• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Access at Brookwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneOffDave

I'm looking to relocate to the Surrey/Hampshire border area and I've seen a house near Brookwood Station. As a wheelchair user I've got to pick my stations carefully. does anyone know if Brookwood would be any good for commuting to and from Waterloo using a chair?

If not, any recommendations about accessible stations in that general area would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think the down side platform is wheelchair accessible according to the photos on 'stations made easy'.

There seems to be a flaw in the 'stations made easy' data, it does say the P2 entrance door can be used by wheelchair users unaided, but AFAICT that only gets you to a lobby with stairs up to P2 or down to the subway.

SWT's website has a more accurate description:

Platform 1 (trains to Woking and London) - step free access from station forecourt off Connaught Road through either the booking hall or side gate.

Platform Two (trains to Farnborough and Basingstoke) - no step free access. Interchange - There is no step free interchange between platforms.

Passengers are advised to join the train on platform 1 and change at Woking Passengers travelling from/to Farnham and Alton are advised to use Woking station.

Last edited:

OneOffDave

Yes, I think it's going to be Fleet, Farnborough Main, Aldershot, Alton and Farnham as the stations I'll be able to use. I'm hoping not to have to travel as far out as Basingstoke if I can avoid it. I looked at houses in Hook and Hartley Witney and the weekend and thought that I'd have to use Fleet or Farnborough Main. I know that Farnham involves leaving the station to cross from one side to the other but that route's not too bad.

I need to have a look at those stations in the rush hour too, to see how early the accessible spaces get filled.

duncanp

Established Member
Perhaps it is worth taking a trip to see all of the stations you mention, just to see what they are really like from a wheelchair users' point of view.

Alton, being at the end of the line, would have an advantage in that it will be easier for you to get on to the train whilst it is waiting at the terminus rather than at a station where the train is stopped for only a minute or two. This would also apply in the reverse direction from Waterloo in that you could take your time getting off after everyone else, rather than having to get stressed about whether the ramp will be there, or whether the train will leave before you have had a chance to get off.

OneOffDave

Perhaps it is worth taking a trip to see all of the stations you mention, just to see what they are really like from a wheelchair users' point of view.

Alton, being at the end of the line, would have an advantage in that it will be easier for you to get on to the train whilst it is waiting at the terminus rather than at a station where the train is stopped for only a minute or two. This would also apply in the reverse direction from Waterloo in that you could take your time getting off after everyone else, rather than having to get stressed about whether the ramp will be there, or whether the train will leave before you have had a chance to get off.

If Waterloo is anything like Euston, you always have to wait for the ramp. It's often a 5-10 minute wait and today I had to get myself off the train as the passengers for the outbound service were starting to board before the ramp had arrived. I think I'm going to have to take a couple of days off work so I can see all these stations in the rush hour to get an idea of which one might be best.

TEW

Established Member
I don't think I've seen anyone have to wait that long for a ramp at Waterloo, normally the staff are there straight away. All SWT services have a guard who can deploy a ramp when there are no platform staff available too.

Status
Not open for further replies.