• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Absolute Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomnick

Established Member
Just an idle thought for a Monday evening. What (and where) is the greatest number of successive signal boxes still working AB to each other? Daisyfield to Howe & Co's (via the S&C) is, without checking, twelve - is there an example of a greater number, or a close contender?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Don't think you can get close to that now. Cumbrian Coast must have a good few.

Railsigns

Established Member
I offer the following as possible contenders:

Rockcliffe Hall to Holyhead - 13 consecutive signal boxes

Little Mill Junction to Shrewsbury Crewe Junction (Up direction only) - 16 consecutive signal boxes (was 24 until the recent Shrewsbury - Crewe resignalling)

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Just an idle thought for a Monday evening. What (and where) is the greatest number of successive signal boxes still working AB to each other? Daisyfield to Howe & Co's (via the S&C) is, without checking, twelve - is there an example of a greater number, or a close contender?

I'm assuming that Daisyfield is on the Blackburn to Hellifield line?

Tomnick

Established Member
Ta for the replies all. I've counted 13 on the Cumbrian Coast, Carnforth Station Jn to Sellafield (not via Barrow), but quite a few more if we allow the ETB (?) sections between there and Whitehaven. Little Mill to Shrewsbury sounds like a winner on the original question though - presumably the Moreton to Hereford section is what breaks it on the Up?

Daisyfield is indeed between Hellifield and Blackburn - very close to the latter (in fact, I think his home signal is slotted by Preston PSB as it's also the protecting signal for the junction with the Burnley line?) and working AB to Horrocksford Jn.

Railsigns

Established Member
Little Mill to Shrewsbury sounds like a winner on the original question though - presumably the Moreton to Hereford section is what breaks it on the Up?

Yes: TCB on the Down; AB on the Up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How can you get to Sellafield not via Barrow?

By going via the Dalton Loop.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member

a good off

Little Mill Junction to Shrewsbury Crewe Junction (Down direction only) - 16 consecutive signal boxes (was 24 until the recent Shrewsbury - Crewe resignalling)

Its the UP line only.

a good off

It gets lots of people especially contractors placing detonator protection and warning boards on the wrong line... All lines up to Shrewsbury except when approaching from Wellington.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member

Little Mill Junction to Shrewsbury Crewe Junction (Up direction only) - 16 consecutive signal boxes (was 24 until the recent Shrewsbury - Crewe resignalling)

Is Bangor AB?

Status
Not open for further replies.