• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
I don't think the old trains are all that bad. Perhaps due a refurb if they were to remain in service.
I think the 755s will be a very positive transformation on the rural lines. I'm less convinced that the 745s on the Norwich London route will be as good but I will reserve judgement until I've tried them. For one thing, there's no vestibules, so the saloon is going to be flooded with hot/cold air at every stop. I think that's a retrograde step for an inter city service. But perhaps it won't turn out to be such a problem in practice.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
They are short vehicles and wide doors.

There is one but I don't know the precise position of it. Probably between 1st and standard, as that's where it normally is.
They aren't that short. The 745 intermediate cars are a lot longer than the Bi-mode 755 ones...

Dave1987

On Moderation
There wont be any droplights to leave open because it isn't the 1970's anymore. Hopefully no faulty vestibule doors either, and if there is presumably a good chance of them actually being fixed with service contracts.

Much like then the Pendolino's came along and relegated this junk to us, massive improvements are coming. Everyone I know who travels on the line cant wait for the new trains, one who isn't an enthusiast was very excited to see one doing test runs as it meant the end for the old crap.

There aren't any vestibule doors on the Stadlers. They are essentially exactly the same as the Bombardier stock except with 2+2 seating and one door per coach. They all have wide gangways between coaches with no doors at all between the coaches.

LAX54

Established Member
They aren't that short. The 745 intermediate cars are a lot longer than the Bi-mode 755 ones...

The 755/4's are 80.7m ( a 321 is 80.6... 156 46.6m... 170 3 car 68,8 ) A 745 is 236.4m (Hauled set 224.8m with 9 set)

LAX54

Established Member
There wont be any droplights to leave open because it isn't the 1970's anymore. Hopefully no faulty vestibule doors either, and if there is presumably a good chance of them actually being fixed with service contracts.

Much like then the Pendolino's came along and relegated this junk to us, massive improvements are coming. Everyone I know who travels on the line cant wait for the new trains, one who isn't an enthusiast was very excited to see one doing test runs as it meant the end for the old crap.

Not sure they were 'crap' when Anglia first had them, and neither are they now, you only have to stand at a station and see how many let a 'unit' come and go, and wait for the IC service !

Think the 745 is stopped at the moment, with faults.

hwl

Established Member
The 755/4's are 80.7m ( a 321 is 80.6... 156 46.6m... 170 3 car 68,8 ) A 745 is 236.4m (Hauled set 224.8m with 9 set)
The intermediate passenger car length on the Bi-modes is 15.7m but 19.34m on the EMUs so 3.64m difference. While the Bi-mode intermediate cars might be very short but the EMUs are very similar to existing 20m EMUs but with one one set of doors.

LAX54

Established Member
The intermediate passenger car length on the Bi-modes is 15.7m but 19.34m on the EMUs so 3.64m difference. While the Bi-mode intermediate cars might be very short but the EMUs are very similar to existing 20m EMUs but with one one set of doors.

But I general day to day operation, the car length will not be important, it is the overall length of the train that is the ruling factor :)

hwl

Established Member
But I general day to day operation, the car length will not be important, it is the overall length of the train that is the ruling factor :)
The comparative lack of doors will be an issue with dwell times a certain stations.

chubs

Not sure they were 'crap' when Anglia first had them, and neither are they now, you only have to stand at a station and see how many let a 'unit' come and go, and wait for the IC service !

Think the 745 is stopped at the moment, with faults.

They were hilariously crap when Anglia first had them, but the mk2's were so knackered they seemed an improvement. They ran in virgin livery and interior - ran being an optimistic word as they usually seemed to develop a fault and then go out of service. The first refurb was an improvement but they were still clearly ancient trains.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The National Express refresh was awful, barely anything changed, the GA was much better even if it wasn't amazing at least it replaced lighting, fixed the air-con, replaced panelling and added plugs.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Well it’s all pretty irrelevant now as all the stock will be EMU’s with wide gangway connections in future. Love or hate them the hauled sets are going.

Wivenswold

Established Member
The comparative lack of doors will be an issue with dwell times a certain stations.

The dwell times with the IC 745s will be less than with the Mk3s at the moment. Take a standard 9 car rake, that's 18 single file doors. The 745 has 12 double doors spread over a greater distance so 24 people can board simultaneously v 18 on the Loco-hauled sets. And at stations like Colchester the ability for passengers to board and alight at the same time will reduce the queues on the platform and down the cars. Add a commuter who's helpfully left a door open then the 745 will have left the traditional train behind in our comparison.

I think we identified here or on another thread that it's only when 745s replace 379s at peak times where there could be issues, though WA will in theory have more seats spread over their services as the 10 car, 1,100 seat 720/1s are planned to be used on WA commuter trains as well as GEML/Southend Vic ones.

dk1

Veteran Member
The dwell times with the IC 745s will be less than with the Mk3s at the moment. Take a standard 9 car rake, that's 18 single file doors. The 745 has 12 double doors spread over a greater distance so 24 people can board simultaneously v 18 on the Loco-hauled sets. And at stations like Colchester the ability for passengers to board and alight at the same time will reduce the queues on the platform and down the cars. Add a commuter who's helpfully left a door open then the 745 will have left the traditional train behind in our comparison.

I think we identified here or on another thread that it's only when 745s replace 379s at peak times where there could be issues, though WA will in theory have more seats spread over their services as the 10 car, 1,100 seat 720/1s are planned to be used on WA commuter trains as well as GEML/Southend Vic ones.
Good to hear sensible response after so much debate & you are correct, only the WA side that may suffer in any way.

hwl

Established Member

I was thinking more of vs 379s at Tottenham Hale for the worst dwell time issues. The tip up seats in the 720s are a good idea for Tottenham Hale dwell times either.

Railperf

Established Member
I was thinking more of vs 379s at Tottenham Hale for the worst dwell time issues. The tip up seats in the 720s are a good idea for Tottenham Hale dwell times either.
The dwell times at Tottenham Hale aren't helped by a narrow platform and hundreds of passengers walking the full width of the platform to the exit stairs by the front of the train. It seems drivers wait for the crowds to dissipate before moving on to reduce the risk of someone getting caught walking too close the train and getting dragged under it!! The additional stairway and exit will help once it is finished.

Greg Read

They were hilariously crap when Anglia first had them, but the mk2's were so knackered they seemed an improvement. They ran in virgin livery and interior - ran being an optimistic word as they usually seemed to develop a fault and then go out of service. The first refurb was an improvement but they were still clearly ancient trains.

You seem very anti 'old' stock ! think there were more loco issues that coach issues, and as for livery, who cares what colour it is ? Went on a Hauled set the other day, comfy, quiet, bright, and table & window :)

chubs

You seem very anti 'old' stock ! think there were more loco issues that coach issues, and as for livery, who cares what colour it is ? Went on a Hauled set the other day, comfy, quiet, bright, and table & window :)

It cant keep going forever just to please some enthusiasts. Have to disagree about comfy too. Not long now and they will be history!

38Cto15E

What is the latest news when the Wherry Lines short set will be finishing? I am looking at coming to Norfolk on the 14th/15th may. TIA

dk1

Veteran Member
What is the latest news when the Wherry Lines short set will be finishing? I am looking at coming to Norfolk on the 14th/15th may. TIA
You'll be fine then mate. Was the summer timetable the following week but as expected nothing is going to plan.

LAX54

Established Member
It cant keep going forever just to please some enthusiasts. Have to disagree about comfy too. Not long now and they will be history!

Indeed, and of course time will tell, but it maybe a bit like 'The King's New Clothes' :)

38Cto15E

You'll be fine then mate. Was the summer timetable the following week but as expected nothing is going to plan.
Thanks dk1, I'll make the most of the 37's while I can, the scenery is pretty good as well. :)
For any BM's travelling from afar and want accommodation I have found the Homelea and Kingsleigh guesthouses in Lowestoft good value for money, they will also cook you an early breakfast so you can catch the 0747.

Railperf

Established Member
The Mark III loco hauled coaches are quite comfy even if the interior looks very dated.
As for the Mk 2 coaches on the class 37 push pull set, I have to agree that standing in the vestibule was not very comfy and even a bit drafty but the sound of that V12 engine was glorious:E

trebor79

Established Member
Not sure those particular units are on their way just yet. Appears to be no interior fitted yet, and I'm pretty sure the coupler was missing from the rear unit. Also no numbers etc visible.

trebor79

Established Member
Current plans for next week, or so we are advised:
24th and 25th The 755 Norwich to Cambridge ASDO tests
26th and 27th The 755 Norwich to Lowestoft ASDO tests
24th to 27th The 745 Norwich to Colchester / Ipswich Running Dynamics tests.

Looks like the 745 did some runs but not the 755 (only checked 24th though)

LAX54

Established Member
The Nin90 service: At Ipswich it says 'doors close 60 seconds before train departure', to ensure an on time get away, the NiN90 arrives at 0933 and departs at 0933 (although WTT is 0932-0933), so how's that going to work then ? :)

On Moderation
The Nin90 service: At Ipswich it says 'doors close 60 seconds before train departure', to ensure an on time get away, the NiN90 arrives at 0933 and departs at 0933 (although WTT is 0932-0933), so how's that going to work then ? :)
Don’t open the doors?