• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AbRail website

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
Yep, there is no reason why the 2 can't work side by side :)
UK Rail Log will probably start off with more active stuff before expanding into older locos and units that were scrapped years ago - I think it is the best way to do it as most people will want a resource like this for assistance with stuff they might see on an outing. I think the units section will be of particular interest (seemed to be quite popular on Abrail) but I wanted to get the locos up first.

Anyway, I have spent today working on the more cosmetic features of the site. I have now added a notes section to record any changes to a particular loco so check that out and let me know if it is a welcome addition or not and I have updated the layout of the mobile website for those who might access it via their mobile. Should be more user friendly now and all headers should be in the correct place! Final thing I have done today is to add all of the 'Previous Numbers' for the class 37 (along with a few depot amendments and the addition of the name on 37418 which it has recently regained). I may spend an hour or so later getting the next section of data input as well.

My plan is to create news pages or something similar to detail both changes to the website and changes I come across to locos/units and also look to add a form to enable people to submit any changes they may notice - I will probably do this on a submit and second basis (ie person A submits the change but it only gets changed on the website if person B comes along to second it - basically a way to stop people from submitting bogus information).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Sounds great! I like the way it's designed. The different sections make it easy to find what you're looking for.
That submit and second system sounds like a good one as well - it would definitely stop all sorts of rubbish being put on there. I'm actually working on something similar for the trains in my area - I can PM you if you're interested in using any of the information I've got.

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
looks really good so far!

Thanks :) Feel free to offer any suggestions if you have any.

Just to update everyone I have now completed the data entry for all diesel locomotives so the site is complete up to the Class 70 fleet. I have split the 66's down into their sub classes to keep things tidy - let me know if this is a preference for people or whether you'd prefer all of the fleet together. Also, worth noting that the Class 66-Class 70 fleet is up to date to within the last 24 hours - all classes will eventually be brought up to date but you may find some information slightly out of date in some sections until I have got all locos loaded up. Feel free to drop me a message if you see any detail that you believe to have changed recently.

There is also now a 'Site News' section which can be accessed via the buttons at the bottom of the home page (or through the 'Home' tab at the top). This is where I will keep everyone updated with any changes made to the site on a particular day. You will also notice a 'Railway News' button (that doesn't yet work) next to the Site News button and this will be where I will list changes to locos. I will probably look to activate this section once everything else is updated.

Plan is to have the locos completed by the end of this weekend and then to get onto the multiple units next week :)

Peter C

Established Member
Just to update everyone I have now completed the data entry for all diesel locomotives so the site is complete up to the Class 70 fleet. I have split the 66's down into their sub classes to keep things tidy - let me know if this is a preference for people or whether you'd prefer all of the fleet together. Also, worth noting that the Class 66-Class 70 fleet is up to date to within the last 24 hours - all classes will eventually be brought up to date but you may find some information slightly out of date in some sections until I have got all locos loaded up. Feel free to drop me a message if you see any detail that you believe to have changed recently.

There is also now a 'Site News' section which can be accessed via the buttons at the bottom of the home page (or through the 'Home' tab at the top). This is where I will keep everyone updated with any changes made to the site on a particular day. You will also notice a 'Railway News' button (that doesn't yet work) next to the Site News button and this will be where I will list changes to locos. I will probably look to activate this section once everything else is updated.

Plan is to have the locos completed by the end of this weekend and then to get onto the multiple units next week :)

All sounds really good! I like the addition of the Class 66s in their sub fleets - maybe having some sort of search feature would be a good addition? Some of the 66s aren't in the sub-class you'd expect them to be in - e.g. 66xyz might be in sub-class a or similar. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that the third digit of the TOPS number doesn't necessarily equal the sub-class number, which makes things a bit tricky! :D

That news section sounds good - I think it will be useful for updates to go on there as well so then people can see what's already on the site and then what's to come as well.

-Peter :D

The_Train

Established Member
All sounds really good! I like the addition of the Class 66s in their sub fleets - maybe having some sort of search feature would be a good addition? Some of the 66s aren't in the sub-class you'd expect them to be in - e.g. 66xyz might be in sub-class a or similar. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that the third digit of the TOPS number doesn't necessarily equal the sub-class number, which makes things a bit tricky! :D

That news section sounds good - I think it will be useful for updates to go on there as well so then people can see what's already on the site and then what's to come as well.

-Peter :D

Obviously there is the search function at the top of each grid but that only searches for data within that particular table. I am looking at options for a site-wide search function - ideally I would want people to be able to search a number from anywhere on the site and be taken to the data for it but I need to do more digging to see if that is possible. That said, I have tried to keep it simple with regards to the 66's by putting them into classes as per the 3rd digit of their TOPS number.

Just going back to the search function on each class (for everyone, not just Peter ;) ) - for those who haven't tried it you can search by using any information. For example on the class 67 fleet, if you wanted to just find the locos that are part of the Transport for Wales fleet then just type 'Transport for Wales' (or any variation of it ie just 'Wales' would work) into the search and you will just see the 67's operated by those or if you'd seen a 67 whilst out and knew it was in the royal colours and had seen it was named 'Queens Messenger' but didn't know the number you could type in 'royal queens' into the search function and it would pick out the word Royal from the livery and Queens from the name and lead you to 67005. Just something to consider to help with finding specific information quicker without the need for scrolling through the full fleet list :)

Peter C

Established Member
Obviously there is the search function at the top of each grid but that only searches for data within that particular table. I am looking at options for a site-wide search function - ideally I would want people to be able to search a number from anywhere on the site and be taken to the data for it but I need to do more digging to see if that is possible. That said, I have tried to keep it simple with regards to the 66's by putting them into classes as per the 3rd digit of their TOPS number.

Just going back to the search function on each class (for everyone, not just Peter ;) ) - for those who haven't tried it you can search by using any information. For example on the class 67 fleet, if you wanted to just find the locos that are part of the Transport for Wales fleet then just type 'Transport for Wales' (or any variation of it ie just 'Wales' would work) into the search and you will just see the 67's operated by those or if you'd seen a 67 whilst out and knew it was in the royal colours and had seen it was named 'Queens Messenger' but didn't know the number you could type in 'royal queens' into the search function and it would pick out the word Royal from the livery and Queens from the name and lead you to 67005. Just something to consider to help with finding specific information quicker without the need for scrolling through the full fleet list :)
Ah - cool. :)
The first way I thought of making a site-wide search system work would be to have a database of all of the engines and units on the site, and then when the user searches for something, it performs an SQL query on the database, returning the link for the page which includes the desired engine/unit? That might not be possible, though, using Wix - but I'm not sure.

-Peter :)

Murray J

Thanks :) Feel free to offer any suggestions if you have any.

at the moment my only suggestion is the addition of a search bar and liveries for the class 69s, and I can DM you the details of at least some of the class 69 liveries. really pleased with the class 66-70 section!

The_Train

Established Member
at the moment my only suggestion is the addition of a search bar and liveries for the class 69s, and I can DM you the details of at least some of the class 69 liveries. really pleased with the class 66-70 section!

I didn't realise the 69 liveries had been announced - if you have the information and are willing to share then please feel free to PM me :)

Murray J

I didn't realise the 69 liveries had been announced - if you have the information and are willing to share then please feel free to PM me :)
ah no I mean the current liveries, to my knowledge all of them are destined for GBRF livery for the moment, do you still want the info?

Tony2

A very worthwhile project, the website is looking good. I always found Motive Power books frustrating as scrapped locos and units dropped off the lists so it was impossible to record everything you had seen historically. So about 25 years ago I decided to build my own database including all diesel and electric locos and units. I have all the raw data for all loco renumberings. All DMUs are recorded with cars linked to sets where applicable. Even 1st gen railbuses are all done. I have the bulk of EMUs apart from some 1st gen SR EMUs I still need to complete and some of the newest classes I haven't found source data for. Co-incidentally I named it Rail-Log! It is on a Lotus Aporoach platform which I still find very versatile even today. I haven't included Depot allocations but current status is included i.e. Running, scrapped preserved etc. Of course nothing is perfect and I found it impractical to document the set every unit car was formed into through its existence so I just listed the last one which fitted nicely into preservation. If you would like a copy for reference only then get in touch. I've only ever used this personally so have never faced any copyright issue and am unsure of any copyright law so it would be provided on the understanding this was as a checklist only. As mentioned elsewhere it is pulled together from any source publically available. I'll post some screenshots later.

The_Train

Established Member
Just a quick update - on the back of @Peter C and @Murray J's suggestion regarding a more 'global' search function, I have managed to seek out some Wix specific support on this matter so I am currently looking into options for this. The good news is that it appears to be possible, it may just require a bit of a rebuild of how the data is currently shown. On this basis, I am going to hold fire with adding the remaining locomotives (and progressing onto the multiple units) until I have resolved this as it seems daft to do so knowing that it may have to be replaced anyway. The data is ready to go so if anyone does have any urgent need for info regarding any loco from the Class 71-Class 92 fleets then feel free to PM me

A very worthwhile project, the website is looking good. I always found Motive Power books frustrating as scrapped locos and units dropped off the lists so it was impossible to record everything you had seen historically. So about 25 years ago I decided to build my own database including all diesel and electric locos and units. I have all the raw data for all loco renumberings. All DMUs are recorded with cars linked to sets where applicable. Even 1st gen railbuses are all done. I have the bulk of EMUs apart from some 1st gen SR EMUs I still need to complete and some of the newest classes I haven't found source data for. Co-incidentally I named it Rail-Log! It is on a Lotus Aporoach platform which I still find very versatile even today. I haven't included Depot allocations but current status is included i.e. Running, scrapped preserved etc. Of course nothing is perfect and I found it impractical to document the set every unit car was formed into through its existence so I just listed the last one which fitted nicely into preservation. If you would like a copy for reference only then get in touch. I've only ever used this personally so have never faced any copyright issue and am unsure of any copyright law so it would be provided on the understanding this was as a checklist only. As mentioned elsewhere it is pulled together from any source publically available. I'll post some screenshots later.

25 years of information is quite the resource Tony, very impressive work. I started my own personal database (which has been the catalyst for this project) on the basis that I was struggling to find everything I wanted in one place, so similar reasoning to yourself.

I suspect that your database could be a massive help to this project going forward, particularly when I start to look to add older stock which in a lot of cases may not even exist anymore. If you are happy to share with me, then feel free to PM me details :)

Tony2

Hi The_Train, pm sent.

Here's some screenshots of my Lotus Approach Rail-Log database as promised.

Firstly the record input page, this is for personal sightings and starts off as a blank database raillog.dbf

Capacity to store haulage and photo details also.

Keep an eye on DMU 79960....

1 record input page.jpg

This shows a list of all sightings and can be sorted by date, number etc. 79960 third record from the top:

2 personal sightings.jpg

The Stock books are held in separate linked databases, these contain the raw data that you would be interested in, this one is dmunos.dbf which can be printed out to form your own books. Number seen is identified by a black dot to the right of the number. Preserved and cut up units shown and car type is recorded (Driving Motor Second). Class details shown above numbers linked in classlog.dbf.

3 stock books.jpg

This is a renumberings page I created in the personal records database, it connects to the loconos.dbf database and lists each of the renumberings of a particular loco which would be of use to you:

4 renumbering page.jpg

This is what the raw data looks like in loconos.dbf, I'd intended to input sub classes but never got around to it:

5 raw data.jpg

The_Train

Established Member
Hi The_Train, pm sent.

Here's some screenshots of my Lotus Approach Rail-Log database as promised.

Firstly the record input page, this is for personal sightings and starts off as a blank database raillog.dbf

Capacity to store haulage and photo details also.

Keep an eye on DMU 79960....

View attachment 79820

This shows a list of all sightings and can be sorted by date, number etc. 79960 third record from the top:

View attachment 79821

The Stock books are held in separate linked databases, these contain the raw data that you would be interested in, this one is dmunos.dbf which can be printed out to form your own books. Number seen is identified by a black dot to the right of the number. Preserved and cut up units shown and car type is recorded (Driving Motor Second). Class details shown above numbers linked in classlog.dbf.

View attachment 79822

This is a renumberings page I created in the personal records database, it connects to the loconos.dbf database and lists each of the renumberings of a particular loco which would be of use to you:

View attachment 79823

This is what the raw data looks like in loconos.dbf, I'd intended to input sub classes but never got around to it:

View attachment 79824

I've just got round to your PM (apologies again for the time taken to respond).
As I said in the PM, I have to say that your database looks very impressive - clearly a lot of work has gone into it :)

The_Train

Established Member
Just a quick update - on the back of @Peter C and @Murray J's suggestion regarding a more 'global' search function, I have managed to seek out some Wix specific support on this matter so I am currently looking into options for this. The good news is that it appears to be possible, it may just require a bit of a rebuild of how the data is currently shown. On this basis, I am going to hold fire with adding the remaining locomotives (and progressing onto the multiple units) until I have resolved this as it seems daft to do so knowing that it may have to be replaced anyway. The data is ready to go so if anyone does have any urgent need for info regarding any loco from the Class 71-Class 92 fleets then feel free to PM me

Following on from this, I have spent the last week rebuilding the structure of the website and I have just gone live with it so feel free to check it out and let me know how it looks (I still have the previous layout saved in the background in case I need to revert back). This is stage 1 of the process to activate a search function that will search for everything from any page within the site so as it stands there is no search function available but hopefully that will be rectified in the coming days.

You will also notice that I have now added all of the electric locomotives (well the ones that still exits anyway) so the locomotive section is complete in that respect. However, please note that not all information is bang up to date as I have not had the time to be doing that at the same time as restructuring the layout. I will look to do that once I have the search feature in place - keep remembering that it is work in progress at the moment :D I have also added a few extra columns to each table so let me know what you think of those as well.

One thing I would like some immediate feedback on is with regards to the information I include in the 'Notes' section of each class. Is keeping backdated information regarding when a loco goes in and out of storage pools of interest or would it be fine to just incorporate the most recent change in this regard? I mean (as an example), would anyone really have any reason to want to know if a loco was in store (especially if it was just a matter of days as seems to be happening during the covid crisis) 5 years ago? The reason I ask this is because, as you will see, some locos notes sections are already bulging with info along the lines of 'went into storage', 'reinstated to active pool' (see class 90 if you want an example) and I don't want to keep adding to it if it is not really of any major importance compared to a change of operator or livery.

Next update will hopefully be the addition of a search function and once that is in place I can get all of the locos up to date and then begin work on the multiple unit sections

Tony2

Looking excellent now the data has been populated.

My personal thoughts on storage status are to show only the latest, I came to the same conclusions about the data files becoming huge so I decided to show only the last unit set a car was formed into and not every set it was in during its lifetime.

A few points if you are interested (not sure if you are finished with this particular data yet), you could add 70099 to the list of class 70s as it actually carried that number for a while, new number is of course 70801. 70012 still exists and is repaired in America, how about adding that one also with a status of Exported? I believe (unless someone knows better) that 87201 was never carried by 90001 so wouldn't advise adding that previous number.

Is the sub-class auto generated from the third number of the locomotive? I'm wondering if 66001-250 could all be shown as 66/0 instead?

I've prepared the Rail-Log Approach files to send to you. Only problem may be filesize, the largest is the loco information which is 47mb but can be zipped to around 19mb.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I believe (unless someone knows better) that 87201 was never carried by 90001 so wouldn't advise adding that previous number.

I believe you are correct that none of them were painted as 87/2, but while under construction at Crewe works, the frames, panels and various other components were marked up as, e.g., 87 201, 87 202, 87 203 etc but I'm not sure that would count has having ever carried the number.

Maybe a footnote somewhere to state that 90 001 to 90 050 were originally planned to be built as 87 201 to 87 250 might be the best way of showing that?

Is the sub-class auto generated from the third number of the locomotive? I'm wondering if 66001-250 could all be shown as 66/0 instead?

No, it isn't. You are correct that 66 001 to 66 250 are all 66/0.

The_Train

Established Member
You won't have seen much happening on the site just recently and that is because I have been working on solving the search issue that was brought up as part of your valued feedback. I am pleased to announce (after many hours of hair pulling and screaming) I have an operational search bar on the site (can be found just above the buttons on the Home Page). 2 points to note with regards to this - 1) I have only thus far set up the search for classes 01, 02 & 03 and 2) Search can only currently be conducted from the search bar on the home page (this will hopefully change to being able to search from any page in the future).

Before I get everything incorporated into the search bar, I thought I would let you check it out so you can let me know what you think of it, whether the data with which you can search is sufficient and the format of the results. Any other feedback is always appreciated as well! I've also set the Class 02 results out differently than the Class 01 and Class 03 results - again let me know if you have any preference between the 2 types of layout.

Hopefully this is what those of you who mentioned a search feature had in mind :) Don't forget that you will only find positive search results for those locos listed under classes 01, 02 & 03 so please use any key information from these classes to test the search out.

As I have spent much of the last couple of weeks working on this search feature, I haven't really focussed on the data side of things. I've noticed quite a bit of good sources of feedback and information posted on here recently so apologies to those who have offered such things to me - I've not been purposely ignoring it, just like to keep my focus on one thing. I will read through the posts on here properly tomorrow and reply accordingly but from the glance I've had tonight there looks to be more great info and ideas so thanks very much for that :)

https://ukraillog.wixsite.com/ukraillog

Last edited:

Tony2

Working fine on a Windows PC, IMO the class 02 format is better with the dividing lines between the fields.

I'm having problems with the search facility on an iPhone, search for 03066 brings up D2953 then the page freezes and get a message saying a problem has occurred, page reloaded.

The_Train

Established Member
Working fine on a Windows PC, IMO the class 02 format is better with the dividing lines between the fields.

I'm having problems with the search facility on an iPhone, search for 03066 brings up D2953 then the page freezes and get a message saying a problem has occurred, page reloaded.

I've not yet looked at the mobile page side of things so I expect that to be non-functioning in most places to be honest. Will let you know when that should be working correctly but wanted to get the desktop site working first.

Thanks for the feedback on the dividing lines as well. It was my gut feeling that this worked better but thought I'd get that feedback anyway

Peter C

Established Member
I had a quick look at the site earlier and I think the search function is really good. Well done. :) I much prefer the Class 02 format.
To get the search function working on all pages (as in you can search from all pages), you could probably put the search bar in the header or footer of the site instead of just on one page. The header is the bit where the menu is, but I suppose you knew that already. :)

Hope this helps,

-Peter

Tony2

I've not yet looked at the mobile page side of things so I expect that to be non-functioning in most places to be honest. Will let you know when that should be working correctly but wanted to get the desktop site working first.

Thanks for the feedback on the dividing lines as well. It was my gut feeling that this worked better but thought I'd get that feedback anyway

That explains the iPhone issue, thanks.

The_Train

Established Member
Evening all. Thanks to those who offered feedback on the dividing lines - these are now incorporated into all results.
I have also played around with the coding on the search bar and you can now initiate any search by using the 'Enter' key on your keyboard as well as hitting the magnifying glass search button. Also, the button to return you home on the Results page now takes you directly back to the search bar on the Home Page to make things a little quicker for a new search.

Search criteria has been increased from just Number, Operator and Livery to Number, Previous Number, Operator, Livery, Name, Depot & Status. Also, Class 01-Class 08 are now available within the search function - hoping to have all of the locos within the search function by the end of the weekend

xotGD

Established Member
You've done a grand job Mr Train.

One suggestion - for locos that are shown as Preserved, might it be possible to split between Operational and Non-Operational? I appreciate that this sort of information isn't always easily obtainable.

The_Train

Established Member
Finally got a bit of time to catch up on some of the posts on here and answer some of your points....

My personal thoughts on storage status are to show only the latest, I came to the same conclusions about the data files becoming huge so I decided to show only the last unit set a car was formed into and not every set it was in during its lifetime.

I agree. I have added a 'Latest News' column which now carries the last bit of information relating to any changes and changed Notes to 'Static Notes' which I can use for any permanent information which may be important to a particular loco/unit.

A few points if you are interested (not sure if you are finished with this particular data yet), you could add 70099 to the list of class 70s as it actually carried that number for a while, new number is of course 70801. 70012 still exists and is repaired in America, how about adding that one also with a status of Exported? I believe (unless someone knows better) that 87201 was never carried by 90001 so wouldn't advise adding that previous number.

I have added 70099 as a previous number to 70012.
I have also added 70012 to the list - not sure why I missed that off in the first place to be honest!
I have removed 87201 as a previous number to 90001 as I think you are correct. Original plans for the 90's were to classify them as 87/2 but don't think it ever reached TOPS

It's not auto-generated as such, but it is the way I have decided to generate the class 66's. It's really for ease of use for everyone as not everyone carries the same level of knowledge when it comes to the railways. I, for one, would probably be hunting for a 66/2 sub-class if I required information on a loco numbered 662** without considering that officially they could be in a 66/0 sub-class. There won't be too many classes divided up in this manner anyway so I just felt it the best way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.