• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

chubs

Why would they use diesel if there is power available?

Seat reservations really not needed on the routes they operate on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Managed to time a 3 car from 0 - 100 on OHL.

Starting from a stand at a red signal Haughley Junction climbing the gradient heading down road it took 81 seconds to hit 100, which I'd say is fairly impressive.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Had a few rides this weekend (and on 745s). Impressed by the ambience.

Main problem was the step down from the raised area over the bogie which I fell down from !.

dk1

Veteran Member
I noticed that when standing in platforms 1 - 5 in Norwich, the diesel engines were switched off and the pantographs raised; is that normal?
Obviously its better to allow them to idle on electric rather than diesel but also because on taking the drivers key out the clock starts ticking & the unit will gradually shut itself down over 20 or so minutes. This leads to two problems. Firstly the doors will lock at the end thus trapping any passengers already onboard. Secondly when the next driver tries to start the unit it will have to go through the full process from shutdown. This can take 4-6 minutes and potentially lead to a delay. Leaving the unit with pantograph raised saves all these issues. That's why it's now frustrating to find your train is in platform 6 at Norwich.

LAX54

Established Member
Obviously its better to allow them to idle on electric rather than diesel but also because on taking the drivers key out the clock starts ticking & the unit will gradually shut itself down over 20 or so minutes. This leads to two problems. Firstly the doors will lock at the end thus trapping any passengers already onboard. Secondly when the next driver tries to start the unit it will have to go through the full process from shutdown. This can take 4-6 minutes and potentially lead to a delay. Leaving the unit with pantograph raised saves all these issues. That's why it's now frustrating to find your train is in platform 6 at Norwich.
Some would say that is absurd ?

LAX54

Established Member
Can you arrange for 6 to be wired this weekend please? Nobody has mor clout than you ;)

If only ! Get myself into enough grief too easliy already ! maybe as the whiole fleet is now bi-mode a business case can be made.....on delays and trapped passengers alone !

Established Member
Can you arrange for 6 to be wired this weekend please? Nobody has mor clout than you ;)

And order a bit of spare wire for platform 1 at Ipswich to save us all getting wet ;)

I have tripped down the step, banged my head and got trapped in a unit, all on the same day in platform 6 at Norwich when the units were first delivered :oops: Not the best way to learn, but you don’t do it again (yet!). Fortunately the unit was forming the train I wanted to catch, just advertised about 40 minutes before departure.

LAX54

Established Member
755 408 currently heading to Colchester substituting for a 745.

15.43 off Ipswich...

Was going to be for the 1430, but the 755 failed, so stepped up the 745, 755408 came good for the 1500, and will form 1P50 starting Colchester at 1819

dk1

Veteran Member
Was going to be for the 1430, but the 755 failed, so stepped up the 745, 755408 came good for the 1500, and will form 1P50 starting Colchester at 1819
You boys have been so helpful with my requests today on the 5Qxx testing paths. The tech bods onboard can be very demanding with their stop/start, high speed testing & other route needs. Much appreciated.

Railperf

Established Member
Managed to time a 3 car from 0 - 100 on OHL.

Starting from a stand at a red signal Haughley Junction climbing the gradient heading down road it took 81 seconds to hit 100, which I'd say is fairly impressive.
That is very impressive. Even better on a level or slightly downhill start - 100mph in 69secs is achievable!! Even in torrential rain a 755 leaving Colchester for Manningtree was faster to 60mph and 100mph than my best Class 360 run timed in dry conditions!

dk1

Veteran Member
I don't think that's helped by the doors being held open due to Covid. I had a very noisy experience from Cambridge sat near the pod.
Not all are set to have them open. I override it if they are & keep them closed.

trebor79

Established Member
Not all are set to have them open. I override it if they are & keep them closed.
Well done. I went into Norwich a few weeks ago and they were closed, thankfully. Given the very low loadings, the "risk" of transmission form touching buttons must be unmeasurable. Plus you really ought to wash your hands after visiting the bog (the only real reason you'd need to pass through the power car)!
Which reminds me, have the toilet taps been altered, seemed much easier to wash my hands than in the past?

dk1

Veteran Member
Well done. I went into Norwich a few weeks ago and they were closed, thankfully. Given the very low loadings, the "risk" of transmission form touching buttons must be unmeasurable. Plus you really ought to wash your hands after visiting the bog (the only real reason you'd need to pass through the power car)!
Which reminds me, have the toilet taps been altered, seemed much easier to wash my hands than in the past?
There are no taps in the toilets. It's all done by sensor.

170TurboFan

I do enjoy the thrash but my sister who was sat opposite me not so much and wished the doors were closed due to the noise. I do think the auto shutdown is a little silly on diesel mode locking the doors as well requiring as you say the full reset taking 5 minutes. But can understand why, maybe Stadler were talking to Northern at the time who like to make you wait until 2 minutes before departure before letting you on. Anything on Platform 6 I don’t wait on the train due to the automatic locking.

trebor79

Established Member
There are no taps in the toilets. It's all done by sensor.
I know. Sorry I should have been clearer, have the sensors been altered? It used to be next to impossible to properly wet your hands and rinse the soap off because the sensor was to one side of where the water comes out and the water stops almost instantly that the sensor stops "seeing" your hand. After about 6 tries there is a big CLUNK from somewhere behind the mirror and that's your lot, no more water.
The last time I travelled, I managed to wash my hands properly, a first fort hear units.
Noticed too that the enhanced cleaning also seems to involved wiping all of the toilet spray from the walls - good news. I didn't like using the small cubicles with visible "stuff" in a ring round the pan and slowly dribbling towards the floor.

dk1

Veteran Member
I know. Sorry I should have been clearer, have the sensors been altered? It used to be next to impossible to properly wet your hands and rinse the soap off because the sensor was to one side of where the water comes out and the water stops almost instantly that the sensor stops "seeing" your hand. After about 6 tries there is a big CLUNK from somewhere behind the mirror and that's your lot, no more water.
The last time I travelled, I managed to wash my hands properly, a first fort hear units.
Noticed too that the enhanced cleaning also seems to involved wiping all of the toilet spray from the walls - good news. I didn't like using the small cubicles with visible "stuff" in a ring round the pan and slowly dribbling towards the floor.

No that's not nice but good they are cleaning them. Plenty of extra hygiene measures. Not noticed any change with the water flow for hand washing. Cant say personally I've had an issue.

421 is parked up At Colchester with the London end bogie on wheel skates.
Gearbox issue I am led to believe.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I don't think that's helped by the doors being held open due to Covid. I had a very noisy experience from Cambridge sat near the pod.

Why does that bit of wire not go full length of platform?
I think it was as usual with BR done as cheaply as possible with only regard to operational use. Nobody would have imagined EMUs using P1 so all it was good for was as a shunt use for electric locos. Sticking up an 'Electric Trains Stop Here' sign was an easy way out.

LAX54

Established Member
You boys have been so helpful with my requests today on the 5Qxx testing paths. The tech bods onboard can be very demanding with their stop/start, high speed testing & other route needs. Much appreciated.

We always try to help :) tell us what you need, and will try to accomodate, does not always pan out tho of course. the 755 parked on the Reception Road is a bit of a pain tho :) (Flat Tyres I hear)

And order a bit of spare wire for platform 1 at Ipswich to save us all getting wet ;)

I have tripped down the step, banged my head and got trapped in a unit, all on the same day in platform 6 at Norwich when the units were first delivered :oops: Not the best way to learn, but you don’t do it again (yet!). Fortunately the unit was forming the train I wanted to catch, just advertised about 40 minutes before departure.

Rest assured if you are on a 755 from Ipswich/Diss, you will never go into P6 now !

dk1

Veteran Member
We always try to help :) tell us what you need, and will try to accomodate, does not always pan out tho of course. the 755 parked on the Reception Road is a bit of a pain tho :) (Flat Tyres.
Was told yesterday it's a gearbox issue. Should be skated to Clacton overnight this week.

LAX54

Established Member
Was told yesterday it's a gearbox issue. Should be skated to Clacton overnight this week.
ok :) we were under impression it was 'flats' :) so how does it work brake wise with, what will be the last bogie on the unit?

dk1

Veteran Member
ok :) we were under impression it was 'flats' :) so how does it work brake wise with, what will be the last bogie on the unit?
Now you've got me. Shame you didn't ask yesterday as I spent all day testing with the tech guy who's assisting with the move. I've never done a skater.

LAX54

Established Member
Now you've got me. Shame you didn't ask yesterday as I spent all day testing with the tech guy who's assisting with the move. I've never done a skater.
Unless, as it is articulated, there are still 'braked' wheels on the last coach

TheEdge

Established Member
Rest assured if you are on a 755 from Ipswich/Diss, you will never go into P6 now !

Still annoying when we get sent into the Low Level then have to stop halfway in to drop the pan and start the diesels! Although I often call you lot up near Flordon and ask to see what I can get to make it that bit easier... ;)