• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

About the clocks going forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
What would happen to the few services that operate overnight? Would their timtables be altered specifically to allow for the change of time? Would some services that are dependant on ECS movements have to be cancelled? Would services simply be skipped because their starting time is 01:xx, even in the case of somewhere like Fishguard?

Does anyone know? :)

EDIT: Apparently this is the forum's 40,000th active thread (presumably allowing for those threads that only some, including me in some cases and not others, can see). Not bad :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
I'd imagine services already running would be retimed to arrive an hour later. (eg the 00:50 from A to B would arrive at B at 2:20 instead of 1:20)

Services due to start at 01xx I'd guess would leave at 02xx. Freight would probably have to make way as well as usual night services. There just doesn't seem to be that many services though, especially not in the Midlands.

I don't actually know anything XD

SS4

Established Member
It would likely come up as delayed on NRE - see the 23:50 from Euston to Wolvo

If anyone knows why it was delayed feel free to mention

(clickable thumbnail)

Ivo

Established Member
I don't have an answer, but if trains are delayed according to NRE then surely Delay Repay schemes kick in because we are a full hour late? :lol:

rail-britain

Established Member
When the sleepers used to run on Saturday nights, I used to always work the night of the clock change

For the summer one this meant arriving one hour late, from 01:00 onwards, effectively adding one hours overtime
However, in the winter this meant arriving one hour early at Edinburgh, Carlisle or Preston (depending on service) and then departing on-time, but we still received the additional hours payment

driver9000

Established Member
The clocks going forwards and backwards is dealt with in this weeks Weekly Operating Notice. I don't have this weeks as I have no need for it, but anyone who does have one will be able to give an accurate answer. I can never remember what is actually written as it's quite a long notice....

pendolino

The clocks going forwards and backwards is dealt with in this weeks Weekly Operating Notice. I don't have this weeks as I have no need for it, but anyone who does have one will be able to give an accurate answer. I can never remember what is actually written as it's quite a long notice....

*pulls WON out*

Summarising slightly (because I'm not typing it out in full):

1. Adjustment of clocks in railway premises - at 0100 GMT signaller resets clocks to 0200 BST. At places closed at the time the change operates, clocks must be changed by the last person on duty on Saturday 26th March.

2. Train services - trains to due to commence their journey before 0100 should run as if GMT still applies. Trains due to commence their journey at or after 0200 will run at BST. Train crew booking on times should be adjusted accordingly. Any times between 0100 and 0200 should clearly indicate whether they are BST or GMT.

3. Records and journals - must show the actual time of train running in GMT until 0100 and BST thereafter. Records between 0100 and 0200 should show whether they are GMT or BST.

HST Power

Established Member
It would likely come up as delayed on NRE - see the 23:50 from Euston to Wolvo

If anyone knows why it was delayed feel free to mention

(clickable thumbnail)

Well I don't know about why it was delayed, but I sure feel pretty sorry for the people on that train to Coventry!

causton

Established Member
I don't have an answer, but if trains are delayed according to NRE then surely Delay Repay schemes kick in because we are a full hour late? :lol:

You may joke, but I checked at 2:45am and all Thameslink services were magically on time, then an hour late from the first stop after 1:00am! Was on my phone so didn't get a screenshot :(

HST Power

Established Member
It's funny how everything goes pear shaped over the clocks change. Aren't we practically the only country who do it?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
though it is mostly only observed by countries in the Northern Hemisphere.

Aren't the majority of countries in the Northern Hemisphere ;)

The EU standardised it so everywhere in Europe goes over at once. Definitely not just us.

There's less need the closer you get to the Equator, where days become more even.

HST Power

Established Member
Aren't the majority of countries in the Northern Hemisphere ;)

The EU standardised it so everywhere in Europe goes over at once. Definitely not just us.

There's less need the closer you get to the Equator, where days become more even.

It's lucky that the change was on the weekend, otherwise I'd be having words with the EU about my missed hour of sleep! ;)

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
:D

What's particularly interesting (if you check the wiki article) is that Europe goes over at exactly the same time. So France is always an hour ahead, and has the problem between 0200 and 0300 (rather than 0100 and 0200).

Then in the Southern Hemisphere, they go the other way, and often on a different date, so annually the time difference varies by two hours.

Completely mad. Just be glad you don't live in the Arctic Circle!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sorry, didn't mean it like that.

There are proposals to do "double summertime" so we're with France etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

Main problem is sun wouldn't rise in Thurso until gone 10 o'clock. Yet they live with this in Norway.
Scotland threw it out straight away. BBC then did a piece on putting Scotland in a different time zone!

Gosh I know a lot about what many consider a fairly useless subject! (cough)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In the US, all but two states, one of them Hawaii, change- but at a different date to Europe- though there are random counties that don't, or that are in half-hour time zones etc. Because they're a bit odd.

Aictos

Established Member
Sorry, didn't mean it like that.

There are proposals to do "double summertime" so we're with France etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

Main problem is sun wouldn't rise in Thurso until gone 10 o'clock. Yet they live with this in Norway.
Scotland threw it out straight away. BBC then did a piece on putting Scotland in a different time zone!

I might not agree with a lot of what Europe has to offer the UK but I do support this proposal which brings us in line with Spain, France etc...

If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for us!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In China they do not have the time change, it gets light far too early in the morning now :cry:

By 06:00 it is pretty much impossible to sleep in an East facing room.

The whole of China being one zone is a bit of an odd one- us changing to Central European Time would be a minor shift out alignment compared to some parts of China.

(wonder if portugal would finally change if we change)

Invincibles

The whole of China being one zone is a bit of an odd one- us changing to Central European Time would be a minor shift out alignment compared to some parts of China.

(wonder if portugal would finally change if we change)

And would the GMT+2 countries in the Eastern block come to European time as well?

China is very strange, I suppose being in the north east I am getting the worst of it in terms of early sunshine.

There is a very quick change of "local time" on the in flight information system as you cross the Chinese border near Pakistan.

Old Timer

Established Member

Nothing to stop the Scots keeping GMT, rather a case of the tail wagging the dog here.

A different time zone for Scotland would not cause anywhere near the problems that people will insist on creating. How on earth do they think other large Countries with differing internal time zones operate ??

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I believe the whole problem with time zones is the faff involved.

You have to balance this with not alienating the time from the Sun itself, and optimising daylight etc

Anyway, I think we've gone off topic a bit by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.