• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accessible coach logistics on Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingqueen

A senior manager in Caledonian Sleeper has emailed me to explain a few things.
When there is an accessible room booking for our existing Highlander trains we need to arrange for the accessible coach to be added to the train as there is a limited number, which was an inherited issue. This involves confirming the availability of coaches at a set location and coordinating with our maintenance fleet team. In the past, accessible rooms were booked at the station, but requests for the accessible coach were not made therefore on the evening of travel the correct coach was not there. To prevent this from happing we implemented the policy that all accessible room bookings were made in-house so we can ensure the accessible coach is requested. We have been doing it this way since taking over the franchise
Mark Smith (The Man in Seat 61) updated his review on Saturday confirming an Accessible Double room is next to the Club Car. This is correct on all services expect from Euston to Fort William. As we are the longest passenger train in the UK with 16 coaches, it is not possible for individual Club Cars and the Fort William service shares a Club Car with our Aberdeen service. Access is available on the section between Edinburgh and Fort William, but not on the section between Edinburgh and London Euston. We do offer the full room service menu that you and your carer can order from. This will not change when the Mark 5's come into service on the Highlander routes.
Comment: I defy anybody to find on the Caledonian Sleeper website or in any of their literature, the fact that wheelchair users traveling in the accessible double on the Fort William service have no access to the lounge between London and Edinburgh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

twpsaesneg

A senior manager in Caledonian Sleeper has emailed me to explain a few things.

Comment: I defy anybody to find on the Caledonian Sleeper website or in any of their literature, the fact that wheelchair users traveling in the accessible double on the Fort William service have no access to the lounge between London and Edinburgh.

I think they might have noticed your post....

https://www.sleeper.scot/accessible-travel-with-caledonian-sleeper/

On most services, our accessible double room has direct wheelchair access to the Club Car through a wheelchair accessible connection between coaches, and the Club Car also has dedicated wheelchair space. This direct access is only unavailable on our London Euston-Fort William service between London and Edinburgh in each direction, due to our train formation when this service shares a Club Car with our Aberdeen service. Access is available on the section between Edinburgh and Fort William. Guests in our twin accessible rooms can order from our extensive room service menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.