• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon'tKnow

With, for the Lichfield CrossCity line, the boundary for the availability of that price of Advance being between Blake Street and Shenstone, I wonder whether it's got anything to do with subsidies from TfWM (previously known as Centro)? As Blake Street is the last station within the WMCA area.
That would make sense, but what doesn't make sense is that the £6 fares are available from Rugley Town but not Rugley Trent Valley (maybe some discount for having to change trains??!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The "West Midlands Trains Only" walk-ups are not shared with Virgin either. However, they can't use these where they are the flow-setting TOC.
Except for some flows, like MKC-London, where they are the flow-setting TOC but also have a permanent WMT-only ticket, due to an exemption agreed by the SoS (DfT). Usually such tickets are only allowed on a temporary basis (though this can be renewed frequently so as to make it almost permanent).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Except for some flows, like MKC-London, where they are the flow-setting TOC but also have a permanent WMT-only ticket, due to an exemption agreed by the SoS (DfT). Usually such tickets are only allowed on a temporary basis (though this can be renewed frequently so as to make it almost permanent).

This one exists because the flow ownership was previously the other way round (if you had a permanent fare you're allowed to keep it), and AIUI they have been told they won't be getting any more, which is why for example VT have a dedicated period return but WMT don't.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
This one exists because the flow ownership was previously the other way round (if you had a permanent fare you're allowed to keep it), and AIUI they have been told they won't be getting any more, which is why for example VT have a dedicated period return but WMT don't.

I've always wondered why on earth VTWC don't have a dedicated season ticket for MKC-EUS. On most other flows where they have dedicated single/return tickets they also offer a dedicated season ticket. It surely means a lot of extra hassle for those for whom it's cheaper to get day returns every day, depending on their frequency of commuting and any Railcards they have.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've always wondered why on earth VTWC don't have a dedicated season ticket for MKC-EUS. On most other flows where they have dedicated single/return tickets they also offer a dedicated season ticket. It surely means a lot of extra hassle for those for whom it's cheaper to get day returns every day, depending on their frequency of commuting and any Railcards they have.

They wouldn't sell very many because they have no northbound evening peak services to MKC and it might result in them being pressured to change that. The present arrangement suits them quite well - commuters board southbound at MKC and take any spare seats that are not already taken due to their swingeing Anytime fares and due to the trains involved being from around 0600-0715 which means very early and thus less popular departures from further away places. It also allows that capacity to take commuters off LNR and allow them to form slower trains of 12 coaches for those with no alternatives.

Northbound it'd work less well - commuters are quite skilled at knowing platform numbers, using RTT, knowing where to stand etc, and would take seats at the expense of those going further having to stand to MKC or possibly even preventing people from boarding - perhaps even worse those who may hold Advances and be unable to get on board, let alone to their seats.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
They wouldn't sell very many because they have no northbound evening peak services to MKC and it might result in them being pressured to change that. The present arrangement suits them quite well - commuters board southbound at MKC and take any spare seats that are not already taken due to their swingeing Anytime fares and due to the trains involved being from around 0600-0715 which means very early and thus less popular departures from further away places. It also allows that capacity to take commuters off LNR and allow them to form slower trains of 12 coaches for those with no alternatives.

Northbound it'd work less well - commuters are quite skilled at knowing platform numbers, using RTT, knowing where to stand etc, and would take seats at the expense of those going further having to stand to MKC or possibly even preventing people from boarding - perhaps even worse those who may hold Advances and be unable to get on board, let alone to their seats.
So who exactly are the VTWC-only day returns, or even the period return, designed for then?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So who exactly are the VTWC-only day returns, or even the period return, designed for then?

The same thing all Anytime tickets are designed for - occasional peak-time travellers such as business travellers on expenses (who increasingly have a policy that you must choose the cheapest option with the required level of flexibility). Not commuters, much as the BBC likes to think all rail travellers are commuters.

Idon'tKnow

https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/about-us/investing-improve
This new page appeared on the London Northwestern website very recently and it looks so unprofessional!

"The new station at Kenilworth is set to open in December 2017, with an hourly service between Leamington Spa and Coventry" Sounds like some copy and pasting has happened here.

On top of this I feel like they [London Northwestern] have no clear identity, they try and look classy one day and the next day they are really informal to the point that it makes them look childish! For example "Two morning and evening rush hour direct services will operate between Walsall and London from Dec 2018 – once again helping to unlock economic growth in the region" alongside things like "surfers and workers, rejoice!". No clear branding whatsoever :'(.
On the other hand the similar WMR one looks a lot better. https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/about-us/investing-improve

dorsetdesiro

WM Trains probably know that the average Joe Public likely wouldn't be aware of a WM franchise or it is divided into the LNR & WMR brands, so on the LNR website it says "the new London Northwestern franchise"...

Unless the WM franchise was quietly split up into two new franchises recently? ;)

JordyWM

WM Trains probably know that the average Joe Public likely wouldn't be aware of a WM franchise or it is divided into the LNR & WMR brands, so on the LNR website it says "the new London Northwestern franchise"...

Unless the WM franchise was quietly split up into two new franchises recently? ;)

Then they’re doing a pretty damn good job of hiding it. :lol:

On a side note, the modified LNR logo is spreading across it’s social media accounts online, so I’m hoping they’re going to revise the livery before, and if they ever get a second train repainted. :lol:

DJames

Then they’re doing a pretty damn good job of hiding it. :lol:

On a side note, the modified LNR logo is spreading across it’s social media accounts online, so I’m hoping they’re going to revise the livery before, and if they ever get a second train repainted. :lol:

Have you got a photo of the modified logo? I've checked their Facebook and Twitter and it all looks the same to me.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have you got a photo of the modified logo? I've checked their Facebook and Twitter and it all looks the same to me.

It's only very subtly different. A slightly tweaked font, and a change from:

LONDON
Northwestern
Railway

to:

LONDON
NORTHWESTERN
Railway

if you imagine the capitals being in one font colour and the mixed case in another rather than being actual capitals.

transmanche

Established Member
It's only very subtly different.

If it helps, this is the 'old' version:

290px-LondonNorthwestern.svg.png

and this is the 'new' version:

290px-LondonNorthwestern.svg.png

West_Midlands_Trains

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Seems a bit misleading as they don't have any new trains our stations at the moment.
Well, they will soon have new stations (Kenilworth for example), but I think the New Trains refers to the orders they've placed for the CrossCity line (Aventras I think). They'll be coming in 2020/2021, though I imagine they'll be subject to the usual train introduction delays and issues, so probably only properly and fully in service around 2022/2023 or so.

Domh245

Established Member
Well, they will soon have new stations (Kenilworth for example), but I think the New Trains refers to the orders they've placed for the CrossCity line (Aventras I think). They'll be coming in 2020/2021, though I imagine they'll be subject to the usual train introduction delays and issues, so probably only properly and fully in service around 2022/2023 or so.

They've got the Aventras to replace the 323s, but they're also ordering a load of DMUs to replace their entire diesel fleet, bar the 172s (of which they are also getting 8 from London Overground)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
They've got the Aventras to replace the 323s, but they're also ordering a load of DMUs to replace their entire diesel fleet, bar the 172s (of which they are also getting 8 from London Overground)
I feel somewhat sad at the 323s' possible homelessness. Their familiar sound is a childhood memory of mine!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If whichever ROSCO owns the /2s ends up stuck with them I will laugh, as the only reason it seems they did was that they are and were asking way too much for them.

Much as I'm sure the Aventras will be nice kit, if lease cost hadn't been an issue on the /2s I'd have just collected all the 20m OHLE Desiros together (the East Anglia ones will be spare, as will the HConn ones), given them a full refurb with new Grammer E3000 2+2 seats for those seated 3+2 and new 2+1 in 1st, converted them all to 110mph and had a homogeneous fleet (for LNR services) of what really are excellent regional express EMUs.

OK, you'd have had a few without gangways but that isn't disastrous for a commuter operation where there's time to walk down the platform where they split and join. And you could have concentrated some of them (e.g. the 5 car sets) on services that don't operate in multiple like the Liverpools.

Status
Not open for further replies.