• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Abbo

A correspondent has reported to me that '3 and a bit and 4 and a bit' trains on the Ipswich to Cambridge and Ipswich to Peterborough services appear to running on diesel throughout from his observations at Stowmarket. If correct , why ?

dk1

Veteran Member
A correspondent has reported to me that '3 and a bit and 4 and a bit' trains on the Ipswich to Cambridge and Ipswich to Peterborough services appear to running on diesel throughout from his observations at Stowmarket. If correct , why ?
Only if the pantograph is isolated (or driver error as it's easy done). There are a couple running like this so might just be those witnessed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Really? Presumably there are more safeguards against getting it wrong the other way round?
They have pan protection so would apply the brakes and drop the pantograph before reaching Haughley Junction for example. I've done it many times on shunt moves. It's no big deal running to the next station or signal stop on diesel mode then switching to electric. Very easy to forget after operating diesel only trains all these years.

LAX54

Established Member
They have pan protection so would apply the brakes and drop the pantograph before reaching Haughley Junction for example. I've done it many times on shunt moves. It's no big deal running to the next station or signal stop on diesel mode then switching to electric. Very easy to forget after operating diesel only trains all these years.

Being a bit dense here..:) but if the brakes apply and pan drops before reaching Haughley, how does the unit know which way it's going ? route could be set for Diss,

dk1

Veteran Member
Being a bit dense here..:) but if the brakes apply and pan drops before reaching Haughley, how does the unit know which way it's going ? route could be set for Diss,
Ahh see what you mean. It's no problem mate. Before we leave it asks us our destination. If we set the wrong one then it's slapped wrist time :lol:

Abbo

Has any progress been made on multiple running while we have been 'confined' ~ except that is for the brave NHS and rail staff. ?

dk1

Veteran Member
Has any progress been made on multiple running while we have been 'confined' ~ except that is for the brave NHS and rail staff. ?
There has been ongoing testing and I think it's getting imminent.

LAX54

Established Member
There has been ongoing testing and I think it's getting imminent.
it

The 'test' they did with the 755 and 745 a couple weeks back seemed to work pretty well :) it was doing a fair lick when it left the Goods Rd here !

dk1

Veteran Member
it

The 'test' they did with the 755 and 745 a couple weeks back seemed to work pretty well :) it was doing a fair lick when it left the Goods Rd here !
Reminded me of the Voyager dragging the Pendolino testing on the WCML.

smsm1

It would help if there was some more audible whirring noise so it sounded like pressing the button HAD caused something to start happening.
Could do what some Dutch traffic lights do by having a countdown with the dots around the light like a timer so that you know how long you have to wait. In this case it would be the lights around the button, however it would probably mean having to rewrite then to control each led separately.

Grumbler

Could do what some Dutch traffic lights do by having a countdown with the dots around the light like a timer so that you know how long you have to wait. In this case it would be the lights around the button, however it would probably mean having to rewrite then to control each led separately.
And accompanied by the jingle from the TV programme!

Abbo

MNR magazine 'Blastpipe' has reports of 755+745 coupling tests being undertaken in Dereham station. Anyone know if they were successful ?

fat_boy_pete

MNR magazine 'Blastpipe' has reports of 755+745 coupling tests being undertaken in Dereham station. Anyone know if they were successful ?
There was a description of a successful drag of a 745 by a 755/3 from LST to COL, so I would guess yes.

LAX54

Established Member
There was a description of a successful drag of a 745 by a 755/3 from LST to COL, so I would guess yes.

In fact it was London to Norwich, waited at Colchester for a T3 to be given up, left here like a scalded cat ! (75/3 hauling 'dead' 745)

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I notice that Mr Denby has been in the local press today talking about the introduction of the new trains in a meeting with Suffolk County Council stating that the issues in late 2019 and early 20020 with the 755s were caused by technical and software problems as well as infrastructure difficulties. I mean, who'd have known?

It's amazing how they drop the spin and finally start to fess up when they realise that there is an opportunity to bury the release of these details bering in mind they were at pains to deny that was the case and were saying that it had nothing to do with their new trains and were only too happy to call people out who suggested actually it might be.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I did but thought I'd highlight it :) There are zero surprises here. "Move along, nothing to see".... etc.

Fortunately for GA the pandemic has led people to forget about the 'new trains in 2019' promise for daily 321 and 317 users.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I would expect to see MTIN increase during the Covid period really, since with less units being required they can be more selective with which ones they send out whereas with a full timetable they'd not be able to be so picky.

Established Member
I would expect to see MTIN increase during the Covid period really, since with less units being required they can be more selective with which ones they send out whereas with a full timetable they'd not be able to be so picky.
Much lower mileage being run though. Its why generally inner suburban units comes out much lower - the whole use of MTIN as a measure is massively skewed. You can have far fewer failures but a much lower MTIN than an IC fleet.

RailWonderer

Established Member
A 755/3 ran the 09:00 ex-NRW and 11:30 ex-LST two days ago, captured here:
Would've wanted to be on that one, but that would just be selfish and irresponsible in these times I think.