• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AbRail website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
I believe you are correct that none of them were painted as 87/2, but while under construction at Crewe works, the frames, panels and various other components were marked up as, e.g., 87 201, 87 202, 87 203 etc but I'm not sure that would count has having ever carried the number.

Maybe a footnote somewhere to state that 90 001 to 90 050 were originally planned to be built as 87 201 to 87 250 might be the best way of showing that?

No, it isn't. You are correct that 66 001 to 66 250 are all 66/0.

Thanks for the info Peter. I've covered my thoughts on both of these issues in response to Tony above :)

I had a quick look at the site earlier and I think the search function is really good. Well done. :) I much prefer the Class 02 format.
To get the search function working on all pages (as in you can search from all pages), you could probably put the search bar in the header or footer of the site instead of just on one page. The header is the bit where the menu is, but I suppose you knew that already. :)

Hope this helps,

-Peter

Thanks Peter. The search bar will be moved eventually but I think I will leave it for now until search is fully operational across all classes.

You've done a grand job Mr Train.

One suggestion - for locos that are shown as Preserved, might it be possible to split between Operational and Non-Operational? I appreciate that this sort of information isn't always easily obtainable.

Thanks Mr GD. Just trying to keep busy haha.
Great suggestion on the preservation side of things. I have lots of options for the preserved status but all revolve around when a loco isn't operational for whatever reason. Never thought of having one for operational locos so I have now added it to the database. It won't be something that is updated for a while though as I want to get all of the mainline info as up to date as possible before trying to locate info regarding preserved stock. The bigger lines tend to keep this sort of info updated on their websites, but the smaller lines don't so I might have to be getting in touch with them to see if they have any helpful volunteers willing to provide the info to me.

As a side note to everyone, if anyone has any links to heritage lines and can keep me updated on status of preserved locos on the line then please drop me a message :)

So this is where you're hanging out these days Mr. Train :)
I thought you'd gone onto pastures new.
Nice website methinks!

Thanks Strat! No trip reports to write so needed to find other avenues to keep me entertained :)

The_Train

Established Member
Just as a quick Sunday afternoon update, I have fallen behind on getting the search to cover all locos so that won't be completed by the end of this weekend. I've been reverting the table formats back to the original ones I used - turns out that it wasn't necessary to change them to get the search function working and I find the original ones easier for me to update and also more user friendly as they have the sort and search functions on each table.

Back to getting the search function fully operational now...…...

Tony2

The project was completed successfully at Bo'ness and the DVT is now considered as a class 19 locomotive. Here is a video of it operating under its own power, looks very weird to see one of these self- propelling!

This is absolutely new to me. What became of the project as the last update on the wiki page you linked to was for commissioning in 2018 and then nothing since?

The_Train

Established Member
Evening folks, a little update.

The search function is now at around 90% complete. After searching on the Home Page and being sent to the results page, you will now see a filter box at the top. This allows you to nail down your search to the particular section - ie a search on the Home Page for '07' will initially return all that have 07 as their class but also any others who have 07 as a combination within their number. Filtering this to a 'Class' search on the results page will then just show all which have 07 as their class. The remaining 10% I have to do is to have the filter on the Home Page so you can filter as you search instead of afterwards and then get the search bar onto every page so you don't have to keep going back to the Home Page for a new search - hopefully this will be sorted soon!

All locos listed are now available in the search section as well.

Also, for the first time I can confirm that all of the mainline stuff is fully up to date as of Sunday 12th in respect of current status (the only mainline stock I don't have regular info on is the HST power cars) and hopefully there will be another update completed at some point tomorrow and then this will hopefully allow me to kickstart the 'Railway News' section so you can see how I plan to do that. My plan is to try and do these updates every 2-3 days max. Before I move onto the units, I want to get the heritage stocks as up to date as I can (subject to detail available on their websites) so will hopefully be working on that tomorrow.

Oh and as per info from @Tony2 above, the Class 19 has been added to the site - thanks to him for that :)

A submit form to send any changes you know of will be coming to the site at some point but, for now, if you see any data you feel is incorrect then please drop me a PM on here, reply to this thread or email me at [email protected] and let me know what the info relates to and how you have come to the conclusion it is incorrect :)

Finally the Site News section is updated to include all recent updates so check them out. And I think that is everything for now.....

On Moderation
All 54 of the ScotRail HST power cars are in the ScotRail I7C livery. They are also all allocated to Haymarket, none are based at Craigentinny.

The_Train

Established Member
All 54 of the ScotRail HST power cars are in the ScotRail I7C livery. They are also all allocated to Haymarket, none are based at Craigentinny.

Thanks for that, I will get it updated when I do the next full update later.
Are all 54 classed as operational or are any in short-term or long-term store at present do you know?

On Moderation
Thanks for that, I will get it updated when I do the next full update later.
Are all 54 classed as operational or are any in short-term or long-term store at present do you know?
All are operational as far as I know. ScotRail also have off-lease 43018 as a source of spares at Haymarket.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I am trying to search for GBRf locos. I get a short list of class 92s. Clicking show more brings up some heritage shunters, while trying to filter by Operator briefly brings up a list of GBRf locos , but I only get to see some shunters as a few seconds later it takes me back to the home page.

Ho hum :s :)

The_Train

Established Member
All are operational as far as I know. ScotRail also have off-lease 43018 as a source of spares at Haymarket.

All amended in the latest update that I have just completed (including the addition of 43018 to the SR fleet)

Edit: Apologies @43096 I should have added my thanks to that last message - very rude of me so apologies for that. Thanks a lot for your input on that, greatly appreciated :)

The_Train

Established Member
I am trying to search for GBRf locos. I get a short list of class 92s. Clicking show more brings up some heritage shunters, while trying to filter by Operator briefly brings up a list of GBRf locos , but I only get to see some shunters as a few seconds later it takes me back to the home page.

Are you doing this on the desktop or mobile site?

The_Train

Established Member
Updated the mainline stock with changes that have occurred since Sunday and the Railway News section is now live and can be accessed from the button on the Home Page

Tony2

I'm finding something similar on Windows 10/Chrome, however the first find on GBRf starts with class 73s, then clicking show more and a page starting with class 01 appears.

Having a look at your loco category groupings I'd advise moving class 15 and 17 out of the shunters section and moving these into the class 19- 37 diesels section where they are more appropriate?

The_Train

Established Member
Desktop, Chrome.
I'm finding something similar on Windows 10/Chrome, however the first find on GBRf starts with class 73s, then clicking show more and a page starting with class 01 appears.

Having a look at your loco category groupings I'd advise moving class 15 and 17 out of the shunters section and moving these into the class 19- 37 diesels section where they are more appropriate?

The search needs a bit more work with regards to the sorting of the information in the first instance. It seems to be slightly all over the place when you first search but sorts itself out when you use the filter system.

I did a search from the Home Page for "gbrf" and then on the results page I then filtered to 'Operator' in the dropdown menu and this then organised everything in class order. I was then able to use the 'Show More' button to head through all locos that are listed as operated by GBRf.

I'm a little bit perplexed with regards to your issue of finding yourself being automatically redirected to the Home Page @Strat-tastic - that is definitely not happening for me and I am using Chrome as well :s I'd definitely like to hear if anyone else is suffering the same issue on Chrome or any other desktop browser (we seem to have found the source of this issue.....)

Were the Class 15 and 17 not used as depot/industrial shunters @Tony2? Both classes came and went long before my time so I am not particularly clued up on them to be honest

Last edited:

Tony2

Classes 15, 16 and 17 were all main line locomotives, class 17 even worked a fair selection of passenger trains in Scotland:

Their use was similar to class 20.

Class 01-13 were the true shunters, class 14 could be termed a shunter as well but they were powerful enough to also work trip freights around the Western Region.

Were the Class 15 and 17 not used as depot/industrial shunters @Tony2? Both classes came and went long before my time so I am not particularly clued up on them to be honest

Last edited:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Ok tried again. Search GBRf gets locos starting with 73s. Clicking Show More goes to heritage shunters.

Filtering GBRf by Operator gives correct locos. I had been clicking the New Search button without reading it properly thinking it would apply the filter; that's why I got back to the home page. Oops; my bag! :oops:

I think that there are too many clicks involved in bring up GBRf 66s, which is what I was interested in. You have to keep clicking Show More which only gives a few at a time.

I hope I don't sound too critical Mr. Train, just describing my situation. I think it's a useful resource and well done for putting the time in for us to enjoy it :)

The_Train

Established Member
Ok tried again. Search GBRf gets locos starting with 73s. Clicking Show More goes to heritage shunters.

Filtering GBRf by Operator gives correct locos. I had been clicking the New Search button without reading it properly thinking it would apply the filter; that's why I got back to the home page. Oops; my bag! :oops:

I think that there are too many clicks involved in bring up GBRf 66s, which is what I was interested in. You have to keep clicking Show More which only gives a few at a time.

I hope I don't sound too critical Mr. Train, just describing my situation. I think it's a useful resource and well done for putting the time in for us to enjoy it :)

Constructive criticism is what I am looking for Strat, so don't feel that you are ever being too critical as long as it is constructive :) Simply telling me it is rubbish and a waste of time would hurt a little more ;)

Onto the main parts of your post and I have yet again been working behind the scenes having read your post above. With regards to the first bit you mention about the GBRf search bringing up 73s first - this is now corrected so that a GBRf search now brings up GB locos in class order (and hopefully this occurs with any search now). Unfortunately, I am still working on solving the issue of the search seemingly resetting itself when bringing more data up unless a filter is applied (ie a GB search will show 12 results but if you go through the load more process without having used the filter dropdown it then shows everything from Class 01 onwards instead of just continuing to show the next batch of GB locos). Until I have sorted this, you will just have to ensure you use a filter when you have searched.

I can also see how the 'New Search' button could be misconstrued as the button to activate search after using the dropdown filter so I have moved it to above the search bar/dropdown menu - if you have any suggestions with regards to better wording of that button to avoid further confusion then please feel free to suggest as I am struggling to think of anything - "Return Home for New Search" is as good as it's got in my mind.....

I take your point regarding the number of clicks using the 'Load More' button so I have removed it altogether. I have now set it up so that the load more occurs as you scroll, so now when you reach the bottom of the page you should see it start to load and then show the next batch of data - if you can spare some time to offer feedback on this change then it would be appreciated.

The data shown is currently limited to batches of 12 and I have kept it at this at present to maintain a sound speed within the search function - I've seen a few comments mentioning that this side of Wix can be slightly problematic, although I've not fully researched what sort of expectations these people having the speed issues have on their particular site - for all I know they could be wanting search results in the hundreds at a time! The issue I have is that I don't have broadband at home, instead choosing to make use of an unlimited 4G plan and hotspotting my internet from my phone. This works well for what I require of the internet but it does mean that I lack the ability to do any serious stress testing with regards to speeds. If 12 results is appearing quickly for everybody, then I am happy to increase that to batches of 24 and see if that affects speeds any so just let me know on that.

I think I have covered all of your points here and hopefully the changes make the site more user friendly

The_Train

Established Member
Classes 15, 16 and 17 were all main line locomotives, class 17 even worked a fair selection of passenger trains in Scotland:

Their use was similar to class 20.

Class 01-13 were the true shunters, class 14 could be termed a shunter as well but they were powerful enough to also work trip freights around the Western Region.

Thanks Tony, some great info there. I will look to move the 15, 16 and 17's at some point in the near future - shouldn't be too much of a tricky task to undertake!

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Constructive criticism is what I am looking for Strat, so don't feel that you are ever being too critical as long as it is constructive :) Simply telling me it is rubbish and a waste of time would hurt a little more ;)

Onto the main parts of your post and I have yet again been working behind the scenes having read your post above. With regards to the first bit you mention about the GBRf search bringing up 73s first - this is now corrected so that a GBRf search now brings up GB locos in class order (and hopefully this occurs with any search now). Unfortunately, I am still working on solving the issue of the search seemingly resetting itself when bringing more data up unless a filter is applied (ie a GB search will show 12 results but if you go through the load more process without having used the filter dropdown it then shows everything from Class 01 onwards instead of just continuing to show the next batch of GB locos). Until I have sorted this, you will just have to ensure you use a filter when you have searched.

I can also see how the 'New Search' button could be misconstrued as the button to activate search after using the dropdown filter so I have moved it to above the search bar/dropdown menu - if you have any suggestions with regards to better wording of that button to avoid further confusion then please feel free to suggest as I am struggling to think of anything - "Return Home for New Search" is as good as it's got in my mind.....

I take your point regarding the number of clicks using the 'Load More' button so I have removed it altogether. I have now set it up so that the load more occurs as you scroll, so now when you reach the bottom of the page you should see it start to load and then show the next batch of data - if you can spare some time to offer feedback on this change then it would be appreciated.

The data shown is currently limited to batches of 12 and I have kept it at this at present to maintain a sound speed within the search function - I've seen a few comments mentioning that this side of Wix can be slightly problematic, although I've not fully researched what sort of expectations these people having the speed issues have on their particular site - for all I know they could be wanting search results in the hundreds at a time! The issue I have is that I don't have broadband at home, instead choosing to make use of an unlimited 4G plan and hotspotting my internet from my phone. This works well for what I require of the internet but it does mean that I lack the ability to do any serious stress testing with regards to speeds. If 12 results is appearing quickly for everybody, then I am happy to increase that to batches of 24 and see if that affects speeds any so just let me know on that.

I think I have covered all of your points here and hopefully the changes make the site more user friendly

Wow what a reply ;)

Search works ok now from the start, and autoloading more works ok if slow for me. I could go 50 results at a time. I don't know where the slowness comes in, but I tend to opt for more results on any search I do online.

New search works ok for me now I have sussed it out, and moving it to over the filter makes more sense. Maybe label the filter too?

The_Train

Established Member
Wow what a reply ;)

Search works ok now from the start, and autoloading more works ok if slow for me. I could go 50 results at a time. I don't know where the slowness comes in, but I tend to opt for more results on any search I do online.

New search works ok for me now I have sussed it out, and moving it to over the filter makes more sense. Maybe label the filter too?

I've increased the search results to batches of 24 so nearly half way to your 50 ;) :D

The_Train

Established Member
Just for reference, I have started a new thread for my website as technically discussion regarding my website is off topic on a thread titled 'Abrail website'. For new updates head to UK Rail Log Website

The_Train

Established Member
I'm having problems with the search facility on an iPhone, search for 03066 brings up D2953 then the page freezes and get a message saying a problem has occurred, page reloaded.

I've been sorting out the mobile pages this evening (finally!!) and having done a quick test of everything on my phone, all appears to be working well including the current search function. I'm an Android person so not able to test on the Apple side of things - let me know how you get on if you have a chance to test it on your iPhone :)

Tony2

I've just tried the search on my iPhone, unfortunately the page is still freezing and the same error message is displaying :(

I've been sorting out the mobile pages this evening (finally!!) and having done a quick test of everything on my phone, all appears to be working well including the current search function. I'm an Android person so not able to test on the Apple side of things - let me know how you get on if you have a chance to test it on your iPhone :)

The_Train

Established Member
I've just tried the search on my iPhone, unfortunately the page is still freezing and the same error message is displaying :(

Ok, this may take a bit of investigating.
If you get the time, could you let me know exactly what you typed into the search bar and whether you clicked the search button on screen or used the 'enter' button on the keypad of your phone. Also, which browser you use on your phone as well. This will allow me to replicate your search on my Android to see if the issue repeats for me :)

Tony2

The web browser I'm using is Apple Safari.

Here are screenshots showing the issue, I'm inputting the same search as the first time I experienced this, type 03066 into the search field then press search.

004.PNG005.PNG006.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.