• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen to Inverness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to travel with the other half on 03/12 between the two places above using our 2TG railcard.
I’m looking at advances and is coming up around £22/23 however, when I use TrainPal, I can buy a Scotrail Concession Single for a grand total of £1 for two people. What is this ticket and are we eligible to purchase it? TrainPal seems to think so!

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The passenger is always responsible for buying the correct ticket.
It's not as simple as that

In this case, the name of the ticket does, I think, put the burden on the passenger

However if the ticket had a name that did not make it obvious that the ticket should not be sold, then the contract would be binding (any dispute would be an internal rail industry dispute between the relevant train company, the retailer and any other relevant suppliers)

lachlan

It’s a ticket for holders of certain national entitlement cards, which I think is a Scottish take on the Freedom Pass for older and disabled people.
I'm an entitlement card holder and we don't need to purchase tickets - just show the guard the card and tap the card on ticket gates. I have no idea what ticket this would be!

Haywain

Veteran Member
It’s a ticket for holders of certain national entitlement cards,
That is not correct. The fare in question is an anomaly in the fares system as there are no concessions that qualify for that fare on that journey. A similar fare exists on the Inverness - Edinburgh flow and is available to the Companion of a blind person holding a Highland Concessionary pass. The Scottish National Concessionary scheme for blind persons does not offer similar discounts.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I believe that this fare is for companions of registered blind National Entitlement Card holders resident in the Highland Council area who require to attend hospital appointments in Edinburgh & Glasgow.

It has erroneously been enabled for other journeys for some reason.

lachlan

Not every Local Authority gives free travel some ony subsidise the fares.
Thanks, do you know of a list/map of benefits by local authority? I often wondered whether every LA gave the free travel or not - would be handy to know which ones do!

Wallsendmag

Established Member
When I was updating our handbook several years ago I just googled each LA to see what they offered their residents. Example below

Your MyFife card lets you travel on all scheduled rail services operating between any two train stations within Fife, for a £1 single fare or £2 for a return. You can make as many journeys as you like, but only during "off peak" times. You can read more in the Concessionary Rail Scheme Information Sheet.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks, do you know of a list/map of benefits by local authority? I often wondered whether every LA gave the free travel or not - would be handy to know which ones do!

No reduced Rail Fares in Falkirk - They knocked it on the head four or five years ago apparently, so I dipped out on it :E

Status
Not open for further replies.