• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
I wish this could be our standard local DMU replacement for the whole country, but aren't they having trouble getting these to fit with existing infrastructure?

There are a few niggles but it looks like only the Sudbury branch will remain 156 operated although work is in hand to overcome this I've been told.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Not surprising. It is a dreadful cup holder (there’s actually two) Won’t last 5 mins. Although there is also a fold down table in the cab to dine on too. The rest of the train, though obviously not so important, is rather impressive from a first viewing. Looking forward to riding them on the GEML on the through Lowestofts in both diesel and electric mode. The drivers cab, compared to the blunt end of a 153, bears no comparison whatsoever. Chalk and Cheese are closer.

Couldn't agree more. Not so keen on the 2nd mans tip up seat back left but then I can always give up the DI malarkey. Excellent looking train throughout.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Not surprising. It is a dreadful cup holder (there’s actually two) Won’t last 5 mins. Although there is also a fold down table in the cab to dine on too. The rest of the train, though obviously not so important, is rather impressive from a first viewing. Looking forward to riding them on the GEML on the through Lowestofts in both diesel and electric mode. The drivers cab, compared to the blunt end of a 153, bears no comparison whatsoever. Chalk and Cheese are closer.
Swiss cheese? Hope it doesn't have too many holes, they would make it rather draughty.

bahnause

The drivers cab, compared to the blunt end of a 153, bears no comparison whatsoever. Chalk and Cheese are closer.
Looks very much like the standard Stadler cab form the KISS trains. A few elements shuffled and turned around. I hope they used the same touchscreens. They are very responsive compared to others. The cup holder ist fine though, never destroyed one.

neontrix

I hope we get a very similar Stadler product if the next East Midlands TOC opt for replacement over refurbishment of their aging DMUs. They look fantastic in and out, from a passenger perspective.

trebor79

Established Member
They do look very good indeed. I can't see how it makes an ounce of economic sense to replace the 170s with them but I'm not going to complain!
I also understand that with their introduction, the Norwich - Cambridge services will be extended to Stansted. So it'll be possible to get a direct train from my local station to the airport.

AlexNL

Established Member
I can't see how it makes an ounce of economic sense to replace the 170s with them
The leasing costs for the 755's will probably be higher than for the 170s, but this can be offset against easier maintenance, less staff training, and higher interchangeability.

GA only have 12 170s, while the new 755 fleet will be bigger. This makes it easier to have a unit cover for a different unit, relating to having to work in multiple as well as staff training.

eastdyke

Established Member
They do look very good indeed. I can't see how it makes an ounce of economic sense to replace the 170s with them but I'm not going to complain!
And with Stadler being responsible for maintenance at Crown Point it might just be difficult to accommodate 'other makes'?

dp21

GA only have 12 170s, while the new 755 fleet will be bigger. This makes it easier to have a unit cover for a different unit, relating to having to work in multiple as well as staff training.

The 15Xs have a lower top speed than the 170s meaning that if they're put on a Cambridge they lose time. Having a homogenous fleet allows much more operational flexibility.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 15Xs have a lower top speed than the 170s meaning that if they're put on a Cambridge they lose time. Having a homogenous fleet allows much more operational flexibility.

Actually the timetable is designed so as a 156 loses little if anytime on the Norwich Cambridge route. It has been gradually dumbed down from the initial 70min journey time in 2002 when launched. It also stops at two extra stations since then. There isn't that much of the route with line speed higher than 75mph.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Perhaps more importantly, the 170s at least have a home after they are withdrawn, and that in turn allows Sprinters in Wales to be cascaded / withdrawn, so I'm fine with it. Premature replacement of stock (valid leasing cost & fleet harmonisation reasons aside) is only really bothersome if the displaced units won't see further use.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps more importantly, the 170s at least have a home after they are withdrawn, and that in turn allows Sprinters in Wales to be cascaded / withdrawn, so I'm fine with it. Premature replacement of stock (valid leasing cost & fleet harmonisation reasons aside) is only really bothersome if the displaced units won't see further use.

Indeed, so it's more of an issue with EMUs than DMUs - as there is a serious DMU shortage, anyone buying something that replaces a DMU that can then go elsewhere is a benefit. It's a bit like people who replace their car every two to three years don't only benefit themselves at considerable cost, but also provide a ready supply of used cars for those who prefer a thriftier option.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
So does that mean the timetable could be speed up once the FLIRTs are fully rolled out? Uniform fleet, better acceleration might be able to better utilise the higher speed sections of track?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Cue tweets from indignant members of the public:
"the train driver was drinking coffee and eating a sandwich when he should of been steering the train!! This would never happen under British Rail!!!!!11" ;)

Being serious, these units look really good, makes me wish the Northern franchise had been bid a couple of years later.
Just wish Stadler trains didn't have such silly names: Flirt? Kiss? Are they run by those two blokes who own West Ham United??;)

Midnight Sun

Just wish Stadler trains didn't have such silly names: Flirt? Kiss? Are they run by those two blokes who own West Ham United??;)
Its acronym

F
ast Light Intercity & Regional Train or Flirt for short

Komfortabler Innovativer Spurtstarker S-Bahn-Zug or KISS for short
comfortable, innovative, sprint-capable suburban train in english.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Its acronym

F
ast Light Intercity & Regional Train or Flirt for short

Komfortabler Innovativer Spurtstarker S-Bahn-Zug or KISS for short
comfortable, innovative, sprint-capable suburban train in english.
I know, but that "carry-on" style humour really grinds my gears...
I imagine it's also a Backronym!
Agreed. Even with German as a first language, they probably started with the names and worked backwards. Maybe it's the Swiss that deserve the reputation the Germans have for comedy? ;)

chubs

Actually the timetable is designed so as a 156 loses little if anytime on the Norwich Cambridge route. It has been gradually dumbed down from the initial 70min journey time in 2002 when launched. It also stops at two extra stations since then. There isn't that much of the route with line speed higher than 75mph.

I did actually think that the GA Cambridge service seemed slower these past few years compared to the 00's, thanks for confirming it!

dk1

Veteran Member
I did actually think that the GA Cambridge service seemed slower these past few years compared to the 00's, thanks for confirming it!
You're welcome. Anglia insisted on that figure to be competitive with road & didn't want to stop at Attleborough. Brandon followed in 2004.

Kneedown

Established Member
90 starts the Norwich side of Harling Road.
Yeah, but the late closure of the MCBOD at Harling, and the permanent temporary 40 over Croxton generally kills it for us. Not to mention sluggish 158 acceleration these days.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah, but the late closure of the MCBOD at Harling, and the permanent temporary 40 over Croxton generally kills it for us. Not to mention sluggish 158 acceleration these days.

Cannot remember the last time I got checked by the MCBOD at Harling up road but that's may be because the GA precedes the EMs. Down road I don't think it's ever happened apart from if being cautioned. No end in sight to the farce that is Croxton I'm afraid <(

chubs

You're welcome. Anglia insisted on that figure to be competitive with road & didn't want to stop at Attleborough. Brandon followed in 2004.

I'd actually assumed those stops were put in instead of the EMT stopping there, what with it being a long distance service. It does seem to still stop at odd stops occasional though.

Even though the EMT is quicker to get to Ely I tend to get the GA as more room and less crowded and it gets there first.

D6700

Some photos from Velim today. Unfortunately there was no movement and (of course) the sun was in the wrong place.
View attachment 52628 View attachment 52629 View attachment 52630 View attachment 52631 View attachment 52632 View attachment 52633 View attachment 52634

I took a look on Monday and the unit was parked in exactly the same place. Whilst I was on the other side of the complex, it powered up and started moving. I thought I was going to see some test runs, but it simply moved into the shed alongside the 331 in your pictures in the other thread. Whilst I was on the wrong side to hear it properly, I did think it sounded more like a loco than a unit.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'd actually assumed those stops were put in instead of the EMT stopping there, what with it being a long distance service. It does seem to still stop at odd stops occasional though.

The far more sensible timetable that we have today didn't come in until a few years later. The Anglia service just fitted around Central Trains & others after Ely. CT continued calling at Wymondham, Attleborough & Brandon on every other service. For example Anglia departures where at 05:29, 07:05, 08:40, 09:13 & this went on for much of the day in no particular pattern. The final two of their services where at 19:30 & 21:25 & where the only ones not to have trolley catering. The final 22:10 Nrw-Cbg was CTs operated as was the first down train each day. This was probably the busiest the Breckland Line had ever been as CT also operated a couple of Birmingham service too. Brandon went from 36k to around 80k users a year once Anglia started stopping their.

I also understand that with their introduction, the Norwich - Cambridge services will be extended to Stansted. So it'll be possible to get a direct train from my local station to the airport.

Won't FLIRTs to Stansted give added flexibility? Aren't there restrictions on using diesels in the two main platforms? Running as electrics, won't FLIRTs be able to use any of Stansted's three platforms?

Kneedown

Established Member
Cannot remember the last time I got checked by the MCBOD at Harling up road but that's may be because the GA precedes the EMs. Down road I don't think it's ever happened apart from if being cautioned. No end in sight to the farce that is Croxton I'm afraid <(

To be fair, after instructing and spending more time on the Liverpool side, I can probably count my trips to Norwich this year on one hand, and most of them on a Sunday, but I honestly cannot recall having greens through Harling Rd.
I believe the Croxton restriction is due to the road surface being prone to lifting? If so then it is strange that a solution has not been implemented after all this time