• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accident on NYMR, 21-9-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I did wonder why the Grosmont live cam had been changed to private earlier, this probably explains why.

2HAP

A diesel locomotive is involved.

A spokesperson for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway said: "We can confirm that there was a collision at 10.32am today between a diesel locomotive and a stationary set of carriages at Grosmont Station. All passengers were taken off the stationary train and transported back to Whitby; there were no serious injuries reported.

TheEdge

Established Member
Without descending into conjecture was this as part of a run round or an unintentional coming together?

DanNCL

Established Member
Reported elsewhere that the locomotive involved was a class 20. Thankfully there are no serious injuries.

John Webb

Established Member
I was watching the Grosmont camera just after the collision, although I didn't know that's what had happened until I saw this thread. I did note a number of people clustered around the end of the train, front of the loco. It was shortly after that that the camera was turned off.

Watching the Goathland camera late this afternoon it was clear that the services had been significantly affected; I wondered why. And they are supposed to be starting the Steam Gala on Thursday!

KeithMcC

I was there last Friday and there were 2 class 20s - one in blue and 1 in London Underground livery. The blue one pushed the lunch Pullman with the J27 on the front.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was there last Friday and there were 2 class 20s - one in blue and 1 in London Underground livery. The blue one pushed the lunch Pullman with the J27 on the front.

I think 20142 is the other one. Are these both mainline registered ones does anyone know?

On Moderation
I think 20142 is the other one. Are these both mainline registered ones does anyone know?
They are both mainline registered, which means that unusually for an incident on a preserved railway there should be an OTMR download available for the RAIB.

John Webb

Established Member
Update on the NYMR website. See https://www.nymr.co.uk/news/collision-update-from-nymr:
We can confirm that there was a collision at 10:52 on Tuesday 21st September between a diesel locomotive and a stationary set of carriages at Grosmont station. All passengers were taken off the stationary train and transported back to Whitby; there were no serious injuries reported. As with all such accidents, it is currently being investigated by the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Board).

This weekend’s Annual Steam Gala will go ahead as planned (Thursday 23rd to Sunday 26th September), and we are pleased to announce that locomotive No. 60163 Tornado arrived this morning from Crewe Heritage Centre.

It was the LT liveried loco involved, by the way. (See comments below)

Grosmont camera is back in action.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Whatever it is the nearest wheelset on that coach looks a good 4 inches in the air to me.

GC class B1

If they are buckeye coupled and the buckeye couplers are fitted with a lower shelf bracket they should not be buffer locked unless the impact was so great that the couplers or pivot pins broke.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
If driven from the facing position on a curve like that it's possible the driver could have misjudged the stopping distance.

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
What constitutes a collision here? Presumably the loco didn’t stop when it came into contact with the coaches, which would have had their brakes on? Or just buffering up rather too firmly? (I know I’m at risk of starting rumours based on conjecture; that’s not my intention, I’m merely seeking a definition)

Dunfanaghy Rd

In my life as a shunter with DB buffering up without stopping 2 metres short beforehand was classed as a collision. No idea if that is general on HRs (I can see the problem with steam locos), but there was logic at work there (as well as the Rule Book).
Pat

What constitutes a collision here? Presumably the loco didn’t stop when it came into contact with the coaches, which would have had their brakes on? Or just buffering up rather too firmly? (I know I’m at risk of starting rumours based on conjecture; that’s not my intention, I’m merely seeking a definition)
I would suggest by the distance between the loco and coaches and the fact that the 4th coach is derailed that this is firmly a collision as buffering up to firmly would not have had the results shown in the photos

2HAP

To me, this incident sounds like what would have been descibed in olden days as a "heavy shunt".

GC class B1

I would suggest by the distance between the loco and coaches and the fact that the 4th coach is derailed that this is firmly a collision as buffering up to firmly would not have had the results shown in the photos
Is the fourth coach derailed?. What do you mean by the distance between the loco and coaches? I can’t determine either from the photographs. I agree it does look to be more impact than buffer up.

paul1609

Established Member
In my life as a shunter with DB buffering up without stopping 2 metres short beforehand was classed as a collision. No idea if that is general on HRs (I can see the problem with steam locos), but there was logic at work there (as well as the Rule Book).
Pat
That's the rule on my heritage railway as well.

raflec

I always was taught before buffering up you stop twice.
Once at 6 foot and again at 2 foot.

Is the fourth coach derailed?. What do you mean by the distance between the loco and coaches? I can’t determine either from the photographs. I agree it does look to be more impact than buffer up.
Worth having a look at the photos on this person's Flickr feed which shows the train after the accident, the loco is in the position it finished in after the smash.

Veteran Member
Worth having a look at the photos on this person's Flickr feed which shows the train after the accident, the loco is in the position it finished in after the smash.
It's the 3rd coach not the 4th (and possibly the 1st, looked at from the platform side) that look to be in an "awkward" position, whether or not they are derailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.