• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abergele and Pensarn Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomos y Tanc

While the jury is probably still out on TfW, their scheme to make unused station buildings available for community use seems to be moving forward. Have any other franchises attempted this and, if so, with what kind of results?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
A number of station buildings across the UK have been altered to community use. It may be worth looking at the Railway Heritage Trust annual reports, which can be viewed at this page as they have given much support to such works.

Llandudno

Established Member
While the jury is probably still out on TfW, their scheme to make unused station buildings available for community use seems to be moving forward. Have any other franchises attempted this and, if so, with what kind of results?

Similar scheme at Llandudno Station and the cafe on the platform at Llandudno Junction has been refurbished and a community charity is taking over the running of the cafe.

Llanigraham

Established Member
There is a community cafe in the station building at Llandovery. (They do a very good Bara Brith!)
Newtown used to have a cafe and hairdressers but both have now closed.

Trackman

Established Member
Northern have a community room at Bolton. They had an art exhibition or something in there a couple of years ago.
Also in Northern land, a station building at Guide Bridge is being run by the Woodhead Heritage group (or something like that) who are at the moment making it into a museum.

topydre

My favourite is Borth Station Museum. The interior has been sympathetically restored and it's full of interesting railway artefacts plus local history. The piece de resistance was their acquisition a couple of years ago of the original station clock which is back in it's original position on the external wall. I'm looking forward to whenever it reopens

Welshman

Established Member
At the next stop up the line from Abergele, part of Rhyl station buildings is used as a mess-room for drivers using the adjacent bus station, and pre-covid, there was also a community cafe, open to all.

And in Northernland, there was [pre-covid again] an excellent cafe in what was I think the parcel office of Hebden Bridge station and an art studio/gallery at Todmorden. And also the use of platform 3 at Halifax station by Eureka! - the children's museum, although I gather that may soon be ended with the planned improvement of Halifax station by Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.