• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Access to Banbury Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Just seen this in the Banbury Guardian...

https://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/n...ter-access-to-banbury-train-station-1-8801755

A plan to open up Tramway Road to give a second access route to Banbury Railway Station is due to get the green light on Tuesday. Oxfordshire County Council is set to approve £2.5m spending for a revamp of Tramway Road – currently blocked off to vehicles – and the surrounding junctions at Hightown Road, Bridge Street, Swan Close Road and Bankside. The junctions at either end and their relationship with neighbouring junctions, plus how the junction of Tramway Road and Station Approach will operate, are fundamental questions for the project,” said a county planning spokesman. We expect a feasibility/concept design stage to conclude in mid-May and it will include a consultation. Erly plans include a two-way bus lane and taxi link past the station and into the town centre by extending Tramway Road into Station Approach, car access to the West Car Park (but not through to Bridge Street) with parking capacity signs.

The aims are to improve access to the station, improve bus reliability times in the south of the town and remove some traffic in the heavily congested Bridge Street area. Early plans show possible installation of traffic lights at the bottom of Bankside and possibly at the junction of Tramway Road, Hightown Road and Swan Close Road.
County councillors will consider the plan at its budget setting meeting on Tuesday as part of £548m spending over ten years on highways and associated infrastructure.

Interesting to see if it ever comes to anything. The Tramway exit has been discussed for ages, and to my mind would make a useful alternative entry/exit to the station. Personally, I'd like to see local buses serving the station.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L&Y Robert

I have often thought that a majestic approach to the station could be engineered by extending George Street eastward, more or less on a straight line. That would make the present tee junction with Upper Windsor Street into a cross-roads. So my proposed Station Approach would continue beyond Upper W. St. (demolish one industrial unit), bridge the canal, abolish the caravan site (that is on the cards anyway), bridge the river Cherwell, cross a banana of derelict land, and: BINGO! - you are in the station car-park, just by the foyer. Road length of approx. 270m. Expensive, I grant, compulsory purchase and all that, 2 bridges as well, but what a splendid approach!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have often thought that a majestic approach to the station could be engineered by extending George Street eastward, more or less on a straight line. That would make the present tee junction with Upper Windsor Street into a cross-roads. So my proposed Station Approach would continue beyond Upper W. St. (demolish one industrial unit), bridge the canal, abolish the caravan site (that is on the cards anyway), bridge the river Cherwell, cross a banana of derelict land, and: BINGO! - you are in the station car-park, just by the foyer. Road length of approx. 270m. Expensive, I grant, compulsory purchase and all that, 2 bridges as well, but what a splendid approach!
I trust you’d allow for electrification clearance of the canal? Always better to be future proof... :)

BanburyBlue

I'm sure there were some proposals a few years ago to re-design Station Approach - I'm pretty sure they were shelved as too expensive.

L&Y Robert

Ah, you jest, SWT! But I've seen an electric canal in France. It was on the approaches to and through a canal tunnel. The canal was wired up, and the 'tug' had trolleybus type trolley poles. It progressed, towing its train of canal boats, by lifting a chain from the canal bed and hauling itself forward along it, letting it sink back to the bottom behind. But we digress . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.