• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen - Penzance direct service not running in current timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nev20

During the Derby work the timetable has been flipped. I.e Scotland-Plymouth paths are now Scotland-South Coast services.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Morning all,

Recently the 'All The Stations' lot did the Longest Train from Aberdeen to Penzance. So I was considering having a go at it but then I encountered a problem.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...18/09/26/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

It appears the train no longer runs !

Am I missing something? I probably am.

Might have something to do with works at Derby - service resumes on 08/10

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...8/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

dk1

Veteran Member
Been going on for weeks now & it's amazing how many punters are still moaning on Twitter as to why there usual through journey has changed. Was very well advertised months in advance too o_O

03_179

Established Member
The Derby works messed me going to Burton on Trent in June but I didn't twig that it would affect these.

Thanks to all for the info ... I may have to do it in October.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Derby works messed me going to Burton on Trent in June but I didn't twig that it would affect these.

Thanks to all for the info ... I may have to do it in October.

When Cross Country trains are delayed by a diversion involving additional time it has to take the next slot when back on route, i.e. half an hour or an hour later depending on the amount of additional time. If not you would have to have a completely new timetable for the whole XC Network.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks. Burton was for DEMU exhibition. We went via Birmingham New Street instead.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
"What's happened to the Aberdeen-Penzance train?!!" is coming up so often the Mods should make it a sticky! :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
"What's happened to the Aberdeen-Penzance train?!!" is coming up so often the Mods should make it a sticky! :)
Yes, I reckon there’s been at least 5 or 6 similar questions (and follow up discussions) about the XC side-effects of the Derby blockade, so far, with a while to go.

ashworth

Established Member
The Derby blockade means XC diversions around Derby until mid September. Then immediately afterwards there is a Bristol Parkway blockade with XC services diverted via Gloucester and Newport.

duffield

Established Member
The Derby blockade means XC diversions around Derby until mid September. Then immediately afterwards there is a Bristol Parkway blockade with XC services diverted via Gloucester and Newport.
My favourite diversion - the Lydney-Chepstow-Newport bit is great! As a bonus if coming from Chesterfield or further north you can get a diversion through Toton yard as well, e.g.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77372/2018/09/17/advanced

However, not so good if you're in a hurry, the two diversions add 30mins + 1hr = 1hr30 to the journey!

Established Member
My favourite diversion - the Lydney-Chepstow-Newport bit is great! As a bonus if coming from Chesterfield or further north you can get a diversion through Toton yard as well, e.g.

However, not so good if you're in a hurry, the two diversions add 30mins + 1hr = 1hr30 to the journey!
I might be doing both over the next month. Burton to Chesterfield next week and possibly the Newport diversion in September.
The Newport diversion brings out a interesting service 0700 Cardiff to Paignton which I guess is better than the 15x a hour later.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K55682/2018/09/19/advanced

Established Member

ashworth

Established Member

Fantastic! That’s just the information I have been looking for. I’m travelling from Nottingham to Plymouth on Wednesday 19th September. I was looking forward to the diversion via Lydney and Newport but was trying to work out which departure from Derby would be an HST.

tbtc

Veteran Member
We had Aberdeen - Plymouth today (not Penzance, mind), due to the service running via Leeds *and* Doncaster (as well as the Derby diversion) - i.e. adding half an hour to the York - Sheffield duration on top of the half hour required to snake round Castle Donnington etc (including a twelve minute wait at Burton to catch the next XC path towards Birmingham).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77502/2018/08/19/advanced

Not sure what the Leeds/Donny combination was about (it caught me out, travelling back on my "not via Doncaster" ticket...) - Sundays on XC are always full of surprises though.

sufian123

We had Aberdeen - Plymouth today (not Penzance, mind), due to the service running via Leeds *and* Doncaster (as well as the Derby diversion) - i.e. adding half an hour to the York - Sheffield duration on top of the half hour required to snake round Castle Donnington etc (including a twelve minute wait at Burton to catch the next XC path towards Birmingham).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77502/2018/08/19/advanced

Not sure what the Leeds/Donny combination was about (it caught me out, travelling back on my "not via Doncaster" ticket...) - Sundays on XC are always full of surprises though.

Sunday’s hourly. I.e. it’s not half hourly service.

Established Member
Fantastic! That’s just the information I have been looking for. I’m travelling from Nottingham to Plymouth on Wednesday 19th September. I was looking forward to the diversion via Lydney and Newport but was trying to work out which departure from Derby would be an HST.
I might be traveling on the same day! 0727, 0828, 1129 are HST's at the moment. I wouldn't think they would change until October as the timetable is largely the same until then but looking at RTT all the HST's are only going as far as Exeter because of the Newport diversion.

ashworth

Established Member
I might be traveling on the same day! 0727, 0828, 1129 are HST's at the moment. I wouldn't think they would change until October as the timetable is largely the same until then but looking at RTT all the HST's are only going as far as Exeter because of the Newport diversion.

Yes, I am aware that they are only going as far as Exeter and I was expecting to change there for amtrain to Plymouth.
My return journey is on Thursday 27th September. I’m going to get the 0925 from Plymouth to Derby. I know it’s a Voyager, but as it starts at Plymouth, at least I will be able to get on with my case before it gets crowded. I hate travelling on crowded Voyagers when I have luggage because even a small case won’t fit on the overhead racks. I have a friend who had their case stolen from the luggage rack at the end of the carriage a few years ago and so I refuse to leave mine there.

Last edited:

Established Member
Yes, I am aware that they are only going as far as Exeter and I was expecting to change there for amtrain to Plymouth.
My return journey is on Thursday 27th September. I’m going to get the 0925 from Plymouth to Derby. I know it’s a Voyager, but as it starts at Plymouth, at least I will be able to get on with my case before it gets crowded. I hate travelling on crowded Voyagers when I have luggage because even a small case won’t fit on the overhead racks. I have a friend who had their case stolen from the luggage rack at the end of the carriage a few years ago and so I refuse to leave mine there.
I didn't know if you where aware. I know what you mean about luggage on voyagers. I try to get near to the ends or on a quieter train even if it mean waiting 30 minuets like I did on Friday as the 1230 was full but the 1300 was almost empty and I got a space opposite the luggage rack.

trainophile

Established Member
Permission to resurrect this thread?

I note that “what’s happened to the Aberdeen to Penzance train” apparently comes up regularly, but can’t find any updates since August 2018, and I see it now only goes as far as Truro. I have checked right up to as far as tickets are currently available, and although there are trains from Truro to Penzance the direct service from Scotland no longer seems to run.

If there’s another more recent thread could someone point me to it?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Permission to resurrect this thread?

I note that “what’s happened to the Aberdeen to Penzance train” apparently comes up regularly, but can’t find any updates since August 2018, and I see it now only goes as far as Truro. I have checked right up to as far as tickets are currently available, and although there are trains from Truro to Penzance the direct service from Scotland no longer seems to run.

If there’s another more recent thread could someone point me to it?
What dates are you looking at? In the normal timetable it still goes as far as Penzance.

trainophile

Established Member
I randomly checked a few midweek dates between now and the end of August using the TPE website. I entered Aberdeen to Penzance and all I got on each occasion was Aberdeen to Truro (arriving 21:40), with no onward connection shown, which I thought was a bit strange. I will have another look in case I was doing something wrong ...

dk1

Veteran Member
It's had a cracking run again today & is approaching Truro on time destination Penzance.

trainophile

Established Member
Right well I got the arrival time wrong as it’s actually 20:57 at Truro, but it still implies that the train doesn’t continue to Penzance. I’m looking at the only “0 changes” service of the day, departing 08:20.

Thanks for further reply above with RTT link, must be a TPE website idiosyncrasy then. Sorry to bump the thread needlessly.

trainophile

Established Member
Out of interest what does the CrossCountry website say...?

Not sure really, can’t get desktop format on my phone, but it seems to show two entries for the 08:20 departure, one includes changes and arrives Penzance at 20:52 (?), the other arrives 21:40, no changes and costs an extra £3.

I am happy that it does still run the whole way, but wonder what it says on the tickets for the version that appears to end at Truro.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's quicker to change twice.

The TPE website will sell a ticket from Aberdeen to Penzance for £252.25, it does state the journey is to Penzance and gives the correct arrival time.

However when you click on the timetable, a bug occurs and it shows the train terminating at Truro, but at the time it arrives into Penzance. When you click on the details, it shows St Austell as the penultimate station with an apparent journey time from there to Truro of 58mins.

I found the bug also occurs on its sister website for Hull Trains, which is made by the same company.

The Worldline WebTIS sites are absolutely riddled with bugs, so I am surprised anyone here uses them (well, except to get cheaper fares as a result of the 'interesting' bugs which cause major loopholes for those who know how to find them!)

Also, surely no member of this forum would willingly pay such high fares, when cheaper 'split ticketing' sites are available?!

Also you'd have to pay me to take that train on a Voyager. For less than the cost of that insanely priced train, I am currently in the process of travelling from York to Nice to Milan to Venice to Prague to London to York.

But it's your choice! ;):lol:

Attachments

• 0820abd-pnz.jpg
    0820abd-pnz.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0820abd-pnz showing calling points.jpg
    0820abd-pnz showing calling points.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 26
  • abd to pnz hull trains.jpg
    abd to pnz hull trains.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trains only terminate at Truro from the St Austell direction in an emergency, or during engineering works, as far as I know, as their presence blocks everything else on the main line. When Virgin ran XC trains ran out of fuel on several occasions on the last stretch through Cornwall (in those days some came down the West Coast from Scotland too) and I was unfortunate enough to be caught on one such once.

Status
Not open for further replies.