• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

hooverboy

On Moderation
Thanks for this info. Can you point me to somewhere where I can see acceleration rates for other rolling stock - ideally for all DMUs and EMUs. Many thanks
I think that information is not entirely public domain.However there is a thread on the forum somewhere(dated about 2014 I think) that has some data.
with approximate mpg fuel consumption as below.

I think for DMU it was roughly:
14x= 0.7 m/ s^2 (10mpg)
15x= 0.87 m/s^2 (6mpg 150/153/4/5/6 , 5mpg 158/159)
16x= 0.7 m/s^2 (5mpg)
17x= 0.5 m/s^2 (7mpg)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Thanks for this info. Can you point me to somewhere where I can see acceleration rates for other rolling stock - ideally for all DMUs and EMUs. Many thanks
Yes the info for the 755s wasn't taken from a global list of all units, it was from Stadler's own factsheet about the 755s. Finding this info for other units may not be so easy.

Roger B

I think that information is not entirely public domain.However there is a thread on the forum somewhere(dated about 2014 I think) that has some data.

14x= 0.7 m/ s^2 (10mpg)
16x= 0.7 m/s^2 (5mpg)
17x= 0.5 m/s^2 (7mpg)
Many thanks hooverboy

ge-gn

Then why don't the train detection systems work properly?

They do. And have done for many years. And in the unlikely event of them not doing so they are subject to rigorous investigation to find the cause of failure.

Mordac

Established Member

14x= 0.7 m/ s^2 (10mpg)
16x= 0.7 m/s^2 (5mpg)
17x= 0.5 m/s^2 (7mpg)

Albeit a class 70 loco did 9.8m/s^2 once

gingerheid

Established Member
Greater Anglia absolutely made my Boxing Day afternoon by wishing me a Merry Christmas... late.

Shortage of emails caused by earlier signalling problems? :D

423 on the 19:47 from Cambridge blocked the up platform at Stowmarket for nearly an hour with a fault this evening. 415 was also on Cambridge - Ipswich duties.

328 is on test this evening.

Established Member

14x= 0.7 m/ s^2 (10mpg)
16x= 0.7 m/s^2 (5mpg)
17x= 0.5 m/s^2 (7mpg)
I've always been lead to believe a GA 360 was 1.0 m/s2. So hold on tight if a driver gives a 755 full welly from a standing start.

dk1

Veteran Member
423 on the 19:47 from Cambridge blocked the up platform at Stowmarket for nearly an hour with a fault this evening. 415 was also on Cambridge - Ipswich duties.

328 is on test this evening.
Only blessing is it was in that direction. At least other trains can work around it.

Railperf

Established Member
0.98 m/s2 to be exact. Test runs when they were new saw it doing Ipswich to Liverpool Street in just over 53 minutes.
The 755/4s acceleration is on diesel on a par with a 360. But In electric mode it is absolutely ludicrous. The initial start from rest does not appear to be too severe either because it has been programmed that way..or drivers are gradually applying power.

The 755/4s acceleration is on diesel on a par with a 360. But In electric mode it is absolutely ludicrous. The initial start from rest does not appear to be too severe either because it has been programmed that way..or drivers are gradually applying power.

Having seen a 755 depart from Stowmarket in electric mode last night, I don't recall seeing anything like it. With the conditions being more favourable now and the drivers having got used to the 755s you can certainly see the difference.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Having seen a 755 depart from Stowmarket in electric mode last night, I don't recall seeing anything like it. With the conditions being more favourable now and the drivers having got used to the 755s you can certainly see the difference.

I was on a Cambridge service to Ipswich that changed from Diesel to Electric at Stowmarket and the speed that it took off at was astonishing, real feeling of power and a massive difference compared to diesel mode.

Official figures are:
3 car - 1.3m/s2 (2.9 mph per second) Electric
3 car - 0.7m/s2 (1.6 mph per sec) Diesel
4 car - 1.1m/s2 (2.5 mph per sec) Electric
4 car - 0.9m/s2 (2.0 mph per sec) Diesel

So if you think a 755/4 is fast, the 755/3 will be even quicker.

360 still quicker than either on diesel mode though.

Railperf

Established Member
I was on a Cambridge service to Ipswich that changed from Diesel to Electric at Stowmarket and the speed that it took off at was astonishing, real feeling of power and a massive difference compared to diesel mode.

Official figures are:
3 car - 1.3m/s2 (2.9 mph per second) Electric
3 car - 0.7m/s2 (1.6 mph per sec) Diesel
4 car - 1.1m/s2 (2.5 mph per sec) Electric
4 car - 0.9m/s2 (2.0 mph per sec) Diesel

So if you think a 755/4 is fast, the 755/3 will be even quicker.

360 still quicker than either on diesel mode though.
Yes. I am waiting for a 755/3 to appear on the Cambridge Ipswich line. I am told they are capable of 0 to 100mph in under 70 seconds.
In diesel mode the 3-car will be slower than a 360. But the 4-car on diesel is most definitely on a par with a 360. No kidding!

TheEdge

Established Member
Yes. I am waiting for a 755/3 to appear on the Cambridge Ipswich line. I am told they are capable of 0 to 100mph in under 70 seconds.

They are astonishing on electric. Opening them up once you pass the 85 board leaving Ipswich you can hit 100 as you pass over Europa Junction.

On diesel the 3 cars feel like a 3 car 170 did when they were in good form on a dry rail.

Railperf

Established Member
Wow, already these units seem way too short. A 755/4 coming into Cambridge yesterday was absolutely full with people and their luggage and took around 4 to 5 minutes to unload. The lack of doors is a serious issue. These definitely needed a second pair of doors per vehicle for the busier stretches of line. The Ely to Stansted section is proving to be very busy - especially between Cambridge and Ely. The bike area seems favourite for people to park/stack suitcases.

dk1

Veteran Member
Wow, already these units seem way too short. A 755/4 coming into Cambridge yesterday was absolutely full with people and their luggage and took around 4 to 5 minutes to unload. The lack of doors is a serious issue. These definitely needed a second pair of doors per vehicle for the busier stretches of line. The Ely to Stansted section is proving to be very busy - especially between Cambridge and Ely. The bike area seems favourite for people to park/stack suitcases.
4-5 minutes? I've worked some crush loaded services and been in and out of Cambridge in the booked 2 minutes with ease. Whatever where the ditherers doing on the service you witnessed?

trebor79

Established Member
Yes they do seem to empty and fill quite quickly.
It helps if people waiting to board aren't too British and start boarding on the "short" side of the door whilst the "long" side is still emptying. There's easily enough space for this as the doors are very wide.

arb

I've also witnessed a 4-5 minute wait for passenger unloading/loading at Cambridge on a Stansted to Norwich train in the evening peak. Certainly not every time, but it does happen. I've seen a crush-loaded train from Stansted which practically emptied at Cambridge, followed by a new crush-loading getting on the same train (half of which then emptied at Waterbeach - why has this route gained northbound evening peak stops at Waterbeach, but doesn't stop there southbound in the morning peak?)

arb

At approximately 17:30, yes, you're right, and that does make sense. The Liverpool Street to Ely (17:21 from Cambridge) no longer calls at Waterbeach, and the 17:29 to Norwich does. But this leads to the obvious follow-on questions:
  • why lengthen the services in the evening that used to call at Waterbeach, but not in the morning?
  • why lengthen services if doing so means dropping station calls, so there will actually be fewer passengers on the train! (OK, maybe it needs more capacity between London and Cambridge, rather than between Cambridge and Ely)
But an hour later, no, this can't be the explanation, because the Liverpool Street to King's Lynn (18:20 from Cambridge) does still call at Waterbeach, followed by the 18:30 Norwich train with it's additional call.

The old 18:22 Cambridge to Ely shuttle has been removed completely from the new timetable, and that used to call at Waterbeach, so you could say that the 18:30 Norwich train's additional Waterbeach call replaces that, but nothing has replaced the full journey of the 18:22 to Ely, so there is actually one fewer train to Ely in the evening peak as a result.

It all seems a bit random!

delticdave

They are astonishing on electric. Opening them up once you pass the 85 board leaving Ipswich you can hit 100 as you pass over Europa Junction.

On diesel the 3 cars feel like a 3 car 170 did when they were in good form on a dry rail.

According to Marsdens Rolling Stock Review (2018 edition) the 755/3's are rated @960 kW on diesel, v a 3-car 170 rated at 945 kW. Not so sure re. the respective power to weight ratios but the the Voith T211r transmissions might be less efficient than the Stadler gen-set drives.