• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think it was as usual with BR done as cheaply as possible with only regard to operational use. Nobody would have imagined EMUs using P1 so all it was good for was as a shunt use for electric locos. Sticking up an 'Electric Trains Stop Here' sign was an easy way out.

To my untrained eye, no obvious 'easy' place to terminate/tension the wire beyond the buffer stops, whereas easier to plonk a mast alongside the track in some space once clear of the station building.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Still annoying when we get sent into the Low Level then have to stop halfway in to drop the pan and start the diesels! Although I often call you lot up near Flordon and ask to see what I can get to make it that bit easier... ;)
Not quite sure why the rule in P6, maybe that will get extended to the L/L !

TheEdge

Established Member
Not quite sure why the rule in P6, maybe that will get extended to the L/L !

I guess with 6 its possible to come in on greens, trundle through the station throat at 25 and realise you are going into 6 just as the pan pings off the overheads. With the Low level we'll probably get a single yellow at Lakenham, definitely get a single yellow at Trowse and probably get stopped or almost brought to a stand at Thorpe Junction, lots of reminders about the pan and where we're going, and several roads of the L/L are wired anyway.

LAX54

Established Member
I guess with 6 its possible to come in on greens, trundle through the station throat at 25 and realise you are going into 6 just as the pan pings off the overheads. With the Low level we'll probably get a single yellow at Lakenham, definitely get a single yellow at Trowse and probably get stopped or almost brought to a stand at Thorpe Junction, lots of reminders about the pan and where we're going, and several roads of the L/L are wired anyway.
True :) although you do get a 6 on 565/7 and 1783/1785 :)

LAX54

Established Member
I thought that since Moorgate it was not possible to enter a terminal platform on 'greens' ; perhaps one of our driver members could enlighten us.

No all terminals are a single yellow for the last signal (or a sub if attaching )
Green at Trowse Upper, Double Yellow at Trowse Lower/Bridge and Single Yellow Thorpe Junction.

TheEdge

Established Member
True :) although you do get a 6 on 565/7 and 1783/1785 :)

I was more thinking of the subconscious sort of reminders you'll get on an approach to the L/L rather than an unobstructed run into a platform.

I thought that since Moorgate it was not possible to enter a terminal platform on 'greens' ; perhaps one of our driver members could enlighten us.

It isn't, I was just using some lazy phrasing. Coming from Ipswich into a platform at Norwich you get a clear run in from around Lakenham, if you get a green at Lakenham you are almost certainly running all the way into a platform, and you are definitely going over Trowse Bridge at least. Conversely if you get a single yellow at Trowse that normally means you are stopping at Trowse which gives you a subconcious trigger that there might be things to think about. LAX54 might be able to confirm but I don't think its possible for the signal at Trowse Lower to display a single yellow if the one at Lakenham is green, I don't think its a boundary signal.

LAX54

Established Member
I was more thinking of the subconscious sort of reminders you'll get on an approach to the L/L rather than an unobstructed run into a platform.

It isn't, I was just using some lazy phrasing. Coming from Ipswich into a platform at Norwich you get a clear run in from around Lakenham, if you get a green at Lakenham you are almost certainly running all the way into a platform, and you are definitely going over Trowse Bridge at least. Conversely if you get a single yellow at Trowse that normally means you are stopping at Trowse which gives you a subconcious trigger that there might be things to think about. LAX54 might be able to confirm but I don't think its possible for the signal at Trowse Lower to display a single yellow if the one at Lakenham is green, I don't think its a boundary signal.

Trowse Lower will show a single yellow if CO565/7 is red of course, but it will be approach controlled :) (CO549)

Roger B

Had my first trips on a few of these yesterday. One feature I particularly appreciated was that the socket under the seats was upside down - ie with the single pin at the top and the pair of pins at the bottom. So much easier inserting a plug into this than when the socket is the conventional way up, which is really awkward when the socket is under the seat.. More Swiss ingenuity?

trebor79

Established Member
Yes they are very nice units to travel in, and the socket design is one of several clever features.
If I was being really picky I'd say the sockets would be better on the back of the seat in front, but that is being really picky.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yes they are very nice units to travel in, and the socket design is one of several clever features.
If I was being really picky I'd say the sockets would be better on the back of the seat in front, but that is being really picky.
Doing that, however, means if both seats are occupied, the aisle seat passenger is using the socket then the window seat passenger would need to climb over the cable or ask the other person to unplug their device before they can get out. The plug being under the same seat makes that a non-issue.

Established Member
On a trip out yesterday, I noticed that the units have a new announcement which plays on approach to Brandon (presumably at a few other stations too, although that's the only place I heard it!). Something along the lines of "Please take care when stepping on or off the raised seating areas".

trebor79

Established Member
Doing that, however, means if both seats are occupied, the aisle seat passenger is using the socket then the window seat passenger would need to climb over the cable or ask the other person to unplug their device before they can get out. The plug being under the same seat makes that a non-issue.
Actually the current arrangement leads to the problem you describe. If the window passenger needs to get out, you have to put your device on your seat.
If the plugs were on the back of the seat in front, or under the table then you'd just put it on the table or seat back table.

I understand why it's been done the way it has - it means only one design of seat is needed and that there's no need to incorporate sockets into the tables. It's a very minor thing though.

dk1

Veteran Member
On a trip out yesterday, I noticed that the units have a new announcement which plays on approach to Brandon (presumably at a few other stations too, although that's the only place I heard it!). Something along the lines of "Please take care when stepping on or off the raised seating areas".
Always makes us laugh. Brandon folk & a couple of other towns must be particularly clumsy :lol: Thetford is blessed with 'see it say it sorted'.

ashkeba

Established Member
Always makes us laugh. Brandon folk & a couple of other towns must be particularly clumsy :lol: Thetford is blessed with 'see it say it sorted'.
I say "Thetford" every time I see it but they haven't sorted it yet! Who do I need to complain to? ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Had my first trips on a few of these yesterday. One feature I particularly appreciated was that the socket under the seats was upside down - ie with the single pin at the top and the pair of pins at the bottom.

Isn't this the normal way up for a socket in this country though?

Having been on a few 755s myself already, I agree they are very good trains to ride in.

trebor79

Established Member
Had my first trips on a few of these yesterday. One feature I particularly appreciated was that the socket under the seats was upside down - ie with the single pin at the top and the pair of pins at the bottom. So much easier inserting a plug into this than when the socket is the conventional way up, which is really awkward when the socket is under the seat.. More Swiss ingenuity?
Isn't this the normal way up for a socket in this country though?
Yes, OP has described them as though they are right way up with earth pin at the top. They are actually upside down, with the earth pin at the bottom, so the lead is pointing up, not down.

sjoh

Saw a 755 at Stratford today at around 10:15 heading towards Liverpool Street. Couldn't tell if it was in service or not, as I was jumping on the tube, but it did have destination displays turned on indicating that it was for LST. Anyone know what it was doing there?

(Yes, it was definitely a 755 not a 745)

dk1

Veteran Member
Saw a 755 at Stratford today at around 10:15 heading towards Liverpool Street. Couldn't tell if it was in service or not, as I was jumping on the tube, but it did have destination displays turned on indicating that it was for LST. Anyone know what it was doing there?

Driver training most likely. Not passed for passenger operation in that neck of the woods yet.

Shwam3

ASDO Software testing between Norwich, Stratford, and Orient Way.

Last edited:

RailWonderer

Established Member
Driver training most likely. Not passed for passenger operation in that neck of the woods yet.
Still an issue of having to isolate ASDO making it a safety fault then? Makes me wonder why the ORR haven't authoriesed them as long as they have a guard on board. THe railway has some quirks to it.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Still an issue of having to isolate ASDO making it a safety fault then? Makes me wonder why the ORR haven't authoriesed them as long as they have a guard on board. THe railway has some quirks to it.

ASLEF agreement post industrial action was for all stock to be able to run without a guard between London and Ipswich.

Shunter_69

ASDO isn’t isolated, It just hasn’t been programmed yet beyond Colchester except for the Sudbury branch so 755’s don’t run that far.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have noticed a far larger proportion of the 755/4 fleet (75%) around than 755/3s (50%). This is mainly by my own observation at Norwich and Ipswich and other peoples reports. Where are these elusive 755/3s lurking ?.

DannyMich2018

I have noticed a far larger proportion of the 755/4 fleet (75%) around than 755/3s (50%). This is mainly by my own observation at Norwich and Ipswich and other peoples reports. Where are these elusive 755/3s lurking ?.
Maybe they are trying to use the 755/4s more due to their increased capacity so as to help with Social Distancing?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Maybe they are trying to use the 755/4s more due to their increased capacity so as to help with Social Distancing?
That's a point. So have to assume the 755/3s are at Norwich Crown Point or are they somewhere else inaccessible ?. Can only hope a fuller timetable brings them out.

Shunter_69

The ASDO database update was being tested this week so they may be seen on Norwich to London journeys before long.