• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

MikePJ

I notice during some of those testing videos that both the pantograph is up and the engines are operating. I wonder what the significance of that is?
I presume they are testing the mechanical interface between the pantograph and overhead line without drawing any current. This allows the separation of mechanical and electrical compatibility tests, giving more flexibility in testing as they don’t need to worry about electromagnetic interference to the signalling.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Sometimes 2-3 times per week but generally follows the 15:30 up. It may be this hour that needs a service removed. Not sure whether it can be retimed to run later at night or if it's constrained by the terminal. It carries highly flammable liquid gas.

Doesn't really matter what time they run...they will nearly always delay something. Lucky if you pull 25mph climbing out of Norwich and don't reach 60mph untill about Flordon.

dk1

Veteran Member
Doesn't really matter what time they run...they will nearly always delay something. Lucky if you pull 25mph climbing out of Norwich and don't reach 60mph untill about Flordon.
It's always good to see a 66 working so hard. We seem to Cross around Lakenham viaduct.

dk1

Veteran Member
I notice during some of those testing videos that both the pantograph is up and the engines are operating. I wonder what the significance of that is?
Only running on diesel power at this stage. Pantograph testing in progress not least for on the move transition between both modes.

SPADTrap

Established Member
These trains look really good, I hope the industry realises its time to buy Swiss and ditch Bombardier!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
These trains look really good, I hope the industry realises its time to buy Swiss and ditch Bombardier!

Hopefully the competition will give Bombardier a kick up the backside.

However, one thing that should be mandatory for all new orders with immediate effect is low-floor and a gap bridger. Both of those are only presently offered by Stadler in the UK, but are pretty usual in mainland Europe. The benefits to both PTI safety and accessibility are massive. Why, for instance, should wheelchair users have to go through the degrading experience of having to have assistance when the technology exists to give them unfettered access on the same basis as everyone else? Not to mention that, like lifts etc, it also makes life easier for those with luggage and small children.

class387

Established Member
Hopefully the competition will give Bombardier a kick up the backside.

However, one thing that should be mandatory for all new orders with immediate effect is low-floor and a gap bridger. Both of those are only presently offered by Stadler in the UK, but are pretty usual in mainland Europe. The benefits to both PTI safety and accessibility are massive. Why, for instance, should wheelchair users have to go through the degrading experience of having to have assistance when the technology exists to give them unfettered access on the same basis as everyone else? Not to mention that, like lifts etc, it also makes life easier for those with luggage and small children.
Agreed. Though quite a lot of Harrington Humps would have to be put in as platforms are at different heights throughout the UK.

Established Member
Lets hope not, they look awful.

Sound basis for a business decision there ;)

The bi-mode flirts will make the Anglia rural lines the envy of many operators once they are all introduced, but that is not where the income lies, however more popular they prove to be. It is the EMUs that will be the bread winners on Stansted and Norwich services, and these are the trains that must be reliable as there is little spare availability in that fleet.

AlexNL

Established Member
I personally really like the front of the FLIRT UK range, it looks really slick and modern. The Aventra looks a bit dull in comparison. But taste is personal ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. Though quite a lot of Harrington Humps would have to be put in as platforms are at different heights throughout the UK.

True, but you've got to start somewhere, and having all the stock low-floor compatible at UK standard height would allow a project to take place over time to make specific lines fully accessible by providing said humps.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't remember people complaining about the Eurostars for having them. Sounds like a bit of a nitpick to me. Despite my original reservations, the 745/755s seem to be about the most passenger-oriented stock to be introduced in the UK for many years.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Sound basis for a business decision there ;)

The bi-mode flirts will make the Anglia rural lines the envy of many operators once they are all introduced, but that is not where the income lies, however more popular they prove to be. It is the EMUs that will be the bread winners on Stansted and Norwich services, and these are the trains that must be reliable as there is little spare availability in that fleet.

Well the main income is actually from the GE stations like Chelmsford and Shenfield which are the stations Anglia intercity types hate stopping at. GE has and always will be the most used parts of the network. Anglia areas will never match the passenger numbers of GE.

Established Member
Well the main income is actually from the GE stations like Chelmsford and Shenfield which are the stations Anglia intercity types hate stopping at. GE has and always will be the most used parts of the network. Anglia areas will never match the passenger numbers of GE.

Absolutely, add in Billericay, Wickford, Rayleigh and Colchester too. I was simply keeping the discussion to the routes the Stadler fleet will work. A 15 minute off peak Southend service would be far more useful than the odd Norwich 90 path, but we’ll have to wait for that it seems.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Absolutely, add in Billericay, Wickford, Rayleigh and Colchester too. I was simply keeping the discussion to the routes the Stadler fleet will work. A 15 minute off peak Southend service would be far more useful than the odd Norwich 90 path, but we’ll have to wait for that it seems.

Indeed. I would actually go to an hourly service to Norwich. Then use the extra paths to serve the GE stations more frequently and make the other Norwich a connection at Ipswich. Far better use of paths.

dk1

Veteran Member
If I recall correctly prior to the joined up thinking of 2004 Anglia carried 19m passengers compared to GEs 47m. Average distance travelled however was far higher with Anglia of course.