• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member

Seems a bit misleading as they don't have any new trains our stations at the moment.

Well they are committed to these things. And the train orders are in, and it's going to take time to build them, and they're bound to want to shout about it. And I think this will register well with the public, as they're investing big time. And not stagnating.

Hadn't noticed the change in the LNR logo till pointed out above. The y on railway looks different. The word railway seems to be in a different font to previous and a different font to London Northwestern. More tahoma ish, maybe a bit narrower than the other two words?

Looks slightly more casual.

Livery wise. With only one unit being completed. Dunno why they are being picked up on this. Nearly everything if not everything on LNR has had new vinyls placed over old LM. And they seem to have completed this at ultra fast pace. GWR still have loads of trains running around in First dynamic lines. And yes I know it's still first but the point is if it's a rebrand it's only been a bit done. Are all southwestern railway units in new livery? Doubt it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
If it helps, this is the 'old' version:

290px-LondonNorthwestern.svg.png

and this is the 'new' version:

290px-LondonNorthwestern.svg.png

West_Midlands_Trains

It looks like what they've done is put 'Railway' in the same font as West Midlands Railway has 'Railway' written.

Wonder if it's a consistency thing?

If you look at the West Midlands Railway logo it's less bold and smoother slightly more Tahoma ish but narrow. And they have put Railway in the LNR logo in this same style that the whole WMR logo uses.

Idon'tKnow

New Cross City timetable has been released and its shocking! Well loaded 6 carriage trains have been shortened to 3!
07:32 from Redditch now 3
07:20 from Lichfield TV now 3
08:10 from Lichfield TV now 3
Old 17:22 Birmingham towards Redditch retimed depart at 17:23 with 3 carriages
17:25 from Birmingham towards Lichfield is now 3
The 17:25 is extremely busy as 6 carriages :sob:

pt_mad

Established Member
New Cross City timetable has been released and its shocking! Well loaded 6 carriage trains have been shortened to 3!

When does this take effect?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Where are the carriage numbers given?

TMD Tom

If I was cynical, I would say they advertise 3 to then say they over-form some services to 6; and to reject any claims for compensation under CRA for short-formed overcrowded trains.

Idon'tKnow

How's that gonna work with regards to getting everyone onboard then?
It's not going to work :frown: , I think lots of people will be left on the platform for the 17:25 from New street as it's always very well loaded with six carriages.
With the 0720 from Lichfield, I'd estimate it'll be full and standing from Four Oaks and people won't be able to board after Gravelly Hill/Aston.
However I think 3 carriages on the 0810 will be adequate, 6 carriages has always seemed a bit too much, it used to be 3 carriages (timed to leave Lichfield City at 0813) and the crowding wasn't servere.

Idon'tKnow

If I was cynical, I would say they advertise 3 to then say they over-form some services to 6; and to reject any claims for compensation under CRA for short-formed overcrowded trains.
That makes sense, but the new timetable is "C2C style" with a "reshuffle" sort of thing, where capacity is taken off some trains and put onto others, so say they over formed the 1725, they'd probably have to short form another service (considering the bromsgrove extension requires more units, and WMR is not getting any more)

pt_mad

Established Member

Perhaps you've hit the nail on the head? Set the stock level at 3 cars so that if one day they're a few sets short there are no penalties?

ChrisHogan

Is that to release 323s for the Bromsgrove extensions for when they eventually start?

The irony being that I suspect most passengers from Bromsgrove in the peaks will continue to use the Hereford/Worcester services rather than the very slow journeys on CrossCity. Aren't the extra 319s coming to WMT to release 350s from Euston services to allow the 323s to be concentrated on CrossCity?

Chris172

According to West Midlands bus forums the diesels trains will class 196/0 and 196/2 with cross city 730

Kite159

Veteran Member
The irony being that I suspect most passengers from Bromsgrove in the peaks will continue to use the Hereford/Worcester services rather than the very slow journeys on CrossCity. Aren't the extra 319s coming to WMT to release 350s from Euston services to allow the 323s to be concentrated on CrossCity?

Agreed there ~ 20 minutes on a 170 which starts from Birmingham against ~ 35 minutes on a 323 which starts from further afield, just a shame the fast lines on the 4-track section are not getting wired as otherwise WMT could have ran some peak-time Bromsgrove fasts using EMUs to encourage Bromsgrove passengers to use them instead.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Agreed there ~ 20 minutes on a 170 which starts from Birmingham against ~ 35 minutes on a 323 which starts from further afield, just a shame the fast lines on the 4-track section are not getting wired as otherwise WMT could have ran some peak-time Bromsgrove fasts using EMUs to encourage Bromsgrove passengers to use them instead.
I suspect the Bromsgrove services might not be entirely for the commuters. They may also be designed for people travelling to local stations before New Street or indeed local stations beyond New Street for those who don't want to change trains.at the moment the former can involve doubling back at University, which adds to the existing overcrowding there.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect the Bromsgrove services might not be entirely for the commuters. They may also be designed for people travelling to local stations before New Street or indeed local stations beyond New Street for those who don't want to change trains.at the moment the former can involve doubling back at University, which adds to the existing overcrowding there.

Sadly it means some cheaper tickets will most likely disappear :(

centraltrains

How come a few of the trains in the morning/lunch only make it as far as Longbridge but all in the afternoon go to Bromsgrove? Shame there connections for Barnt Green are only once an hour!

pt_mad

Established Member
According to West Midlands bus forums the diesels trains will class 196/0 and 196/2 with cross city 730

Sounds like it could be right. As the CAF DMUs for northern are class 195. So class 196 for WMR would make sense.

Idon'tKnow

It's also a shame that Cross City North is left with (apart from a single extra train from Four oaks at 0933) only 2 trains per hour on Sunday :(

pt_mad

Established Member
It's also a shame that Cross City North is left with (apart from a single extra train from Four oaks at 0933) only 2 trains per hour on Sunday :(

Presumably this is in May though rather than December? Would guess there'll be more changes then.

thecrofter

As a regular on the 07:20 LTV-RDC (as far as BHM) I was shocked to see this. However, looking at the inbound service which is the 06:12 LOB-LTV that shows it to be 6 cars. Just a typo in the TT perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.