in the bay!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
5th side window from the front.

Whatever it is (assuming that you are including the driver's side window in that count to make the window in question the one with the weird split running vertically though the middle) - it doesn't appear to be on the IC Flirt, whilst everything else in the render (certainly of the first car) appears near identical. I suspect then that it is something to do with the interior fit-out, possibly some sort of partition door that isn't required in the longer version?

Regional Unit

IC Unit

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry, yes, including the driver's window. Yes, you are talking about the one I mean. Could be a luggage rack or partition, I suppose.

Cheers for the IC link, looks really good (and I like the proper use of the yellow stripe).

The IC unit appears to have the window "thing" on the second coach by the way. I'm inclined to think it's most likely the back of a luggage rack.

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
Second window to the right of the doors?

I suspect it is the reflection of the out of sight overhead wire stantion. It's in the right place to be level with the one that is in sight behind the train.

whoosh

Established Member
Sorry, ignore me. I was looking at the Railway Technology illustration, not the ones on GA site.

Clansman

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why the distance, on the driving coaches, from the last window to the cab door (where the Greater Anglia logo is) is so great? Is it toilets? Extra storage?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why the distance, on the driving coaches, from the last window to the cab door (where the Greater Anglia logo is) is so great? Is it toilets? Extra storage?

Electrical equipment I believe, Stadler don't tend to put it below the floor because the floor is lower than other stock (the design is mostly for very low floor countries like Switzerland).

dp21

Electrical equipment I believe, Stadler don't tend to put it below the floor because the floor is lower than other stock (the design is mostly for very low floor countries like Switzerland).

Exactly correct. It also helps protect the equipment from external damage. They're quite hot on reliability.

On the ICs, the centre two cars have an extended section like this without windows to allow for electrical equipment also as I believe those two bogies are powered.

Whatever the interiors of those sections are like I hope they are better suited for people of anything taller than 5ft unlike the central corridor on the 90s!

Bornin1980s

It might be noted that these trains seem to have gone full circle with regards to equipment layout. You see, placing electrical control gear above the floor behind the cab goes back to tube stock of the 1920s, and LNWR electrics of 1914!
https://goo.gl/images/zQYv9u

The only thing the Staders are missing are the huge air intakes.

Last edited:

dp21

Are we still on for these trains entering service in January 2019?

I doubt it. I believe the 720s are set to enter service first despite starting to arrive after the BMUs as they have already had most of the type testing done with the 345s etc. The FLIRTs will require all that to be done and given the first one is now not set to arrive until around October I don't really think they'll enter service in Jan 19.

Domh245

Established Member
Battery Multiple Units?

Bimodal multiple units, although reference to them as BMUs isn't helpful given the battery conflation. The official documentation (that also refers to AIR12 units for the Stanstead Express Fleet) refers to HYB3s & HYB4s for the 3 and 4 car units respectively.

The franchise agreement also notes that the lease dates start in February 2019 for the Aventras, April 2019 for the HYB4s, May 2019 for the Airport and Intercity units, and July 2019 for the HYB3s - so that should give a good idea of when stock will start to appear in passenger service.

D365

Veteran Member
Hold on, are we going back to Southern EMU classifications here?

Domh245

Established Member
Hold on, are we going back to Southern EMU classifications here?

No, that's just what they were called in the franchise agreement in lieu of any better way to succinctly describe them. Since then, numbers have started to appear - 720s for the Aventras, 745 for the intercity and airport flirts, and 755 for the bimodal flirts - although the last two aren't yet confirmed (Googling them only brings up wiki and Andrew Gwilt - make of that what you will) - which is what I expect will be used going forward.

dp21

Battery Multiple Units?

Internally they are colloquially known as BMUs - Bi-Mode Multiple Units.

No, that's just what they were called in the franchise agreement in lieu of any better way to succinctly describe them. Since then, numbers have started to appear - 720s for the Aventras, 745 for the intercity and airport flirts, and 755 for the bimodal flirts - although the last two aren't yet confirmed (Googling them only brings up wiki and Andrew Gwilt - make of that what you will) - which is what I expect will be used going forward.

I can, shy of sharing confidential information, pretty much confirm that it's 745 and 755 for the FLIRTs. I forget the exact numbering off the top of my head but I know the 4-cars are numbered in sequence after the 3-cars in case the latter are ever extended. So, the last 3-car would be something like 755314 and the first 4-car would be 755415.

Alfie1014

Passed the site of Brantham depot today for the first time in many months not much further sign of an progress on the ground. Mind you the FLIRTs can’t come soon enough, today the Ipswich Pboros (as 2 car 170s) were wedged with many travelling via Pboro to avoid London and the bus/tube replacement and with no Cross Country services (due to the strike) east of Pboro, station overtime was the norm and still people were getting left behind.

Railperf

Established Member
Just spent 90 mins on a Norwegian Flirt. They seem to have a good ride and good build quality.
And they accelerate very quickly too. 100mph from zero in less than 2 minutes...even in snow
Video with GPS overlay here....

AverageTD

Passed the site of Brantham depot today for the first time in many months not much further sign of an progress on the ground. Mind you the FLIRTs can’t come soon enough, today the Ipswich Pboros (as 2 car 170s) were wedged with many travelling via Pboro to avoid London and the bus/tube replacement and with no Cross Country services (due to the strike) east of Pboro, station overtime was the norm and still people were getting left behind.
I bet that Shippea Hill was packed

dp21

Latest news suggests that the FLIRTS will be arriving with yellow front ends. Something to keep all those traditionalists happy.

Apparently due to issues with risk assessments on level crossings and the old discussion about track safety.

Apparently it hasn't been decided for certain yet but don't be surprised if that's what happens.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Meh...really doesn't bother me what colour the snout is, so I'm happy to allow staff safety to decide it. If track workers want it painted yellow, that's good enough for me. It's not like a different coloured can of paint is going to cost more.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Booo. Shame, I thought we'd see the last of that ghastly appendage round these parts.

dk1

Veteran Member
Latest news suggests that the FLIRTS will be arriving with yellow front ends. Something to keep all those traditionalists happy.

Apparently due to issues with risk assessments on level crossings and the old discussion about track safety.

Apparently it hasn't been decided for certain yet but don't be surprised if that's what happens.

I must be a traditionalist as I'm smiling 8-)