• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen to Edinburgh Routing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Onion

Hello,

A quick fares question to see if a journey is possible.

On Thursday, I plan to travel from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, ideally direct on the way there but on my return, I’m hoping to go via Stirling and Perth to make a couple of stops. I really plan to do this on the off peak. I’d hoped that an off peak return between Aberdeen and Edinburgh would allow this but my (possibly terrible) interpretation of the routing guide suggests that Edinburgh to Aberdeen cannot be done via Stirling. Am I right in thinking this?

If so I’m thinking my best option might be to get returns from Aberdeen to Stirling and Stirling to Edinburgh and just travel that way. I’m looking to be flexible in my timings so not wanting to be tied to a certain train.

Is this the best idea or are am I missing any better options?

Any help is most gratefully appreciated, thank you :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
A ticket from Aberdeen to Croy is valid Aberdeen > Edinburgh on a fast train where you may break your outward journey to do business in the city. You may then resume your journey to use the ticket to travel from Edinburgh to either Falkirk station. Your return portion can then commence from Larbert where you can break your journey at Stirling or Perth before continuing to Aberdeen.

I have not got time to look up if there is a more optimal way to do that - you could go down to Croy, cross over to the other platform and come back to Stirling, if you've time. The price is reasonable at £60.30 and is only about £5 more than your suggested Aberdeen to Edinburgh. I've not got time to check properly if you have a 'gap' between Falkirk and Larbert should you take a through Edinburgh to Stirling train, but this is only £2.80 so hopefully wouldn't break the bank if you had to pay. You may be able to make a greater saving by 'splitting' - I reccomend you go to trainsplit.com and input your journey requirements (outward and return) to check this.

Last edited:

Red Onion

That’s absolutely great! Had never thought of Croy. I’ll take a look at splitting.

Many thanks for that, greatly appreciated

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If it transpires that you do have a gap on those tickets, you could speak to the guard before boarding at Edinburgh. If you show both portions of the £60.30 ticket and explain you have an appointment in Sitrling, they may chose to give you permission to travel on their train from Edinburgh to Stirling without further charge, as a matter of good customer service.

kkong

Buy an Aberdeen to Glasgow Central/Queen Street return.
This is valid for travel via Edinburgh.

JB_B

Established Member
I think Aberdeen-Falkirk Stations would be OK for the OP's intended route - ~£2 cheaper than Croy or Glasgow. (and AFAICT Polmont or Linlithgow would shave a little bit more off.)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I concur that having looked it up more carefully Falkirk Stations is an appropriate destination which removes the issues of a 'gap' and still permits the fast trains to be used between Edinburgh and Stirling. If I had the appropriate budget for a trip that needed this sort of thing doing, I would probably opt for that ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.