• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal (June 2022 Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

While in Aberdeen this past April I managed to get to three sites of the old Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal and add photos from these visits to my web pages on the canal.
I thought that this concluded all the available sites but there is still one to the south of Inverurie that I need to cover. Perhaps on my next visit to Aberdeen!

The GNSR built their line upon the canal between Aberdeen and Inverurie. Deviating from the canal where the canal bed would have meant tight curves and/or was
to high and close the the Great Northern Road. These deviations has left the canal bed still visable today. You can see them from the trains.

Aberdeen To Inverurie Canal Remains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Onion

Incredible photos, thank you for sharing them. I visited Port Elphinstone a decade back and it’s amazing how little has changed there, even the iron framed boat is still in situ.

A very fascinating canal and very pleased to look through your photos. I must go for another visit one day.

Bill EWS

Red Onion. The iron framed boat has now been removed and is going to be fully refurbished and put on display at a local museum.

Status
Not open for further replies.