• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Access to dawlish warren for tall vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
So the thread on railway islands got me thinking about dawlish warren which is largely cut off by the Great Western Mainline. As far as I can tell the only open vehicle access to the warren runs under a rather small bridge. Cars and some vans can get under there but I'm pretty sure a lorry would not. For pedestrians there is also a footbridge and connections to the coast path.

There is also what looks like a level crossing but it doesn't show on maps and IIRC when I was last there (a few years back) it was signposted as closed and protected by locked gates.

I am pretty certain there are mobile fairground rides on the warren that would not fit under said bridge. Did they cross before the level crossing was closed? do they make exceptions to the closure if something larger needs to get on or off the warren (asside from the fairground rides I would think larger vehicles would occasionally be needed for purposes like maintaining the sea defenses).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hi how about the below?
Beach Rd
Was in Warren last month ironically. Fairly busy for a weekday but it was 28C and sunny.

plugwash

Established Member
Yeah, that is the level crossing I mentioned that last time i was there had signs saying it was closed (and looks to be fenced off in your picture too).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The crossing at Dawlish Warren allows access for R/R vehicles to the line and access for emergency services in an emergency. There have been a few fires on the sea side and the fire and ambulance services complained their usual appliances couldn't get to site due to the low bridge. IIRC it has a telephone to Exeter panel.

Lucan

Established Member
I would be surprised if there were no emergency access for fire engines into that area, as there appear to be pavillions and a pub on the far side. If there is a locked gate to the crossing I expect the local fire brigade would possess a key and the phone number to the line controller to stop trains.

Another commercial entity had to shut down because of a low railway bridge on the access road, the Duke of Lancaster, a former British Railways ship moored on the North Wales coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.