• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abuse to the 'Push' buttons on trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Believe me, some punters need it!

They sure do, you wouldn't believe how many people just stare at a HST door expecting it to open or start looking for a handle/button of some description inside.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

It works on the Vienna metro trains, which are built by Siemens, and also some trams that I've been on - wonder if it's only the Siemens boffins that have thought of it?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It works on the Vienna metro trains, which are built by Siemens, and also some trams that I've been on - wonder if it's only the Siemens boffins that have thought of it?
I know it definately works on the 150s, built by BREL, and others have posted on other rolling stock.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I know it definately works on the 150s, built by BREL, and others have posted on other rolling stock.

I think he's referring to the fact that you need only press the button once, and can release it, regardless of whether or not the doors have been unlocked.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I think he's referring to the fact that you need only press the button once, and can release it, regardless of whether or not the doors have been unlocked.

Now I'm getting confused. Are we talking about:

• Press and release the button before the guard releases the doors. The door then opens when released by the guard.
or
  • Press the button before the guard releases the doors, and hold. The door then opens when released by the guard.
or
  • Press the button before the guard releases the doors, and hold. The door does not open when released by the guard: the button must be released and pressed again to do so.

I was thinking of definition 2.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Siemens stock appears to do option 1, which is very handy. Most modern stock have the capability of option 2.

Hyperen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on 323's you can't even hold the button down whilst you wait can you, you have to actually press it after release?

No if you hold the button down the doors will open when the guard unlocks them and the green light comes on.

hotelmode

When I lived in Brisbane 10 years ago you could press the door button anytime the train was moving, the button light would then start to flash to show activation. The door would open as soon as the doors were released by the guard with no futher intervention. Seemed like a good idea 10 yrs ago.

pemma

Veteran Member
On some of Northern's 142s and 150s the lights no longer work on some doors. This means people are likely to assume the lights are broken if the train has been stopped for 10 seconds and they haven't lit up.

But with the placement of the buttons on the 142s the person closest to the door can't see whether the buttons are lit or not without headbutting other passengers first. Often irregular passengers can't even see the buttons to open the doors!

emoaconr

I got on a 150 today, and it was the first one I've seen round these parts with the original blue/white square open door button... aren't these to be phased out in line with disability laws?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I got on a 150 today, and it was the first one I've seen round these parts with the original blue/white square open door button... aren't these to be phased out in line with disability laws?

They're not compliant with latest regulations, so when there's a refurbishment of the units then they'll be redone. I seem to remember seeing them on the valley line 150s quite often. All their pacers got the new circular ones fitted during their refurb under the Valley Lines TOC.

anthonycutt

Oooh, it's slightly off topic but it gives me a chance to tell my favourite story of my rail experience:

One time in 1999 (or possibly 2000) I'd been on a night out to Manchester & had to get the first HST of the morning between Sheffield & Chesterfield (5.40am or something like that). The train pulled into Chesterfield & came to a stop, the Central Locking clicked it's little click, I leant out the door & turned the handle... and nothing happened!

I'm assuming there's a 'master switch' for the doors which they didn't activate. There was no button to push, screaming at the man on the platform was the order of the day. I thought I'd end up in Derby!

DBE

I was on a 321 today, and they let out three ear splitting screeches from a small speaker mounted near the open button, just in case the light doesn't work, or you fail to notice you've arrived at a station.

Although, standing by the doors meant I got several looks from the lesser knowledgeable who thought I'd broken something.

Daimler

Established Member
350s, and by this logic, 450s, 444s and 185s may also do this - if you press the button once before the doors are released, they will open as soon as they are released. Rather handy I think!

I've tried this three times since yesterday (on a /1 and two /2s). It didn't work! :cry::cry::cry:

Is there a trick to it?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've tried this three times since yesterday (on a /1 and two /2s). It didn't work! :cry::cry::cry:

Is there a trick to it?
And interestingly enough I tried holding down the internal button on a 323 yesterday and the doors opened as soon as they were released by the guard. I've done this about 5 times before (although not within the past 6 months) and it's never worked before.

I have held down buttons on 350s too and they don't release the doors.

Pumbaa

Established Member

Is there a trick to it?

I don't think so - I've always done it when the train has come to stop. I'll try tomorrow as well.

fireincairo

On Desiros and 455's I see people ferociously attacking the door buttons as if its going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Oh and people who get up out of their seats long before the train pulls into Waterloo. I laugh when the train gets in and the doors sometimes don't release for another good 30 seconds. All this time i'm still sitting down as comfortably as you can in those trains..

MCR247

Established Member
fireincairo: If your in a rush, and as soon as the doors open you need to sprint down the platform, then its wise to get to the doors first

jopsuk

Veteran Member
coming into Cambridge I'm always amused by people who're up and by the doors as the train passes Addenbrookes Hospital. Even if the path is clear, the train I normally get can take around three minutes to get to its platform. If anything is late running, and the train gets held at the signal, five minutes plus is not uncommon.

I've even seen people get up as the train pulls out of Shelford.

I'm not even talking tourists, who can't know better.

pemma

Veteran Member

They remain on all the ex-First North Western 150s. They are more in line with disability laws than the buttons on the 142s, which also have a double step and non-wheelchair accessible toilet.

Bittern

Established Member
Once, my train was pulling into Rutherglen on a peak-time morning Larkhall - Dalmuir service. It wasn't actually stopping at Rutherglen itself, but at the signal, and I was quite amused b the people on the platform who were trying to push the door buttons to open the train thinking that the train was stopped at the station. Then the train pulled away without letting anyone on or off.

Then it had to let us off because the service had been cancelled.

Stacey

Our 159 buttons have the same problem especially at Salisbury when we're having a unit attached. The pax are hitting the buttons really worried they can't get off (despite the TM and Digi Doris telling there'll be a delay!) - mind you, on the other side of that was a woman in a massive flap the other day as she 'had to get home and feed her dog' - she was over carried by 3 (yes, three!!) stops as she'd been pressing the internal 'open' button rather than the door 'open' button at every station stop!! What planet are these people on?!?!
Or, just one more pillock, chap and family didn't listen and were in the wrong part of the train for Clapham (short platform gen) they zoom up to the end of the coach (as we were stopped) and he took so long to work out how to open the door they couldn't get off the train and were RA Waterloo!! This chap stood at the door, searching, then waving at the sensor for a bit before I said 'button to the right...' and after nearly going for the emergency green box he found it (by golly he's got it!!) but alas.... Buzz Buzz....!!

So does almost every other EMU I've ever been on. 334, 320, and while I'ven ot been on it, the Pendolino does too.

Yeah, but the 318 does it from inside the train, so as you are standing at the doors you are deafened by the TWANG! TWANG! TWANG! 334's for instance have that sound on the outside and for the closing door sound they have a soft peep-peep-peep-peep-peep-peep that doesn't tear your eardrums in half.

314s have a quieter but more steady BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP as the doors are closing and to the person who asked... no the doors can't be opened individually, it's all or nothing. Nor have they ever been refurbished. Ever. I quite like them though. Nothing better than being in one on the Inverclyde line on an express service, listening to the wind outside and the loud AC hum of the traction motor, as the driver slams it into notch 4 desperately hoping that it will keep to the speed limit. :lol:

LONG LIVE 314s and kill all 320s and 318s!!!

Bittern

Established Member
318s kick ass. I always prefer boarding them to the 334s simply because of the tables, and when thundering through Cambuslang on a Larkhall - Dalmuir service, it just feels good.

The_Stig

Yeah, but the 318 does it from inside the train, so as you are standing at the doors you are deafened by the TWANG! TWANG! TWANG! 334's for instance have that sound on the outside and for the closing door sound they have a soft peep-peep-peep-peep-peep-peep that doesn't tear your eardrums in half.

314s have a quieter but more steady BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP as the doors are closing and to the person who asked... no the doors can't be opened individually, it's all or nothing. Nor have they ever been refurbished. Ever. I quite like them though. Nothing better than being in one on the Inverclyde line on an express service, listening to the wind outside and the loud AC hum of the traction motor, as the driver slams it into notch 4 desperately hoping that it will keep to the speed limit. :lol:

LONG LIVE 314s and kill all 320s and 318s!!!

Watching the 314'd depart Glasgow central is a sight, they would whoop any other train! The seem to just be able to rocket straight away.

As for the kill 320's- NO! I quite like them, they have a 'gentler' hummm than the one from the 314's. The 318's go ahead. I am dreading the day the Balloch service is serviced by them and the 334's :'( :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.