• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

about TI E464 in intercity/ICN services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
Knowing that TI starts to deploy E464 in their IC(N) services to create an reversible train and reduce operating costs so I wonder how many 464s are gonna be modified for long-distance services and whether TI's regional department has surplus 464s knowing that they are introducing new trainsets.
Lastly I wondered if they will be the engine in a couple of trains like NJ/EN 235/234,233/232 from Tarvisio<>Milan, NJ/EN 294/295 from Tarvisio<>Rome and EN 1234/1236/1238,
1237/1239 from Tarvisio<>Livorno C etc.
PS I wondered whether other countries can consider putting a control car in a night train like Italy do.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
By "control car" I guess you mean a vehicle with a driving cab on the back? The UK does not use these on night trains if it's any interest to you.

Veteran Member
By "control car" I guess you mean a vehicle with a driving cab on the back? The UK does not use these on night trains if it's any interest to you.
I don't think anyone does - the new build of Nightjet stock, which will be operating the trains mentioned, is fixed formation, but I can't find out whether there is a driving trailer.

superalbs

Established Member
There are I believe 11 of the E.464 locos for long-distance traffic in Italy, not sure if there are plans for any more, it's a recent development!

They are mostly used on select night services (to/from Sicily, as well as a small handful on the mainland), but also on day trains to/from Sicily. Some of them are top-and-tail, some of them are just a single loco, and some use a control car. They are not fixed formations, and locos are frequently swapped and exchanged.

For example last week, I had an E.402 loco from Milano to Villa S.G., and once on Sicily, an E.464 was affixed to either side of the train to continue to Siracusa. Later on, I had a single E.464 on the front from Palermo, but once on the mainland, it was a pair of two different E.464 as far as Napoli and Roma. Not sure what the deal is for day trains.

Veteran Member
There are I believe 11 of the E.464 locos for long-distance traffic in Italy, not sure if there are plans for any more, it's a recent development!

They are mostly used on select night services (to/from Sicily, as well as a small handful on the mainland), but also on day trains to/from Sicily. Some of them are top-and-tail, some of them are just a single loco, and some use a control car. They are not fixed formations, and locos are frequently swapped and exchanged.

For example last week, I had an E.402 loco from Milano to Villa S.G., and once on Sicily, an E.464 was affixed to either side of the train to continue to Siracusa. Later on, I had a single E.464 on the front from Palermo, but once on the mainland, it was a pair of two different E.464 as far as Napoli and Roma. Not sure what the deal is for day trains.
I've just looked on vagonweb
https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/razeni.php?rok=2020&jmeno=&vuz=TI+E464&cislo_vozu=&relace=&najit=Find
and that mix seems to be roughly as booked, including the top-and-tail workings on Sicily. Despite the OP's question, there are no driving trailers in the sleeper train, in contrast to the day ICs on Sicily. The sleepers don't have any seats cars though.

superalbs

Established Member
I've just looked on vagonweb
https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/razeni.php?rok=2020&jmeno=&vuz=TI+E464&cislo_vozu=&relace=&najit=Find
and that mix seems to be roughly as booked, including the top-and-tail workings on Sicily. Despite the OP's question, there are no driving trailers in the sleeper train, in contrast to the day ICs on Sicily. The sleepers don't have any seats cars though.
The day trains can be top-and-tailed though, my friend used one last week, I will ask him.

EDIT: Yes, he says it was top-and-tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.