• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accident near Thames Ditton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
On my local radio station this morning a caller to the antiques and collectables segment had a SR gate wheel made by Westinghouse. He said he found it in a stream beside where a signal box had once stood. This box had apparently been demolished by an accident. The actual name of the box was not mentioned but was between Hampton Court and Thames Ditton. Anyone know anything about this? Incidently the "expert" valued the wheel at £100.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There have been derailments at Hampton Court Junction that I am aware of, but not anything on the branch itself ( doesn't mean it hasn't happened ).

Jona26

Also as most of the line from Hampton Court Junction until approx halfway from Thames Ditton to Hampton Court is on a high embankment it somewhat narrows down the location to a single possible crossing - Speer Road Summer Road I think.

I was raised in Thames Ditton from the early 1970s and certainly can't recall anything major from say mid/late 70s onwards. Although I do have vague memories of gates prior to conversion to barriers.

Edit to add: It's a nasty approach for vehicle drivers due to the bends/ junctions on the approach. I'm surprised there have not been incidents here as if you aren't familiar with the area and have not seen the signage...

Further edit: crossing name - I've been away too long!

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
The original box at the crossing of Summer Road, which is only recorded as Hampton Court Crossing, was closed after being damaged by a derailment on 15 October 1947. It was replaced by a ‘temporary’ box that lasted nearly ten years.

Source: Signal Box Register, volume 4 (Signalling Record Society, 2009).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The original box at the crossing of Summer Road, which is only recorded as Hampton Court Crossing, was closed after being damaged by a derailment on 15 October 1947. It was replaced by a ‘temporary’ box that lasted nearly ten years.

Source: Signal Box Register, volume 4 (Signalling Record Society, 2009).
This seems to fit the incident described. The wheel had been found in the 60s long after the box had closed. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.