• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sean Emmett

LOL! (Thats not meant to be a station abbreviation).

Maybe I should have got the Renatus bit, but the (dusty) bin bit news to me!

And yes I do remember 3-2-1 with its weird format and indecipherable riddles.

Oh, and I have a blue mini 'dusty bin' as my office waste basket...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rick1984

The Mkiii have been refurbished nicely but they probably nackered in terms of the lively ride, jerking and squeaking.

LAX54

Established Member
But you see many that will let a 321 or a 360 go, in order to catch a hauled set :)

angryskipfan

RE: Stadler Class 66 moves - not translator required.

The class 66's are mechanically coupled to the 745's via a coupling adapter and 745 brakes are controlled by the Class 66 pneumatic brake pipe. These class 66's are not fitted with built in translators. The Class 745's therefore appear to have a pneumatic brake control system, or an EP system with pneumatic fall back. WSP may be active using the 745 aux control battery to mitigate against getting wheel flats. The pendolinos and 442 also have the pneumatic fallback system and brakes can be controlled by a loco with a brake pipe.

The 345's and Lotrain require a translator vehicle or one of the ROG class 37's etc fitted with built in translator. 345's use a delivery jumper for electric control of the braking from the translator vehicle as 345's do not have an electric head on the dellner, whilst 710's have a dellner auto-coupler with electric head. The 345 and 710 brake system electrics remained powered via the jumper and aux battery and non essential (non braking) loads tripped for the move.

MikePJ

The class 66's are mechanically coupled to the 745's via a coupling adapter and 745 brakes are controlled by the Class 66 pneumatic brake pipe. These class 66's are not fitted with built in translators. The Class 745's therefore appear to have a pneumatic brake control system, or an EP system with pneumatic fall back. WSP may be active using the 745 aux control battery to mitigate against getting wheel flats. The pendolinos and 442 also have the pneumatic fallback system and brakes can be controlled by a loco with a brake pipe.

The 345's and Lotrain require a translator vehicle or one of the ROG class 37's etc fitted with built in translator. 345's use a delivery jumper for electric control of the braking from the translator vehicle as 345's do not have an electric head on the dellner, whilst 710's have a dellner auto-coupler with electric head. The 345 and 710 brake system electrics remained powered via the jumper and aux battery and non essential (non braking) loads tripped for the move.

Thanks for the explanation! Seems like a sensible design feature to allow the unit to be delivered (and presumably rescued, if needs be) by any conventional locomotive rather than needing special equipment.

LAX54

Established Member

mind you it sounded like 407 had 'flats' on its way to Norwich :) but these may have been picked up the other side of the tunnel :)

Rick1984

The grey-with-red-highlights moquette looks really quite classy, too. I'm quite pleased to see we will be getting similar (with dark green highlights instead) on the WCML.
It's a shame they didn't pick this for their whole fleet.

Alfie1014

755408 seen at Dollands Moor yesterday waiting transfer to Crown Point, move last night cancelled due to driver issues.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Rail Magazine a few months ago said the Stansted Units would be the last of the Flirt sub-fleets into service. But dk1's "fluid" warning noted and appreciated.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Has the first unit done any testing on the mainline under it's own power yet?

The above links are class 6 workings (6J49) operated by Balfour Beatty, so some sort of track machine

LAX54

Established Member
In theory the test trips will be around 0130/0200 at Diss towards Trowse, with a 3Gxx but of course when they will run is unknown at the moment. but they will not be using OHL

camjkerman

I was wondering if anyone had any intel regarding roughly what formation would go on what services. My thinking would say that 4 Cars should go on Ipswich-Peterboroughs as they only run 1tp2h and are absolutely rammed with their 2 Car 170s.

MikePJ

Total wet-finger guess here:

Ipswich-Cambridge - 3-car (currently one or two cars)
(Stansted)-Cambridge-Norwich - 4-car (currently two or three cars)

There are 24 four-car units and 14 three-car units, so I think the longer-distance services like Ipswich-Peterborough are more likely to be four-car.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I was expecting pretty much all the currently 170-operated services to become 4-car and the 153/156 operated services to be the 3-car. I'm sure there'll be some tweaks to that as appropriate though.

I'm not sure how the Liverpool St - Lowestoft service will work yet. On the assumption that'll use two 4-cars coupled, that may well impact on how many 4-car units are available for the rural services.

dp21

believe it's the 745/0 Intercity Flirts coming next?

*happy to be corrected*.

745/1s are the first 12 cars to arrive in the UK. ICs taking longer due to buffet issues.

I’m guessing that will now come this week (Thursday) instead?.

Yup should arrive tomorrow morning with 406 next week.

Has the first unit done any testing on the mainline under it's own power yet?

Not yet. Later this week.

I was wondering if anyone had any intel regarding roughly what formation would go on what services. My thinking would say that 4 Cars should go on Ipswich-Peterboroughs as they only run 1tp2h and are absolutely rammed with their 2 Car 170s.

Four cars mostly centered on Norwich-Cambridge (+Stansted), Ipswich-Cambridge and Ipswich-Peterborough, although of course they will appear on other routes. Sheringham and Sudbury are Three cars only for platform length.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Four cars mostly centered on Norwich-Cambridge (+Stansted), Ipswich-Cambridge and Ipswich-Peterborough, although of course they will appear on other routes. Sheringham and Sudbury are Three cars only for platform length.

With presumably most of the Wherry lines services being 3-cars. 4-car for the longer-distance workings seems eminently sensible.

Established Member
Total wet-finger guess here:

Ipswich-Cambridge - 3-car (currently one or two cars)
(Stansted)-Cambridge-Norwich - 4-car (currently two or three cars)

There are 24 four-car units and 14 three-car units, so I think the longer-distance services like Ipswich-Peterborough are more likely to be four-car.

You need to dry your finger. Currently most Cambridge - Ipswich / Norwich services are 3 cars, Ipswich - Peterborough 2 cars. It is simply a game of matching demand to capacity, subject to operational requirements. The fuel range of these units makes that more of a challenge,
but the increase in fleet size can only help.