• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
However with LM when it came to the travelling itself, it was nearly all short trains in the off peak. I'd rather an operator who's going to get the train operation itself right above all else. New longer trains, more room and cleaner environment. Win win. No point in a flashy image but no substance and crowded trains. 6 quid for 100 miles but being packed in doorways with your mates.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
However with LM when it came to the travelling itself, it was nearly all short trains in the off peak. I'd rather an operator who's going to get the train operation itself right above all else. New longer trains, more room and cleaner environment. Win win. No point in a flashy image but no substance and crowded trains. 6 quid for 100 miles but being packed in doorways with your mates.

LM got greedy, putting Advances on trains they knew would be overcrowded (basically all the Trent Valley services, for instance). There's no sign yet of WMT packing that in.

frodshamfella

Established Member
LNW are going to give us a better service from Acton Bridge when they get their new trains, so I'm looking forward to that.

setdown

Here’s a photo of the advert I mentioned earlier. Apologies for the potato quality, I was in a rush, but you get the general idea!
4416DFBD-0E04-4629-8AC2-F6B13A416DAC.jpeg

dorsetdesiro

Here’s a photo of the advert I mentioned earlier. Apologies for the potato quality, I was in a rush, but you get the general idea!
View attachment 45226

It doesn't look too bad also I do like the sleek look of the green background.

If I saw this from afar then I wouldn't have known this as a railway advert, it does look like it came from EE, O2 and Vodafone. I'm sure Asda has a mobile network that this could have come from them!

pt_mad

Established Member
LNW are going to give us a better service from Acton Bridge when they get their new trains, so I'm looking forward to that.

Yeah I should imagine Acton Bridge will gain a through London service. When the Liverpool Birmingham is merged with a Birmingham Northampton Euston. The downside being that it will be via Birmingham but still it's progress.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
View attachment 45226

That does look a lot better than the launch stuff which looks straight out of the 1970s and not in a good way. And not as horribly trite as bog snorkelling and candlestick making, for which someone really needs to be sacked.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"No smoking, vaping or candlestick making on platforms or trains"
"No smoking, vaping or bog snorkelling on platforms or trains"

Yes, seriously.

Unbelievably trite.

screenshot.45249.jpg

WMT poster as above

paddy1

Despite all the blurb, hype and promises, is disappointing (but not surprising) to see the new operator still running mainly four coach only trains off peak and weekends to/from Euston that are 'crammed to the the rafters' (and sidings full of idle rolling stock) in the same way that LM did throughout their franchise. To me it just seems LM re-branded all over again and more of the same and makes me wonder why they bothered. Most passengers aren't interested in the corporate vanity of wasting money on having new branding on rolling stock, station signage and furniture. They just want trains with plenty of seats where, if you board as a group, you don't have to go forlornly wandering up and down the train scratting around for the odd empty seat here and there and end up separated or standing up. Just get your rolling stock out of the sidings! And stop selling cheap advance seats for which no capacity to fulfill exists, as LM did!

frodshamfella

Established Member
Yeah I should imagine Acton Bridge will gain a through London service. When the Liverpool Birmingham is merged with a Birmingham Northampton Euston. The downside being that it will be via Birmingham but still it's progress.

A Sunday service too I was told by them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just noticed they can't even spell "bog snorkelling" (unless they are American). Spelling mistakes on publicity are just about the most unprofessional and sloppy thing imaginable. I understand the occasional spelling mistake on JourneyCheck and the PIS where people might be entering stuff in a hurry as the service falls to bits, but on printed publicity there can be no possible excuse for not proofing properly.

pt_mad

Established Member
Despite all the blurb, hype and promises, is disappointing (but not surprising) to see the new operator still running mainly four coach only trains off peak and weekends to/from Euston that are 'crammed to the the rafters' (and sidings full of idle rolling stock) in the same way that LM did throughout their franchise. To me it just seems LM re-branded all over again and more of the same and makes me wonder why they bothered. Most passengers aren't interested in the corporate vanity of wasting money on having new branding on rolling stock, station signage and furniture. They just want trains with plenty of seats where, if you board as a group, you don't have to go forlornly wandering up and down the train scratting around for the odd empty seat here and there and end up separated or standing up. Just get your rolling stock out of the sidings! And stop selling cheap advance seats for which no capacity to fulfill exists, as LM did!

Although nothing was going to be solved straight away. LM agreed the leases on the 350s and the agreements stand. And these charge the operator per mile for maintenance. A lot of writers say it was a bad deal for LM as far as the 350/2s go and provided an incentive for running short trains in the off peak and leaving stock in the sidings.

One would guess it's one of the reasons the 350/2s were not wanted long term by LNR. It's a marathon rather than a sprint it seems. If it doesn't make business sense to run long 350/2s due to being penalised maintenance wise then why would they?

Last edited:

dorsetdesiro

LNR are competing with VT on the WCML so they're aping them by trying to be hip and cool with "Virginspeak", but they're more likely to deal with disgruntled commuters than pretentious hipsters!

Just noticed they can't even spell "bog snorkelling" (unless they are American). Spelling mistakes on publicity are just about the most unprofessional and sloppy thing imaginable. I understand the occasional spelling mistake on JourneyCheck and the PIS where people might be entering stuff in a hurry as the service falls to bits, but on printed publicity there can be no possible excuse for not proofing properly.

As the new TOC can be just as bad or more inferior than their precedessor, as with SWR in my case, seems like we have this in common with yourself moaning about LNR/WMR same as me with SWR! ;)

It is a pity when a new or current TOC doesn't match up to the previous operator which unfortunately this is occurring more often. Hope the SE and Wales franchises will get better TOCs, probably not...

paddy1

Although nothing was going to be solved straight away. LM agreed the leases on the 350s and the agreements stand. And these charge the operator per mile for maintenance. A lot of writers say it was a bad deal for LM as far as the 350/2s go and provided an incentive for running short trains in the off peak and leaving stock in the sidings.

One would guess it's one of the reasons the 350/2s were not wanted long term by LNR. It's a marathon rather than a sprint it seems. If it doesn't make business sense to run long 350/2s due to being penalised maintenance wise then why would they?

I understand that LM were 'mugged off' by an arrangement that disincentivises the use of longer trains off peak but am surprised that a new operator is still tied into and bound by this and has not negotiated a more favourable deal.

It also grates to see lines of idle stock holed up in sidings when travelling in a crammed full and standing 4 car train off peak and know that it is neither necessary or unavoidable.

BucksBones

The 350/2 replacement can’t come soon enough; credit to Abellio for doing something about it. However I agree with Bletchleyite and others that the shoddy, half-baked marketing and the obsolete uniforms and liveries that haven’t been replaced as well as the many small details that have been badly executed (such as the fact that the on-train WiFi proudly welcomes you to the station WiFi) taken as a whole do not create a good impression.

Just noticed they can't even spell "bog snorkelling" (unless they are American). Spelling mistakes on publicity are just about the most unprofessional and sloppy thing imaginable.

Yes, that’s really poor.

Apologies for the potato quality, I was in a rush!

Well it is the end of the season. Never mind, Jersey Royals will be back soon!:D

PR1Berske

Established Member
I suspect they did spellcheck, the problem being they might have their settings put to "English (US)" rather than "UK"! When my phone tries to change -ise spellings to -ize, I always override the suggestion. If they don't override or know any better, the single-l is going to win over the double-ll every time!

BucksBones

I suspect they did spellcheck, the problem being they might have their settings put to "English (US)" rather than "UK"! When my phone tries to change -ise spellings to -ize, I always override the suggestion. If they don't override or know any better, the single-l is going to win over the double-ll every time!

Yes it’s the same on my phone but you’d think a large company like Abellio might be able to stretch to a human proofreader rather than relying on a bit of rubbish software! At least they got the word “humour” right.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Much as they would annoy those who do use the Advances, "our cheapest fares are all available on the day" would be quite a good marketing point to differentiate them from VT.
I myself would not be happy with this. Their current pricing strategy suits me well as a price-conscious traveller - I enjoy the mix of very cheap Advances (e.g. I can get a £6 advance to London for next week if I go at mid-day), plus very reasonable Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak prices. Their Anytimes aren't unreasonable given the existing demand (if anything, they could be higher).

It's VTWC's strategy that I am very disappointed in. It's very rare to get a cheap Advance, especially with the current timetable issues, yet their Off-Peaks are unbelievably restricted and the Anytimes ludicrously expensive. Makes them and the DfT a lot of money, sure, but it means they're carting around thin air for a lot of the actual Off-Peak times - when that capacity could just as well be used to reduce overcrowding and decrease journey times for those forced onto WMT by the pricing.

Also, the first morning and last evening services are far too late and early, respectively, for WMT - not very useful for days out!

pt_mad

Established Member
I myself would not be happy with this. Their current pricing strategy suits me well as a price-conscious traveller - I enjoy the mix of very cheap Advances (e.g. I can get a £6 advance to London for next week if I go at mid-day), plus very reasonable Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak prices. Their Anytimes aren't unreasonable given the existing demand (if anything, they could be higher).

It's VTWC's strategy that I am very disappointed in. It's very rare to get a cheap Advance, especially with the current timetable issues, yet their Off-Peaks are unbelievably restricted and the Anytimes ludicrously expensive. Makes them and the DfT a lot of money, sure, but it means they're carting around thin air for a lot of the actual Off-Peak times - when that capacity could just as well be used to reduce overcrowding and decrease journey times for those forced onto WMT by the pricing.

Also, the first morning and last evening services are far too late and early, respectively, for WMT - not very useful for days out!

Does £6 to London from the Midlands actually make sense though? Most of the Trent Valley services are full other than for standing. It must be a loss leader price. An honest price would probably be more sensible given that people do expect to sit to London, and that may not always be possible if the fare continues to be six pounds.

You could charge £2 and put an ad in the local rag and you'd have them queueing up on a Friday afternoon. But would you cram them all in the doors? Make it cheap enough and people are going to travel simply because it's unbelievably cheap and they can.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Does £6 to London from the Midlands actually make sense though? Most of the Trent Valley services are full other than for standing. It must be a loss leader price. An honest price would probably be more sensible given that people do expect to sit to London, and that may not always be possible if the fare continues to be six pounds.

You could charge £2 and put an ad in the local rag and you'd have them queueing up on a Friday afternoon. But would you cram them all in the doors? Make it cheap enough and people are going to travel simply because it's unbelievably cheap and they can.
On the tones I've travelled with those kinds of prices, the trains have been full enough that you have to sit next to someone, but not usually standing.

Class 170101

Established Member
The £6 to London is all Abellio's money and doesn't have to be shared with Virgin (and others) unlike the open fares.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The £6 to London is all Abellio's money and doesn't have to be shared with Virgin (and others) unlike the open fares.
I doubt WMT gets much at all from the "Any Permitted" fares, as they're so much slower than VTWC and have a lot less capacity (4 coaches usually vs 9/11 on VTWC). I mean, that kind of ORCATS distribution makes sense too - few people would willingly use WMT when they have an unrestricted ticket.

Class 170101

Established Member
Certainly from Birmingham they would also share with Chiltern. From The Trent Valley stations south of Stafford (excl) I'm not so sure as VT don't operate many trains to these stations.

Idon'tKnow

The annoying thing with the £6 to London fares is that they are not available from Trent Valley stations (£8 from Tamworth for Example) however bizarrely, they are available for people connecting from Blake Street at Lichfield Trent Valley for example. I'd like to see something similar to the Super Off Peak Midweek return tickets and restrict the cheapest tickets to going via Birmingham New Street (changing on to London Northwestern), as even with a small difference in price it would give people an incentive to travel on less busy services (most Trent Valley services are well loaded throughout the day). The situation will be different if we get all day 8+ carriage trains on the Trent Valley from Decemeber.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The annoying thing with the £6 to London fares is that they are not available from Trent Valley stations (£8 from Tamworth for Example) however bizarrely, they are available for people connecting from Blake Street at Lichfield Trent Valley for example. I'd like to see something similar to the Super Off Peak Midweek return tickets and restrict the cheapest tickets to going via Birmingham New Street (changing on to London Northwestern), as even with a small difference in price it would give people an incentive to travel on less busy services (most Trent Valley services are well loaded throughout the day). The situation will be different if we get all day 8+ carriage trains on the Trent Valley from Decemeber.
With, for the Lichfield CrossCity line, the boundary for the availability of that price of Advance being between Blake Street and Shenstone, I wonder whether it's got anything to do with subsidies from TfWM (previously known as Centro)? As Blake Street is the last station within the WMCA area.

Status
Not open for further replies.