• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Acceleration rates of U.K. MUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
Using a claimed 'acceleration rate is misleading, as no train maintains a fixed acceleration rate across the speed range. Probably the class 91's seem to have the most linear speed vs time graph up to 100mph compared to other stock.
And two trains that appear to accelerate in the same time to a specific speed - say 60mph - can display different characteristics in achieving that speed.

One of the issues overlooked by many - are the effects of low-speed restrictions over junctions and turnouts into station platforms. A 2 or 3 car train can clear the low-speed restriction and start accelerating much earlier. A much longer - say 12 car - train may have superior acceleration but the driver has to wait until the rear of the train clears the speed restriction. - By which time the slower accelerating train is already off in the distance.
That is why 2-car 158's set faster station to station times than HST's between certain stations in Cornwall and Scotland.

I've recently been comparing in close detail - the performance of Class 90's vs HST's and 91's on the ECML stopping services. Taking Peterborough to Grantham as an example - a Class 90's superior low speed acceleration to 110mph puts it far enough ahead of both a Class 91 and an HST, that it takes the HST and the 91 almost until Stoke Tunnel from a Peterborough start to be level pegging with the 91. And at that point the speed limit drops to 115mph , so quite astonishingly, the 90 can achieve an almost identical station to station timing despite a 15mph deficit in top speed.

On a route with differing speed limits and distances between station stops, you have to look at how each type of traction will fare on each section. But sometimes even that is irrelevant. Station dwell times / passenger loading and unloading can make a bigger difference during busy times than good acceleration! Although people hate the former london Underground D stock, there has barely been a better case for what i witnessed as a slick station dwell operation. The doors would open instantly as soon as the train had reached the station. and from the moment the doors had closed, the train was under power and accelerating away. Class 378s in comparison seem to suffer a delay between the train stopping and the doors opening, and a similar delay between the doors closing and train actually starting to move. From a passenger perspective the 378, despite being a faster accelerating train seemed slower along the route!

Timetabling is another issue. the current GWR timetable shows what happens when too much slack is in the timetable. Trains leaving London arrive at Reading too early and cannot get into the station because the platforms are still occupied by trains that have not yet reached their planned departure slot.
All the customer knows, is that he is sitting in the middle of nowhere wondering why his train has stopped - and maybe starting to panic as to whether there is a problem.

Having recently spent a lot of time at Peterborough and Doncaster recently, i saw the effect of not having enough platforms, plus the problems caused by there being too many flat junctions. The Sheffield services at Doncaster have to cross the down main line from Platform 3 - usually causing a down fast train to be sitting outside the station waiting for the stopper to cross over and the junction to clear. how many times have i been on a down train crawling into Doncaster? And when i check the open train times map - there is a train sitting ahead of us in the platform!

At Peterborough trains coming into the up main platform seem to always end up arriving on cautionary signals - which slows down the station to station time - without there seeming to be any conflicting traffic around.
Operationally - it would make sense to allow stopping trains should be able to approach the platform at the same speeds as if the platform starter was at green. That would seemingly speed up journeys and cause less delay! A more advanced safety system such as the French KVB would probably be required to supervise the braking curve. I guess we will have to wait for ECTS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

keith1879

150hp for most 1st Gen DMMUs. And the technical top speed was 65.5mph in 4th gear.

From the graph above it seems to take over 300 seconds (about 310 it looks like) to reach top speed.

Most 1st gen DMU power cars had 2 x 150hp engines.
Thus-
the typical two coach power trailer set had 300hp
power twins had 600hp (normally destined for hilly areas)
three car sets had 600hp
four car sets (2 intermediate trailers) also had 600hp.

There were many exceptions to these "rules".
Calder Valley sets were three coaches with 720hp (4 x 180)

Sprinters did indeed provide a noticeable improvement in acceleration - shame that (in my purely personal opinion) they seemed so shut in.

(Edited for spelling).

AM9

Veteran Member
Given that this thread is discussing aspect of train perfromance that directly or indirectly drives minimum headways and consequently line capacity, a very slightly off-topic diversion would be about deceleration, as in braking. Does anybody here have figures (in g or m/s/s) for nominal service, full service and emergency braking rates. I assume that service braking would be different for local stoppers vs long-distance high-speed services, but knowing the practical and limit constraints on headways might be interesting. I'm sure that such information is needed to create some of the more intensive commuter working timetables on the UK railway.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Most 1st gen DMU power cars had 2 x 150hp engines.
Thus-
the typical two coach power trailer set had 300hp
power twins had 600hp (normally destined for hilly areas)
three car sets had 600hp
four car sets (2 intermediate trailers) also had 600hp.

There were many exceptions to these "rules".
Calder Valley sets were three coaches with 720hp (4 x 180)

Sprinters did indeed provide a noticeable improvement in acceleration - shame that (in my purely personal opinion) they seemed so shut in.

(Edited for spelling).

For a period after the Ayr depot fire there were a lot of very mixed DMU formations in Strathclyde including a 3-car 101 set with only ONE power car! It was officially limited to local services to Barrhead/East Kilbride unless working in a six-car formation.

Given that this thread is discussing aspect of train perfromance that directly or indirectly drives minimum headways and consequently line capacity, a very slightly off-topic diversion would be about deceleration, as in braking. Does anybody here have figures (in g or m/s/s) for nominal service, full service and emergency braking rates. I assume that service braking would be different for local stoppers vs long-distance high-speed services, but knowing the practical and limit constraints on headways might be interesting. I'm sure that such information is needed to create some of the more intensive commuter working timetables on the UK railway.

Tread brakes - Full service & emergency average deceleration - 7%g
Disc brakes - Full service - 9%g, on units with enhanced emergency braking, emergency provides 12%g deceleration.

AM9

Veteran Member
... Tread brakes - Full service & emergency average deceleration - 7%g
Disc brakes - Full service - 9%g, on units with enhanced emergency braking, emergency provides 12%g deceleration.
Thanks for that. Do I assume that trains with electro-rheostatic or electro-regenerative braking have the same service braking retardation but it is smoother and a lot less stressful to the suspension/mechanical brakes, (especially tread brakes)?
At least for the Eversholt fleets, this should do the trick
https://eversholtrail.co.uk/fleet/

Quite a difference between the 195 and 331 fleets - maximum acceleration of 0.83m/s/s and 1.3m/s/s (respectively). It's worth noting that is a maximum figure (which is the steepest gradient on the graphs on those links), generally up to 20-25mph. Interestingly the 397 figure is 0.92m/s/s.

About 100s for the 195 to reach 60mph vs 35s for the 331 to reach 100kph. Quite why the graph for one is in mph and the other kph I'm not sure
Just taken a look at the Eversholt link, - interesting curve on the 5-car class 802s in Electric mode. If the curve was typical then it is a mistake. If it is from a measured run it looks like it ripped the knitting down at just under 200km/h. :)

superkev

Established Member
unlikely. the top speed of 1st gen DMU's was only 70mph, and the power plants were quite a measly 180BHP in most cases.
I'd be surprised if they got over 0.5m/s/s
Its gen dmus came on several different flavours. The power twins where the most powerful with 4 150 or 180hp engines for 2 cars with the power with trailer being the slowest. They were however much lighter than modern heavyweights so my fav dmu, the 3 car Rolls Royce powered Calder valley 110 units, would easily keep sprinter times.
The worst were the Class 111 twins where some over promoted bean counter removed half the engines. I seem to remember Manchester had a similar crippled class 104.
May be of interest.
K

Railperf

Established Member
London Underground braking on open air sections under ATO seems to be around 5%G.
A Javelin driver friend tells me they are advised to stay well within maximum braking capacity. He claims to use no more than 50% braking capacity as a rule while he acknowledges other drivers may use more braking power.

Railperf

Established Member
Thanks for that. Do I assume that trains with electro-rheostatic or electro-regenerative braking have the same service braking retardation but it is smoother and a lot less stressful to the suspension/mechanical brakes, (especially tread brakes)?

Just taken a look at the Eversholt link, - interesting curve on the 5-car class 802s in Electric mode. If the curve was typical then it is a mistake. If it is from a measured run it looks like it ripped the knitting down at just under 200km/h. :)
It looks like an emergency stop took place or maybe they are advertising maximum braking capability :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks for that. Do I assume that trains with electro-rheostatic or electro-regenerative braking have the same service braking retardation

I believe it is yes, but set up so that the friction brakes (disc or disc and tread) will provide sightly better retardation than the rheostatic/regenerative braking.

London Underground braking on open air sections under ATO seems to be around 5%G.
A Javelin driver friend tells me they are advised to stay well within maximum braking capacity. He claims to use no more than 50% braking capacity as a rule while he acknowledges other drivers may use more braking power.

50% braking would be similar to normal braking with other fully-variable brake equipped trains or using a maximum of Step 2 with 3-step brake equipped trains.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Its gen dmus came on several different flavours. The power twins where the most powerful with 4 150 or 180hp engines for 2 cars with the power with trailer being the slowest. They were however much lighter than modern heavyweights so my fav dmu, the 3 car Rolls Royce powered Calder valley 110 units, would easily keep sprinter times.
The worst were the Class 111 twins where some over promoted bean counter removed half the engines. I seem to remember Manchester had a similar crippled class 104.
May be of interest.
K

There were also units with 230hp Leyland Albion or 238hp Rolls Royce engines.

Railperf

Established Member
Here is a recorded acceleration graph. Reading westbound over the flyover to 125mph.

Orange is a Class 802, Green is a Class 800. Red is an HST, and Blue is an HST recorded before the flyover existed. It can be seen the flyover does not make a huge difference in the time spent reaching the upper speed range!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/586zVtt2e4wpCoam7

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So what was the *actual* top speed. I'm told they could reach 90mph on a downhill gradient with a tail wind.

65.5mph was the maximum permitted by the gearing at max revs. That's what I meant. Coasting downhill would as with any train allow a higher speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.