• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Wivenswold

Established Member
I must be a traditionalist as I'm smiling 8-)
Mid-range traditionalist maybe. Real duffers like me see yellow ends as being a hideous new fangled thing from the swinging and slightly too loud 1960s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dp21

The 40 or so first Flirt trains delivered to Norway came from Switzerland. The ones currently being delivered are built in Poland.

The 12 cars are being built in Switzerland however the 3- and 4-car units will be built in Hungary, Poland and Valencia.

The first unit's bodyshells have been completed, painted and are presently in Bussnang for fit-out. Should see the first one out for testing in a couple of months.

dp21

A 12-car, I assume?

Strangely enough no, a BMU (not sure if its a 3 or 4). I think they've got it in-house for training and ensuring they get it right before they do the rest of the fitment elsewhere. First in Class and whatnot. I can double check though.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Exciting stuff, I look forward to seeing that out and about, but I'm a little dismayed by the yellow end situation. Of course safety takes precedence over aesthetics, but what's so different about this area that doesn't affect anywhere else that are moving to remove the yellow panel? I thought the Stadler unit mockups looked quite smart and I think a yellow front will spoil it. Unfortunately the front of the final version of the Aventra is pretty ugly in my opinion, certainly by comparison.

dp21

Exciting stuff, I look forward to seeing that out and about, but I'm a little dismayed by the yellow end situation. Of course safety takes precedence over aesthetics, but what's so different about this area that doesn't affect anywhere else that are moving to remove the yellow panel? I thought the Stadler unit mockups looked quite smart and I think a yellow front will spoil it. Unfortunately the front of the final version of the Aventra is pretty ugly in my opinion, certainly by comparison.

I believe it's to do with the ability to complete the appropriate risk assessments - they seem to be struggling with the number of level crossings, particularly the low visibility at a number of them. I'm still not convinced by it but unfortunately I'm not in charge of the decision!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Donning my cynical hat I rather suspect it's that someone on high prefers the yellow panels, but who knows :P

Why the risk assessment issue has only come up now doesn't really make a lot of sense

dp21

Ironically the top team want them to be black not yellow.

Why the issue has just arisen who knows but the most recent thinking I was made aware of was that building them with yellow fronts means there won't be any problems if any of the appropriate work isnt fulfilled whereas with black fronts from build you wouldn't be allowed to run.

If that makes sense?

It's just the small panel at the end of the nose (with the "V" shape at the top) which would be yellow if anyone is any good at photoshop.

We'll see what actually comes to be. Their minds may have been changed again.

Domh245

Established Member
It's just the small panel at the end of the nose (with the "V" shape at the top) which would be yellow if anyone is any good at photoshop.

Like this?

s9zdA11.png

I did it with just the black panel on the front repainted, leaving the red band underneath, but it looked odd to my eye. It looks more like the original render in this way as well, going down to the opening around the coupler.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Oh I see, I assumed it'd need an entirely yellow front in that section, that may not be so bad.

The reasoning entirely makes sense. It'd be a big egg-on-face moment if the trains were technically ready but couldn't operate because they'd be the wrong colour!

dp21

Like this?

I did it with just the black panel on the front repainted, leaving the red band underneath, but it looked odd to my eye. It looks more like the original render in this way as well, going down to the opening around the coupler.

Very good! Exactly like that. I've seen an official render which looked just like that but wasn't sure if I could share but the wonders of photoshop prevail :)

TheEdge

Established Member
I believe it's to do with the ability to complete the appropriate risk assessments - they seem to be struggling with the number of level crossings, particularly the low visibility at a number of them. I'm still not convinced by it but unfortunately I'm not in charge of the decision!

The East Suffolk line has a fair few local instructions related to the quantity and quality of its crossings, even down to a train cannot run, even ECS, without internal lights on. I would suspect it would be related to that.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
First pictures of the 755s under assembly at Bussnang:
www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/stadler-multiple-units-for-greater-anglia-under-construction.html
The bodyshells are apparently constructed in Hungary.

The bodyshells for the first of the Class 755 Flirt electro-diesel multiple-units which Stadler is to supply for Greater Anglia's local services have been delivered from the manufacturer's Szolnok factory in Hungary to the Bussnang plant in Switzerland where they will be fitted out.

Last edited:

dp21

First pictures of the 755s under assembly at Bussnang:
www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/stadler-multiple-units-for-greater-anglia-under-construction.html
The bodyshells are apparently constructed in Hungary.

They are indeed but only for 755s; bodyshells in Hungary, Powerpack fit out in Valencia, part of me remembers a mention of the unit being married together in Poland however I'll need to check that. Only the first few are being done in Bussnang. 745s are to be completely built in Bussnang.

DenmarkRail

Looks like the overly health and safety guys have got their hands on these lovely trains, and put a yellow end on them! Europe lasted for years without this stupid regulation, so why should we worry?! Pointless, and over kill!

D365

Veteran Member
Looks like the overly health and safety guys have got their hands on these lovely trains, and put a yellow end on them! Europe lasted for years without this stupid regulation, so why should we worry?! Pointless, and over kill!

We've heard this argument from you too many times. Let it go.

Domh245

Established Member
Not to mention that we haven't actually seen if they will be yellow fronted or not...

Wivenswold

Established Member
The artists impressions on that link go back to the original article in Railway Gazette in 2016. A lot of design changes have taken place since then on all three types shown. As our friend at Norwich Depot has confirmed in another thread on the main Anglia Stock thread, the yellow or no yellow debate for the class 745/755s is ongoing at GA HQ.

dp21

They're V8 diesels and I believe the manufacturer is Deutz.

trebor79

Established Member
As a long time lurked, first time poster here I'm really looking forward to these appearing.

I have always detested DMUs with engines thumping away under the floor. Some of the 170s GA have are terrifically noisy to travel in.

Several years ago I travelled to Algericas on a similar bimode design from CAF and you could barely hear or feel the engines.

The interior design looks interesting too. Am I right in thinking there's a sort of vestibule in the middle of the carriage but no doors at the ends?

I'm not convinced they'll match the MK3 stuff Norwich to London, but will really transform the rural serviced for the better.

One thing I do find odd is that 10 sets are being procured to replace 15 LHCS sets. I can't see how that fits the service pattern unless they intend to use some of the Stansted stock on some Norwich services?

dk1

Veteran Member
I have always detested DMUs with engines thumping away under the floor. Some of the 170s GA have are terrifically noisy to travel in.

One thing I do find odd is that 10 sets are being procured to replace 15 LHCS sets. I can't see how that fits the service pattern unless they intend to use some of the Stansted stock on some Norwich services?

There are not 15 LHCS sets on Anglia. It's 15 class 90s. There are 12 sets & one is always under maintenance & another only does an up & back peak working.

The Stansted units will only work an additional peak service on the Norwich route to work back on a fortnightly basis for big exams at Crown Point. There will not be sufficient to cover others and they do not offer first class or buffet facilities.

Class 170s 'thumping away under the floor'? They are far quieter & smoother than the rest of the DMU fleet.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Under normal circumstances, the Stansted trains will all be in use on the Stansted services- they currently use modern reliable stock on that service, until the Lee Valley goes four track there's no journey time improvements there and the service uses 9 trains (currently each 2x4car 379) plus a spare.

On the Norwich service, they believe that more reliable fleet and journey time improvements mean they can have a smaller fleet.

trebor79

Established Member
Ah thanks for the clarification on the LHCS numbers. Still 10 sets to replace 12 means they are going to have to find some significant journey time improvements as there's effectively no spare, so no way to do planned maintenance.
If 1 of 12 current sets of hauled stock is always under maintenance, I can't see how there can be less than 1 of 10 of the new trains under maintenance given they will have traction equipment etc to maintain in addition to whatever else get a done.

I wonder if they might keep a few 90s and a couple of rakes of MK3 stock? Maybe just for the first couple of years to ensure the assumptions on availability and journey time improvements work out?

And yes I find 170s unpleasant , might just be my ears but I really dislike what I perceive as a resonant droning. Just find it distracting and tiresome.

dp21

As a long time lurked, first time poster here I'm really looking forward to these appearing.

Several years ago I travelled to Algericas on a similar bimode design from CAF and you could barely hear or feel the engines.

The interior design looks interesting too. Am I right in thinking there's a sort of vestibule in the middle of the carriage but no doors at the ends?

I'm not convinced they'll match the MK3 stuff Norwich to London, but will really transform the rural serviced for the better.

My understanding is that the 720s will provide an additional journey to Norwich every hour. This may well have been changed. Regardless, I agree with trebor79 in that the bi-modes will provide a huge step change in the rural service.

ironstone11

They are indeed but only for 755s; bodyshells in Hungary, Powerpack fit out in Valencia, part of me remembers a mention of the unit being married together in Poland however I'll need to check that. Only the first few are being done in Bussnang. 745s are to be completely built in Bussnang.

I have heard that the weight / axle load on the 755 exceeds the maximum allowed on the Marks Tey to Sudbury line. Can anyone confirm or deny this statement.

Also the platform lengths at Marks Tey and Sudbury are each about 50m long. The length of the 755 surely exceeds this by a considerable amount. Does anyone know of any NR plans to lengthen these platforms?