• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Online Assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc5203

I’m a bobby too and have 15 years in, and have done all the assessments including the MMI and just waiting for the DMI interview.

Be warned, I’ve found the whole process fairly daunting and hardee I feel than when I applied for the police.

That said, the Police is on its knees and I can’t see it getting any bettter hence the want to join as a trainee driver. I’ve not seen one post from anyone, Police or other, who has said it’s a bad move.

Good luck to everyone and if there’s any advice you need, I’ll do my best to answer it for you but there is a wealth of info on this site if not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

abacus614

I’m a bobby too and have 15 years in, and have done all the assessments including the MMI and just waiting for the DMI interview.

Be warned, I’ve found the whole process fairly daunting and hardee I feel than when I applied for the police.

That said, the Police is on its knees and I can’t see it getting any bettter hence the want to join as a trainee driver. I’ve not seen one post from anyone, Police or other, who has said it’s a bad move.

Good luck to everyone and if there’s any advice you need, I’ll do my best to answer it for you but there is a wealth of info on this site if not.

I think at he moment the question on everyone's lips is when are we likely to received notification on the results for our online assessment?

As someone who's well into the process, it would be appreciated if you could enlighten us all on your experience so far and likely timescales we are likely to be facing.

Marc5203

Okay, so I first did my online assessment on 8th May last year and had the reply that I’d met the standard on 15th May.

It then took a while whilst they did the application sift. The next email I received was 14th November telling me that if passed the soft.

I had my first OPC stage 1 assessment on 17th December and my stage 2 in Watford on 15th Feb this year (although it was a week later then originally offered due to personal circumstances).

Hope that answers something....

Slinky252

It seems to be trending that emergency services are making moves to train driving. A few of my friends have already joined and I’m making the move now, hence why this is my first application into becoming a trainee train driver with WMT. I’ve done 20 years and fed up with the lack of a pay rise and politics. The Fire Service is fast becoming a less favourable career. And they are lucky at the moment so many want to do it. I think that will change with time. Good luck to all of you.

hey_you

First post... add me to the list of Police in this group. I'm not surpised to see so many emergency services applying for this role. I know of someone who left the Police recently become a driver and he absolutely loves it. Good luck everyone!

Daydr3am3r

It really is sad the amount of police officers and other emergency services on here. It is sad that such proud roles have been pushed and torn to shreds.

Anyway back to thread, fingers crossed for you all that are waiting for the online assessment results

Slinky252

Hi guys, well hopefully I’m not first of many but I failed the sjt. I have to be honest though it’s the first one I have ever done. And in any online practice tests I have got them all right.im pretty much gobsmacked lol, and due to working in the fire service and, previous to that a 10 year customer service background in retail. I think I’m pretty advanced in safety and customer service and following guidelines. So I am amazed I failed this. I look back at the questions I had and I can honestly say I would pretty much say the same again. They say in email there is no feedback at this stage. I would love some but I don’t think I should email the recruitment team ?

TTD85

Hi guys, well hopefully I’m not first of many but I failed the sjt. I have to be honest though it’s the first one I have ever done. And in any online practice tests I have got them all right.im pretty much gobsmacked lol, and due to working in the fire service and, previous to that a 10 year customer service background in retail. I think I’m pretty advanced in safety and customer service and following guidelines. So I am amazed I failed this. I look back at the questions I had and I can honestly say I would pretty much say the same again. They say in email there is no feedback at this stage. I would love some but I don’t think I should email the recruitment team ?
When did you find out? I’ve not heard either way as yet

TTD85

When did you find out? I’ve not heard either way as yet
And sorry to hear, I must add!

Slinky252

And sorry to hear, I must add!
I suppose no news is good news mate, so good luck with your application. I would love to know what others put if they are successful so i can form some sort of feedback. Because at the mo I’m sort of at a loss as to why I failed. Maybe an easy explanation.

Eddie9372

Slinky252 I'm in the fire service. The test is all about customer service and safety, So not sure why or how you have gone wrong.

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry to hear this. If it’s any consolation, I took a few of these tests with SWR before they moved to the FirstGroup portal and kept failing. With First’s I passed first time on similar tests for a few jobs. I think it’s how a lot of TOCs score these tests that is the problem sometimes, especially since on a lot of them the possible answers are so similar and none are what I’d describe as ‘silly’ options.

On a plus side, you can have as many goes at these as you need to pass so keep chipping away. Good luck!

Slinky252

Slinky252 I'm in the fire service. The test is all about customer service and safety, So not sure why or how you have gone wrong.
Yeah mate I heard straight away about my failure and my computer played up on application. So I don’t know was it recorded right. I am scratching my head mate to be honest and with my background I can’t see how I have failed is it worth an email ?

Slinky252

Sorry to hear this. If it’s any consolation, I took a few of these tests with SWR before they moved to the FirstGroup portal and kept failing. With First’s I passed first time on similar tests for a few jobs. I think it’s how a lot of TOCs score these tests that is the problem sometimes, especially since on a lot of them the possible answers are so similar and none are what I’d describe as ‘silly’ options.

On a plus side, you can have as many goes at these as you need to pass so keep chipping away. Good luck!
Thanks for your support mate. I gotta admit I am bamboozled and I have no idea how I’ve failed. I know for a fact I have got the safety ones correct and the customer service ones I’m confident on. I am at a loss really mate what they are after !!!

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for your support mate. I gotta admit I am bamboozled and I have no idea how I’ve failed. I know for a fact I have got the safety ones correct and the customer service ones I’m confident on. I am at a loss really mate what they are after !!!
When I failed a couple of SJTs I was getting to the point where my answers were the seemingly less obvious ones which didn't feel right and I'd certainly never ordinarily select (the SJT SWR did was just 'give your most likely action'). I still don't know to the day what I was doing wrong and don't suppose I ever will since they've changed to FirstGroup.

I'm not sure about Abelio's, but there are different types of SJT too; Some where you have to select what you would do in a certain situation, some where you have to rate your actions 1 to 4 (one being what you'd do, and four being what you's do as a lesser priory - Note there wasn't a "I've not do this in a month of Sundays" option....which there should be) and some where you just have to put the most likely, and the least likely action.

Arthurjack

Another officer here as well. Looking for GA to open recruitment. Good luck to all going through the process

Slinky252

When I failed a couple of SJTs I was getting to the point where my answers were the seemingly less obvious ones which didn't feel right and I'd certainly never ordinarily select (the SJT SWR did was just 'give your most likely action'). I still don't know to the day what I was doing wrong and don't suppose I ever will since they've changed to FirstGroup.

I'm not sure about Abelio's, but there are different types of SJT too; Some where you have to select what you would do in a certain situation, some where you have to rate your actions 1 to 4 (one being what you'd do, and four being what you's do as a lesser priory - Note there wasn't a "I've not do this in a month of Sundays" option....which there should be) and some where you just have to put the most likely, and the least likely action.
Yeah thanks mate, I think looking at my answers I’m still a bit confused but like somebody said on here, I can have as many goes at this as I want. So I’ll just keep on the look out again, but don’t imagine West Midlands will recruit for another year now. Oh well it’s life I suppose. Gotta get better at sjt tears !!!

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah thanks mate, I think looking at my answers I’m still a bit confused but like somebody said on here, I can have as many goes at this as I want. So I’ll just keep on the look out again, but don’t imagine West Midlands will recruit for another year now. Oh well it’s life I suppose. Gotta get better at sjt tears !!!
You say you’re looking at your answers? Is there the facility to see what you answered? There wasn’t with mine, but I took to logging (screenshot) the answers I selected after the second attempt, so I knew to answer differently in future. Recruitment weren’t forthcoming at all, and only told me my application wasn’t being progressed further due to these results when I pressed them (the SJT was only 10 questions at the end of the application form).

abacus614

Slinky252 I can only sympathise my friend and I have my fingers crossed for you for next time. When and how did you come to hear of your results?

hey_you

Sorry to hear this Slinky252. They say there are no real right or wrong answers when it comes to SJT's. The answers are based on what the train service provider considers to be the ideal response in a given situation. I'm not entirely convinced the test filters the right candidates for the job as it's based on a made up scenario with a fixed selection of answers with no way of adding justification to your choice. I know they have to slash the number of applicants but feel the test is unfair for people like you who quite clearly have a lot of relevant experience. Don't give up and when the opportunity comes around go for it again.

Slinky252

Sorry to hear this Slinky252. They say there are no real right or wrong answers when it comes to SJT's. The answers are based on what the train service provider considers to be the ideal response in a given situation. I'm not entirely convinced the test filters the right candidates for the job as it's based on a made up scenario with a fixed selection of answers with no way of adding justification to your choice. I know they have to slash the number of applicants but feel the test is unfair for people like you who quite clearly have a lot of relevant experience. Don't give up and when the opportunity comes around go for it again.
Thank you, I am defo going to go again. Looking at the answers and really thinking about it I think I’ve slipped up on two answers neither linked to customer service and rules and guidelines. So I think I know where I went wrong and I actually feel better about it. Knowing this is where I messed up possibly I think I defo know what they are after. So next time a bit of fine tining I reckon I’ll do this next time shame I’ve only just realised !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.