• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen To Inverurie Canal (Present main line).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

If this isn't the correct group for this subject please move it if necessary.

I have checked out remains of the old Aberdeen to Inverurie canal at a couple of spots over the years. However back this April I managed to cover as much as possible. The railway from Waterloo Basin was built over the canal with a few diversions. Other sections have been completely ploughed over or built upon, leaving only a few short section still visible. The sections that I couldn't get too have been covered with the help of Google Earth. Hope you found the web pages that I have put together of some interest.

Aberdeen To Inveurie Canal (Present Aberdeen to Inverurie main line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member

I have checked out remains of the old Aberdeen to Inverurie canal at a couple of spots over the years. However back this April I managed to cover as much as possible. The railway from Waterloo Basin was built over the canal with a few diversions. Other sections have been completely ploughed over or built upon, leaving only a few short section still visible. The sections that I couldn't get too have been covered with the help of Google Earth. Hope you found the web pages that I have put together of some interest.

Great selection of images on your link - as I'm heading for Aberdeen before to long, where I've not been for many years, v interesting to peruse this so thanks for drawing it to wider attention here.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

The photos on your site have certainly triggered a few memories, Bill. While I can't offer anything by way of useful historical information, I did live on Jute Street for a short time (1994/5), and the flat backed onto the line. I had always assumed that it was disused until one morning I had a rude awakening as the weedkilling train went past my bedroom window. To this day it's the only train I've ever seen use the line. Canal Street (there is a separate Canal Street in Woodside, if I recall correctly) formed part of my route to work at the time, and while I know now why there are references to a canal in the local street names, back then I had no idea.

Bill EWS

The Goods Siding was a new one on me, GusB. I don't ever remember seeing it. We shunted at the paper mill a few times but that is as far as that turn worked too. The siding was probably used by Inverurie crew or perhaps it was little used at that time.

Between the goods siding, Lade and Canal this must have been a busy corner of Inverurie. I had hoped to find some more photos of the area but they do seem to be very few indeed and I have seen nothing of when both were in full working condition.

The Boat of Kintore was another error that I had assumed was part of the canal. However, it got it's name from the ferry that once applied across the River Don at that place. The canal didn't go that way. There is still a level crossing at The Boat of Kintore.

Yes, the two Canal Streets did get confused, especially with mail.

Bill EWS

Great selection of images on your link - as I'm heading for Aberdeen before to long, where I've not been for many years, v interesting to peruse this so thanks for drawing it to wider attention here.

Hope you enjoy the area, Western Lancer. It is worth searching out. It's nice that my pages may help you to find places easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.