• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. Norwich services have a bit of a reputation for being put through no matter what at considerable expense to passengers travelling on literally any other services.
The premier Intercity service must have priority :p

Talking of which the planned Norwich in 90 schedules will have class 9 headcodes which means just that. Bet I still poodle along at 75 through Essex behind a blasted liner though :'(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adrian1980uk

Does anyone know which if any upgrades network rail are doing to support the new trains and 90 min journey time

dp21

Test run schedules are really ramping up with more or less one per day or night for the next couple of weeks.

For anyone interested I hear the first pan-up test was successfully completed the other day without having pulled the wires down.

Does anyone know which if any upgrades network rail are doing to support the new trains and 90 min journey time

There is no infrastructure work associated with the 90min schedule AFAIK. On the introduction of the new trains generally the Franchise Agreement says per below. AFAIK neither GA or NR have confirmed if or when this work will be done. NR has not published its CP6 enhancements programme as yet only maintenance and renewals.

Both West Anglia and GE main line have had some power upgrade works done last few years which should support more intensive timetable if GA ever get round to running it.

• Schedule 6.2 para 105 by 1 Sept 2018 extend platforms at Hertford East, Wickford, Manningtree, Kings Lynn, Elsenham, Ware, St Margarets and Enfield Lock Stations

fat_boy_pete

I was told that Power upgrades north of Ipswich were completed last Summer, to support 3 trains per hour. Now no limits on any Electric stock. There are also outstanding plans to close modify Level crossings IPS-NRW as well.

dk1

Veteran Member
Ipswich in 60 can easily be done now with an EMU and Norwich to 90 shouldn't be too hard even with current stock.
It isn't a problem. 1P46 regularly arrives at Ipswich in 57mins & ive done 1P15 from Ipswich up road in 53 with a wait outside Liv St. That particular train needs no more than 75mph Colchester to Shenfield & could have a Stratford call inserted without impact. That's how tardy timings are. Just needs other trains to to be moved to allow a clear run.

dk1

Veteran Member
I was told that Power upgrades north of Ipswich were completed last Summer, to support 3 trains per hour. Now no limits on any Electric stock. There are also outstanding plans to close modify Level crossings IPS-NRW as well.
That would require 14 very expensive upgrades from AHB to CCTV North of Ipswich & two South thereof. I can't see that happening any time soon.

Established Member
.........Just needs other trains to to be moved to allow a clear run.

Sounds so simple when you put it like that :)

I see the GA website (can’t provide a link just now) mentions testing on nights between Norwich and Diss, with particular advice to level crossing use at times when normally very few trains run.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member

I see the GA website (can’t provide a link just now) mentions testing on nights between Norwich and Diss, with particular advice to level crossing use at times when normally very few trains run.
I have a feeling that's intended more for the Yarmouth line which was also mentioned as a nighttime test bed route. There are several user worked crossings on this route that do not even have telephone communication to the signalboxes at Vauxhall & Acle.

Established Member
Yes should have mentioned Yarmouth too. The interesting tests are on electric power though, with all the additional results that need to be analysed there.

LAX54

Established Member
Ipswich in 60 can easily be done now with an EMU and Norwich to 90 shouldn't be too hard even with current stock.

The tests last year with 460s worked fine, as did the 321's last Sunday, I can see the first 'Ni90' being 360s !

LAX54

Established Member

Which is what is planned :) some 1Nxx and 1Yxx looped for the 9Pxx's to pass :)

LAX54

Established Member
Yes should have mentioned Yarmouth too. The interesting tests are on electric power though, with all the additional results that need to be analysed there.

Currently 'pan up' tests, but on diesel power only

chubs

Why not just use the 90's and mk3's for the first Ni90 diagrams?

Then you get the buffets and the intercity experience too.

Seems odd to run the bimodes on it when they're badly needed on the routes they were bought for....

dk1

Veteran Member
Why not just use the 90's and mk3's for the first Ni90 diagrams?

Then you get the buffets and the intercity experience too.

Seems odd to run the bimodes on it when they're badly needed on the routes they were bought for....
There will not be any 90/DVT sets available. They will be covering all their usual diagrams as now albeit a few minutes behind the 90min services.

LAX54

Established Member
There will not be any 90/DVT sets available. They will be covering all their usual diagrams as now albeit a few minutes behind the 90min services.
Indeed the standard IC DVT service, is 3 mins behind, leaving Norwich.

eastdyke

Established Member
So the "Norwich Cannonball" is just a publicity stunt pending the new timetable after full delivery of new stock?
Not a stunt, a franchise committment which satisfies a politically orchestrated campaign.
'Ni90' is not so much about actual passengers but more about Developers, Estate Agents and Authorities being able to market Norwich as within 90 minutes of the capital. The fact that many of the developments are another 45 minutes or so journey away from the station matters not a jot. Local people with local jobs will find out that housing becomes increasingly less affordable. :'(
When I lived and worked in Norwich part of the attraction was that it was not quite so accessible as some other places ....

Those promoting Norwich in 90 had no need to know how railways work and how difficult the result is to achieve. The DfT has been complicit in a campaign that does not benefit the majority. Job done. :'(

Alfie1014

Not a stunt, a franchise committment which satisfies a politically orchestrated campaign.
'Ni90' is not so much about actual passengers but more about Developers, Estate Agents and Authorities being able to market Norwich as within 90 minutes of the capital. The fact that many of the developments are another 45 minutes or so journey away from the station matters not a jot. Local people with local jobs will find out that housing becomes increasingly less affordable. :'(
When I lived and worked in Norwich part of the attraction was that it was not quite so accessible as some other places ....

Those promoting Norwich in 90 had no need to know how railways work and how difficult the result is to achieve. The DfT has been complicit in a campaign that does not benefit the majority. Job done. :'(

Indeed, once the users, stakeholders and MPs in Central and North Essex realise that many of their current journeys home from work are going to take longer from May so that a few can get to Ipswich and Norwich quicker they’re not going to be happy, especially as when they realise it’s a ‘fait accompli’!

Does anybody know if there is any more units at Dollands Moor for delivery tonight/tomorrow morning?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Is there a date for the first 745 in the UK yet? I'm assuming I haven't missed it, not that I plan on watching it come in, just for some context about how far behind the 755 introduction the first 745s are likely to be in service.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is there a date for the first 745 in the UK yet? I'm assuming I haven't missed it, not that I plan on watching it come in, just for some context about how far behind the 755 introduction the first 745s are likely to be in service.
First 745 (Airport) is due next month.