• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen - Nottingham routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhs man 2

I am going to be travelling to Nottingham next January from Aberdeen, I know there is no direct train so I was wondering which route would be the cheapest on average where should I change etc ?

I have tried to ask this in the best way I could.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
The best way would be :

Aberdeen - York - Grantham - Nottingham.

But we couldnt possibly tell you what's best just yet, as timetables would of changed at the end of this year.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

David

Established Member
No matter which way you go about it, your looking at a minimum of 2 changes. If you get an EC service from Aberdeen, then I suggest changing at York onto an XC service (get the XC service that goes via Doncaster as there will be more seats available) to Sheffield, then the Northern or EMT service to Nottingham from there.

Alternatively, if you catch a Scotrail service from Aberdeen, then change at Edinburgh. From there you have a choice, follow the advice as above from York, or change at either York or Newark plus Grantham (the East Coast website is offering routes via Grantham).

PS. I've just checked again, and via Derby is being offered as a valid route as well, so from York, you can catch the XC service to Derby for a service onto Nottingham from there.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Depending on how you define "best journey" makes a difference. It is possible to get from Aberdeen to Nottingham with one change, by taking CrossCountry to Leeds and then the Northern express to Nottingham.

Depends on priorities, its a fair journey on a Voyager!

Skymonster

Established Member
Why waste time on a long, boring and complex rail journey? Eastern Airways Aberdeen-East Midlands airport three times a day, then bus/taxi to Nottingham, or if you're desperate to use a train East Midlands Parkway station is close to East Midlands airport with regular trains to Nottingham

fhs man 2

Why waste time on a long, boring and complex rail journey? Eastern Airways Aberdeen-East Midlands airport three times a day, then bus/taxi to Nottingham, or if you're desperate to use a train East Midlands Parkway station is close to East Midlands airport with regular trains to Nottingham

The price of the flight is good but then is adds a service charge of £150.

bangor-toad

Hi there,
I had to do that trip in reverse a couple of months ago. It was an expensed ticket so I just bought an Off Peak Return for £149 which appears to be valid on any train on any permitted route.

If you get such a ticket, there are a vast amount of routing options open to you. Going east to west they are:
Aberdeen - Edinburgh - ECML - Doncaster/Newark/possibly Grantham - Nottingham
Aberdeen - Edinburgh - ECML - Leeds - Sheffield - Nottingham
Aberdeen - Edinburgh/Glasgow - Carlisle - Settle - Leeds - Sheffield - Nottingham
Aberdeen - Edinburgh/Glasgow - WCML - Manchester - Sheffield - Nottingham
Aberdeen - Edinburgh/Glasgow - WCML - Crewe - Derby - Nottingham
Aberdeen - Edinburgh/Glasgow - Carlisle - Cumbrian coast - WCML - Onwards via Manchester or Crewe

If this is within your budget you get to route yourself via some great lines with the option for ECML one way and WCML the other.

If you're looking for cheap then one option may be to look for cheap EC advances from Aberdeen to Newark / Retford or Grantham and then get a further ticket to Nottingham.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.