• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abject Stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
the United States is an English-speaking country.

I always quite like this exchange:

Yes said:
Bernard: [on the phone] Yes, we will want simultaneous translators. No, not when the PM meets the leaders of the English-speaking nations. Yes, the English-speaking nations can be said to include the United States. With a certain generosity of spirit.

An American, standing in front of me at Glasgow Central ticket office (Some years ago) asked: "When is the next train to Iona?":lol:

gswindale

And it's not that long since the English used to go to England football matches waving Union Jacks (pedantry on "Jack" not wanted here!).
Nowt wrong with referring to it as the Union Jack according to the expert on BBC Breakfast a few days ago.

Smudger105e

But it is only a union jack when flown from the jack staff of a ship when it is in harbour.

flags_union_460x300.jpg

"It’s OK to fly St Edmund and the Union Flag (note 'flag' not 'Jack' as it is not flying from a ship's Jackstaff) but the Union Flag must always be in the superior position," writes Robin Buncome. "Here St Edmund flies proudly over Walberswick."

Johnuk123

Established Member
An American, standing in front of me at Glasgow Central ticket office (Some years ago) asked: "When is the next train to Iona?":lol:

I can assure you after having lived and worked in the U.S. we are exactly the same if not worse in that fine country.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The Flag Institute, the national vexillological organisation for this country say that the terms "Union Jack" and "Union Flag" can be used interchangeably.

I quote:
"From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908, a government minister stated, in response to a Parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"

More info:
http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7.1.2#index2

HowMuch?

"Train to Iona" is surely not unreasonable as shorthand for "Train that I need to get in order to travel onward to Iona".

If you want language to be exact and mathematical, rather than a flexible tool for meaningful communication then I shall have no compuction in saying "Back here, you fool" next time I'm asked where I want a return ticket to!

PS I should have known better than say "Union Jack pedantry not required" on this forum.....

"WHOM does Daddy love?"

HowMuch?

We all have our pedantries (erm, is that a word - I'm sure I'll soon find out!).

My pet one is Uninterested/Disinterested. They DO mean different things. Though eventually, when a large majority of literate people use a word differently to (THAN ? COVERS HEAD,...) yourself, you have to accept that language has changed.

In Dickens' books, "Father-in-law" means "Stepfather". Which can cause a few misunderstandings until you key yourself in to the older language.

"WHOM does Daddy love?"

LE Greys

Established Member
We all have our pedantries (erm, is that a word - I'm sure I'll soon find out!).

My pet one is Uninterested/Disinterested. They DO mean different things. Though eventually, when a large majority of literate people use a word differently to (THAN ? COVERS HEAD,...) yourself, you have to accept that language has changed.

In Dickens' books, "Father-in-law" means "Stepfather". Which can cause a few misunderstandings until you key yourself in to the older language.

"WHOM does Daddy love?"

My pet hate is when people forget, 'similar TO', 'different FROM'... ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
Mine is "of" instead of "have", IE "I should of got off the train". NO its "I should have got off the train".<D

Makes me want to smack them over the head with a wet lettuce! ;)

Eagle

Established Member
Mine is "of" instead of "have", IE "I should of got off the train". NO its "I should have got off the train".<D

To be fair, when spoken they do sound the same. (Not condoning the error in writing though :P)

Mine has got to be "off of".

I think there is a difference in meaning between "off" and "off of"; the latter has more of an ablative meaning to it, making it closer to "from". I think in a century or two this will probably end up as standard usage—language constantly evolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.