Aberdeen - Inverness £170m Upgrade

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Altnabreac, 16 Oct 2015.

1. InOban

InOban Established Member

How much of the traffic, both road and rail, is end to end?

2. GusB

GusB Established Member

Network Rail have posted this today: https://www.networkrailmediacentre....berdeen-inverurie-double-tracking-this-summer

3. 47271

47271 Established Member

4. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Ha ha.

This is assuming they have enough rolling stock which they plainly don't. And the chances of the HSTs appearing is also slim.

5. Red Onion

Red Onion Member

I might be wrong but I thought that it was due to be constructed during the closure.

6. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

possibly staffing the trains might be more of an issue.
    With Irish Rail thinking of hirering British stock, there must be surplus around.

7. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

Construction groundworks started last week. Main construction will coincide with the blockade.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/work-begins-on-new-north-east-railway-station1/

Doesn't give a fixed opening date in the article. Previously Autumn 2019 and December 2019 have both been mentioned. Don't know if the lack of date indicates a potential delay beyond that but I'd expect it to open either late 2019 or early 2020.

8. GregA

GregA Member

Which services are going to stop at Kintore? Seeing as journeys from Inverness are going to be sped up, will it just be Inverurie to Aberdeen/Stonehaven/Montrose services which will stop?

9. MadMac

MadMac Member

On a semi-related note, the closure of Newtonhill box and provision of additional signals between Aberdeen and Stonehaven has been cancelled for this weekend with no rescheduled date as yet.

10. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I presume something came up in the testing?

11. MadMac

MadMac Member

No word on a reason as yet, but I understand that the weather has been pretty severe.

12. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Aye. It's not been great in Dundee so I could see it being worse further north.

13. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

It's nothing to do with the weather.

14. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Just rain and sleet up here all day

15. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

It's been blowy on and off down here with some actual snow at times.

16. Bill EWS

Bill EWS Member

Just returned from a stay in Aberdeen and used the train to Inverurie. I was surprised how busy the trains I used were. From Dyce to Aberdeen will continue to get busier as new stations are opened and I woud think Ellon must be due to rejoin the railway in the not too distant future and Fraserburgh and Peterhead must surely follow not too long after that. Double tracking and modern signalling systems will make a great difference. I'm an Ex Kittybrewster man and worked over these lines in the 60's. It would be fantastic to see them open once again. I also followed the line between Woodside and Kittybrewster while searching the route of the old canal and it was very satisfying seeing the double track and new signals ready to begin. The up line isn't open as yet but most of the work appears to be completed. I saw news today that they are near ready to start doubling between Dyce and Inch.

17. Norther Monkey

Norther Monkey Member

Interesting you thought it busy. As a reasonably regular user of the line I feel usage has fallen significantly in recent years. The collapse in oil price a few years back (and consequent reduction in workforce) certainly removed a good number of passengers, this was apparent in that parking places at many stations became easier to find.
    Last year's blockade put many people into their cars, or other transport, and a good number don't seem to have returned to the train. I suspect this year's blockade may do the same.
    The line often seems busier though as many services now see 2-car 158s vice 170s, and increased cancellations as we await full HST delivery.
    I worry that this time next year we'll have a much better railway, but many passengers will need significant persuasion to return.

18. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Dyce has had 49.1% on time trains in the past year, I suspect that's why people are avoiding the line as it's totally unreliable. I get the Stagecoach 35 in to town now because it actually turns up and they've recently invested in brand new very comfortable deckers. Many people I speak to in Dyce don't bother with the train either now.

Aberdeen Crossrail and and an extension to Peterhead/Fraserburgh won't happen in my lifetime.

They never widened the tunnel under Broadford Works either as part of A2I (presumably to cut costs), so the last mile to Aberdeen station is still single track despite them heralding the Inverurie to Aberdeen line as doubled. That would also impact any decision to add another line as that cost would have to be added to any budget for the project.

19. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

It goes without saying that doubling all the way to Aberdeen would have been ideal, but as long as they've used high-speed S&C at the "country end" of the single line section then it's still possible to have a robust timetable in spite of it. That would let trains approach Aberdeen as fast as if the line was double and trains to accelerate up to the double-track line speed as soon as they depart - which has the result of reducing the pathing time required.

20. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

The trains slow down to 35 mph at Kittybrewster anyway, so that's also an issue. Not quite sure why they slow down so far away from stations. coming in to Dyce from the Inverurie side is painfully slow for no reason.

21. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I'd like to think that this constraint can be removed as the track geometry seems like it can support higher speeds.

22. GusB

GusB Established Member

From Network Rail Today: https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/bam-nuttall-awarded-new-kintore-station-contract

It just says that the station will be built over the next 12 months, but no concrete dates have been given for when construction will start. Does anyone know when it's likely to begin?

23. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

24. GusB

GusB Established Member

Reading a bit more closely, it says that the station is expected to be ready in May 2020, so they must be ready to go. It also says that all Aberdeen - Inverness trains will stop at Kintore.

25. hexagon789

At least they'll get a decent service frequency.

26. 47271

47271 Established Member

I don't know if this has been the plan all along, but stopping everything at Kintore is a sound idea to take some of the pressure off Inverurie which has had mad passenger growth in the past ten years or so. The new station will also be a lot more accessible from the A96 than Inverurie is.

27. hexagon789

It definitely is a better idea, for precisely the reason you outline. Hopefully Kintore takes some of the pressure off as well as developing it's own demand, of it does I wonder if the likelihood of a station at Dalcross for the airport increases on a similar basis.

28. GusB

GusB Established Member

A station at Dalcross will also serve as a park and ride station for the new town at Tornagrain, which seems to be coming along nicely. It's currently served by the 11 bus, but the detour into the airport adds time to that journey.

29. hexagon789

Forgive me but do you mean one is planned or are you simply outlining why one should be?

30. GusB

GusB Established Member

I was under the impression that a station at Dalcross was very much a "live" proposal.

Tornagrain was just a name on a road sign for a time, but there is now a sizable housing development. If you believe the planners' bumph, it's set to be a new "big" settlement (10k people) in the near future. Having driven through it for a bit of a nosey, it would appear that construction is progressing quite rapidly, but the current transport links are woefully inadequate. The road from Tornagrain to the airport junction with the A96 is still very much single-track with passing places and needs to be seriously looked at.

Any station at Dalcross is going to be on the wrong side of the runway from the Airport terminal, and this is a major failure.